Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been having this rather odd problem with my 1992 E300 mercedes and I was curious if any of you know what could be wrong or have heard of the problem.

When I start my car and hit the road, the engine would die randomly, maybe 5-10 minutes after I turned on the engine. An early indication is always when the RPM needle suddenly falls to 0 when I get off the gas. I can sometimes prevent it from dying by furiously shifting around to 3rd or 2nd and hitting the gas pedal. The main problem is that it always happens when approaching intersections, and sometimes takes 2-5 minutes to get it started again.

Now, once 10 minutes or so passed, and the engine reached the normal temperature, the problem goes away. It's only in the very beginning. This has lead me to believe the start automatic is causing it. The 1992 cars have this, now dated, technolocy that kinda preserves the engine in the beginning so it doesn't reach high rpms when it's cold. However, I have no idea how to fix it or if that is, indeed, the problem.

Has anyone heard or even experienced this problem?

Oh and the engine is a 6 cylinder, automatic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
You belong in the W124 forum buddy

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The 123 and 124 ‘buttons’ are close together and he just hit the wrong one – it could happen to anyone.

You may have a vacuum leak. There could be a problem with the cold start valve. There may also be a problem with the EHA, it’s an electronically activated valve (from the engine control unit) which controls the pressure differential in the fuel distributor. Do you sometimes smell gas when trying to start cold? If so suspect the EHA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdc1244a - 5/1/2005 9:06 AM

The 123 and 124 ‘buttons’ are close together and he just hit the wrong one – it could happen to anyone.

You may have a vacuum leak. There could be a problem with the cold start valve. There may also be a problem with the EHA, it’s an electronically activated valve (from the engine control unit) which controls the pressure differential in the fuel distributor. Do you sometimes smell gas when trying to start cold? If so suspect the EHA.
Hey, thanks for the reply. To answer your question, No i don't smell gas when I start cold.

Is this a rare problem though, or is it quite common?

Oh an sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I overlooked the dates... my bad, maybe someone can move it. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts