Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will you help? I have a 1999 E300TD Mercedes. When it is first cranked in the morning and the gearshift is in "park", there is no problem and the car runs fine. As soon as I put the car in reverse it begins vibrating excessively. When I back out of my garage and put the transmission in a forward gear, the car continues to vibrate but not as bad in the foward gear as it did in the reverse gear. After driving the car for 30 or 45 min. the vibration is gone except to a very minor degree when braking around a corner. The car seems to do fine for the rest of the day but starts all over again the next morning with the same routine. Could it have something to do with the ABS or the tracking system? I bought an OBD II reader (model #99722) from Harbor freight but it did not show any codes triggered. I suspect the code reader is no good for the Mercedes.

(1) Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem with the car and what to do about it?

(2) C:(an anyone suggest to me a reasonably priced code reader that will work on my car and where to obtain it?

Any help on both questions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
I am confused. Is it the vibration on parked car that might come from bad motor mounts, or drivetrain surge during driving?
All OBDII scanners should read the codes. Higher price gives you memory and more options

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E300 TD vibration

Thanks for Your Response. I am fairly familiar with motor and transmission mounts and I do not believe it is a motor mount or transmission mount problem. After the car warms up there is virtually no problem. I have suspicions that it might be in the speed sensors but I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than I have could give me a little guidance.

As far as the OBD II code reader is concerned, when I first ran the system no codes were triggered. I then removed the fuel tank cap :(and ran the program again with the code reader and it still did not show that any code had been triggered. Perhaps the code reader is defective if it should work on my car but doesn't.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
I am not sure our diesels have vacuum sensor triggering the code on fuel tank and even if they do, the error take some time to show with cap loosened.
Coming back to the vibration, I understand it happens mostly on cold engine at rolling speeds? That could be lot of reasons, but I would start with basics like checking flex disks, cleaning ABS sensors and making sure brake fluid is fresh and clean.
Other option is to take the car to a shop and pay them for full scan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E300 TD vibration

I don't suppose I was clear on the symptoms. In the morning, when the car is first cranked and the gear shift is in "Park", the car runs perfectly with no vibration. When the car is put into either a forward or reverse gear, with my foot still on the brake and the car has not moved, it immediately starts vibrating. As I back out of my garage it continues to vibrate. When I drive forward it continues to vibrate but not as badly as it did when I was backing out of the garage. By the time I drive the distance from my garage to the road down my driveway(550 feet)the vibration is very minimal and is only noticeable when driving away from my driveway on the roadway. During the next 30 or 45 min. of driving the vibration is gone even when I back up or move forward. After I leave my driveway there is no vibration when the car is traveling. The only time I can feel any vibration after that is when I turn a corner while braking and then the vibration is very minimal. There is no further problem for the rest of the day but the problem begins again the next day when when I first crank the car in the garage:(.

Does this more complete information help you in narrowing what the problem might be? Any suggestion is appreciated.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Noise and vibration is very hard to describe in details over the internet, but that brings me back to first question. If you have vibration and no engine surging on parked car -it has to be mounts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
E300 TD vibration

I appreciate your response but do you have any explanation as to why the car exhibits this behavior when it is first driven in the morning and then does not do it anymore for the rest of the day no matter how far or how long it is driven or how many starts and stops I made during the day?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E300 TD vibration

It's almost 1 AM at my location and about my bedtime but I'll check your response in the morning. Thanks and have a good evening.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Cold engine works differently than the warm one and mounts can change their position depends on temperature.
Bad news is, that we don't have a good test for MM and the only way to make sure is to put new ones.
How old are your MM anyway?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
As above, the cold engine will naturally vibrate more than a hot engine. Thus this will be accentuated in the morning. So, it does sound like the mounts, and as the day goes on the engine becomes smoother and the vibration less evident.

When you turn the engine off, does it give a big shake?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does this happen to all Diesels?

Hmmmm interesting. My 1997 E300D, non turbo, does the same thing. Sounds just like OEM's problem, correct me if Im wrong, but this may be something in common with diesels?

Mileage is shy of 300K, and the car was never taken care of before I bought it a month ago. I also suspect trans or motor mounts. So my symptoms are :

1. Problem is worse when cold. I can reproduce it by starting in the morning with parking break on, then just shifting into "R", the whole car vibrates. It doesnt do it in "D", just "R". After a thorough warm up, it deosnt do it in either.

2. Highway deceleration. So driving in "D", obviously, if I drive down an off ramp, on an incline, she vibrates on deceleration. If I give it some gas, it stops vibrating.

So this leads me to trans mount or motor mount. Even probably isolate it to a specific one, due to the rotation. But here's the wierd one:

3. Just coasting low speeds with slight throttle, on a turn on the right direction also does it. So its not just deceleration or revers, it has to do with turning.

So this sounds like power steering pump. Could also be a burnt axle? I know the thing was leaking, but I replaced the oil recently too, but who knows if the damage was already done.

I dunno if I have multiple problems, or theres something wrong in general. I know the PO was an idiot and was just driving the car into the ground.

I replaced the trans oil recently, filter, and elec. plug. Havent checked my codes yet, but I was just going to lifter her up and see if anything is obviously broken.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Not just the diesels, but diesels run with more vibration, therefore bad MM will be more obvious than on gasoline engine.
So generally the MM on W210 are not lasting long. If you are sure they are older than 100,000 miles, they are past due for replacement. Replacing MM on I6 diesel is easy job, so don't think twice. TM last long time, but with $27 for OEM you might want to replace this one as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vibration

Please excuse my delay in responding to your advice. I am embarrassed for not showing my appreciation sooner. however, I did not ignore your advice, to the contrary, I immediately bought two new motor mounts and installed them. That corrected the problem like magic. I do appreciate the good advice that you gave me and hope that someday I will have the opportunity to repay the favor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having exactly this same behavior on my 1999 E300TD (same car as described in the discussion). It has been 17 years with me and this is the first time I see this. It only applies to cold starts, once the car is warmed up it is smooth and runs nicely. Did anyone track a resolution of this 2011 post ? I know it is 5 years later.... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts