Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
the 4" dash speakers aren't going to have much output below about 120Hz, so a 50Hz rollover isn't gonna happen.

even my kid's massive stage PA system, the 15" 3-way mains run about a 80 or 100Hz crossover to the dual 18" subs... The DSPs in his system are built into the 2KW Crown amps built into each of the powered speaker cabinets, and all managed over ethernet from an ipad. These give clean high SPL bass down to 30Hz or so, and you'd better be wearing earplugs AND headphones if you're working directly in front of them when they are cranked

Registered
Mercedes-Benz
Well there you go, I have dsp on my head unit, not sure if it uses the mic to calibrate? 20 years...ha bout how long I've been out of the car audio game 馃榿
The mic on your headunit isn't doing anything but taking phone calls.

the 4" dash speakers aren't going to have much output below about 120Hz, so a 50Hz rollover isn't gonna happen.

even my kid's massive stage PA system, the 15" 3-way mains run about a 80 or 100Hz crossover to the dual 18" subs... The DSPs in his system are built into the 2KW Crown amps built into each of the powered speaker cabinets, and all managed over ethernet from an ipad. These give clean high SPL bass down to 30Hz or so, and you'd better be wearing earplugs AND headphones if you're working directly in front of them when they are cranked
The first sentence is exactly why OP wants the door speakers to draw some bass information up front.

After that, PA systems aren't HiFi systems or car audio systems - far different design goals and limitations.

Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
Discussion Starter #43
Response to all of you, thx for all your help,
so this is my current setup:
Head Unit: JVC KD-X340BTS: Rated at 22W RMS
Front and Rear Speakers: QUANTUM QE ESX-120s Front and Rear: Rated at 80 RMS at 4 ohms Each
4 Channel Amp: Kenwood KAC-304 AMP: Rated at 60W RMS at 4 ohms for 4 Channels
Subwoofer: Dual Skar IX-12D2 Rated at 500W RMS at 2 ohms, Ported Box
Mono Sub Amp: JBL Club 5501 Rated at 600w RMS at 2 ohms
I just took it to this very professional audio shop with amazing ratings, they tuned all the amps, with an SMD distortion detector and now I do NOT need those door speakers. The bass is so powerful it sounds like it's coming from the front even though I know it's not. I would record it, but it won't do justice. This is hands down the BEST speaker system I have ever listened to in my entire life. It fricking slams, The Highs, the mids, and the lows are all just bumping with each other. Absolutely perfected!
The Total Cost of Everything Listed above was about $550. I got both amps and my head unit used on eBay, All in like-new condition. Everything else is brand new.
Ohh also $50 for the perfect tuning which was worth every penny so total is a $600 Speaker System which is modern and so much better than most factory systems.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts