Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
E320, 1994, 1995
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

In the last 5-6 years, my e320 has been eating up tires. I have had to purchase 3 sets of tires so far. The first set was Yokohama YK520, out within two years. The second set is Falken, which lasted less than 18 months. My current set is Yokohama YK520 again. After the Falken set, I realized that my garage floor was in bad shape and it acted like sand paper every time I pulled the car out. I fixed the floor and thought everything should be fine now. The third set was Yokohama again, all purchased from discount tires with some credits. I had to realignment the car twice, in 2008 and 2010. Now, after only 18,000 miles, it is again badly worn with just over 2/32 to 3/32 left. It is also show uneven wear. Discount tires will charge me $313 for a new set of Michelin Defender 91T tires (195/65/15) with $57 perforated credit per tire. In short, I have paid over $1000 for three sets of tires for less than six years, which is getting ridiculous. I have not made a decision to buy a new set yet. In the last two years, I rebalanced and rotated tires regularly at discount tires (free).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jay

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,701 Posts
Falkins DO NOT LAST but they grip good. I had Falkins the rear of my E320 and on a Subaru Forester. I know they are worn down by mis-alignment on the E320 they only have @ 4 to 5000 total miles on them as it is an away from home car. On the Forester they only lasted @30,000 miles. I need tires on my 300ce and I'm going to pay the price for Michliens mxv4.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,723 Posts
I did the same complain in W210 section about tires on my 1998 sedan. I had Firehawks with 50,000 miles thread and at 53,000 the rear tires went bold on inner side. Still have the front wheels moved to back axle running 55k and I still complain ;)
New tires are Michelins with 60k thread.

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Falkens are miserable tires in my opinion. That particular Yokohama is not much better. I have never heard of a Michelin Defender, probably private branded to Discount Tire.

Get yourself a "real" set of Michelin Primacy's and a proper alignment. Take care of them; rotations every 6k, balance every other rotation, keep an eye on the pressures, your good!

Just noticed you mentioned a "T" rated tire--- You should go with a "H", a "V" would be even better, you'll thank yourself later once the wallet heals.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,395 Posts
If the alignment was not done by a alignment professional using a spreader bar with the suspension under load, then your car is still out of alignment.

As far as tires go. Michelin Primacys are the best for these cars although I am very good luck with Pirelli P5. Continentals are also very good, but not as long lived as the Michelins.

IMO, buck up and pay for Michelins at Costco before getting the car aligned, this time by a proper shop using the proper tools.

·
Registered
E320, 1994, 1995
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the alignment was not done by a alignment professional using a spreader bar with the suspension under load, then your car is still out of alignment.

As far as tires go. Michelin Primacys are the best for these cars although I am very good luck with Pirelli P5. Continentals are also very good, but not as long lived as the Michelins.

IMO, buck up and pay for Michelins at Costco before getting the car aligned, this time by a proper shop using the proper tools.
The alignments were done at proper shops with laser tools. My tie rod on the passenger side did go bad and the drag link wore out completely. All these problems were a year after the alignment. I probably will go with Michelin Defender which is the latest Michelin tires with 90 k miles warranty. The tire shop recommends T rated tires because they use harder rubber for a longer life. I will give it a few more months before getting new tires. I will also drive slower when it rains.

Thanks for all the comments. My question is really 18,000 miles for a set of new tires with Yokohama YK520 are simply not right. My driving style is not aggressive at all and I rarely brake hard.

Jay

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,395 Posts
Using laser tools is far less critical when doing a alignment on these older cars with a steering box than having a spreader bar.

Without the spreader bar, your car will never have a chance of being within factory specs.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,723 Posts
years ago I bought totaled Volvo that was side-swipped by a pickup. Even I fixed the car pretty well, I was never able to pull the uni-frame straight so the car was 4-track for 15 years we owned it. Still buying 60k tires at Costco gave us min 55k miles of tire life.
So the question is ... is the real problem the car... or the tires..... or the cheap owner?

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,548 Posts
How long they last depends primarily on how you drive. Where you drive. How you maintain your vehicle.

If the alignment has been done repeatedly and the tires have been changed several times, barring a problem with your suspension pieces, i'd have to blame the driver.

There's no way you got three sets of defective tires. That's statistically improbable. Or three bad alignments.

Don't drive aggressively. Avoid city driving, canyons, hills. Take freeways as much as possible. Harder rubber should alleviate the problem a little.

I get >80k miles on my tires regardless of brand. I stick to freeways as much as possible and ease onto the gas and brakes. I buy Michelins only for my W124s but sometimes you buy a car with crappy tires on it already.... My distance to work on the street is 12 miles; 15 on the freeway. Takes about the same time thanks to traffic. But on the freeway I just leave a 2- 3 car gap between myself and the car ahead of me and just constantly coast into that gap. I disregard the cars that "cut me off" and maintain my space. I am not racing. there is no prize for getting there 30 seconds earlier. City streets have stop lights every mile and intersections in between....

Edit; Obviously performance tires won't last as long as touring or all season tires.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,701 Posts
How long they last depends primarily on how you drive. Where you drive. How you maintain your vehicle.

If the alignment has been done repeatedly and the tires have been changed several times, barring a problem with your suspension pieces, i'd have to blame the driver.

There's no way you got three sets of defective tires. That's statistically improbable. Or three bad alignments.

Don't drive aggressively. Avoid city driving, canyons, hills. Take freeways as much as possible. Harder rubber should alleviate the problem a little.

I get >80k miles on my tires regardless of brand. I stick to freeways as much as possible and ease onto the gas and brakes. I buy Michelins only for my W124s but sometimes you buy a car with crappy tires on it already.... My distance to work on the street is 12 miles; 15 on the freeway. Takes about the same time thanks to traffic. But on the freeway I just leave a 2- 3 car gap between myself and the car ahead of me and just constantly coast into that gap. I disregard the cars that "cut me off" and maintain my space. I am not racing. there is no prize for getting there 30 seconds earlier. City streets have stop lights every mile and intersections in between....
In a properly maintained car 200,000 freeway miles is probably = to 70,000 street miles....running on the street is very hard on cars. I may not be exaggerating enough.

·
Registered
94 E320 Wagon--218K miles, 1995 E320 Sedan--101K miles, 1994 E500 Sedan--78K miles
194 Posts
+ 1 on the use of the spreader bar when doing the alignment!

I recently had one of my cars aligned by a very reputable "tire shop". The specs shown on the printout were incorrect, the tech reported adjustment was at limits--also incorrect (I had to explain how the eccentric bolts on the lower control arms work...) When I asked about the spreader bar they used they replied they hadn't seen it in several years...... I suspect they never even had one.

Bottom line is this: it is very very unlikely that a non MB tire/alignment shop can do this job properly. I also have experienced excessive tire wear, especially on the front. I now have my cars aligned at the MB dealer.......

J. M. van Swaay

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
#12 is absolutely spot on. Don't bother going anywhere else but a Dealer with a knowledgeable Tech.
You may need to replace a bunch of steering and suspension parts first though, otherwise it may well be pretty much a waste of time.

·
Registered
E320, 1994, 1995
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
years ago I bought totaled Volvo that was side-swipped by a pickup. Even I fixed the car pretty well, I was never able to pull the uni-frame straight so the car was 4-track for 15 years we owned it. Still buying 60k tires at Costco gave us min 55k miles of tire life.
So the question is ... is the real problem the car... or the tires..... or the cheap owner?
Yes, Cheaper owner is partially to blame. Yokohama tires are that cheap though. It is $91 per tire. $450 total. Two alignments cost $100 and $95 each. This cheaper drive also drives not aggressively.

I would say, E320 1994-1195 are dream cars for cheaper owners like me.

Jay

·
Registered
E320, 1994, 1995
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Edit; Obviously performance tires won't last as long as touring or all season tires.
I am not an aggressive driver. My daily driving to work is about half and half in street and high way. Once I got the new tires, I will use the dealer to align it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,548 Posts
I am not an aggressive driver. My daily driving to work is about half and half in street and high way. Once I got the new tires, I will use the dealer to align it and see how it goes.
I didn't say you are an aggressive driver, did I?

How you drive. Where you drive. How you maintain your vehicle. Those are going to be the three biggest factors in determining tire wear.

You may not drive aggressively, but driving on city streets or canyons is very hard on the tires. Concrete and blacktop and cobble stones are all going to abrade the tires differently. Maintenance is self explanatory.

You've told us nothing, otherwise, about your car, how long you've had it, how many miles on the car, how many miles you travel to work daily, it's maintenance, accident history, does anyone else drive the car etc.

Statistically, it's improbable that you got three sets of bad tires. Nigh on impossible. If they did the alignment each time, it's possible that they did it incorrectly, but you've not detailed exactly what the irregular wear is on the tires.

If your car has high miles, then it's possible that it's just going to start chewing up tires. One of my clients, a car enthusiast with a W126 he's had since new, told me that once he got over 400K miles it started chewing tires. He refreshed the suspension to no end. The same tires that used to give him 60K miles now only lasted 20K. He had several different sets of tires, all high end Michelin Primacy MXV4, installed to no avail; same result. On his 4th set of tires his tire guy (also my guy) told him exactly the same thing i'm telling you; it's statistically improbable to get three sets of bad tires in a row.

You might just be at that point...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts