Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there is no life in it. No power no pickup. I was forced to downshift to get a bit of speed. also code p0380 came up. Just install new glow plugs maybe 10k ago. Car starts and idle smooth at 13 degreeF.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,729 Posts
You have problem with glow plugs. They would affect the cold start up, but not hot engine performance.
What is 0 to 60 time now, comparing to few months ago?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
It looks like there is no life in it. No power no pickup. I was forced to downshift to get a bit of speed. also code p0380 came up. Just install new glow plugs maybe 10k ago. Car starts and idle smooth at 13 degreeF.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, P0380 is an OBD fault for an issue with the pre glow indicator lamp.

You need to check the small two wire connection on the right side of the pre glow output. Pull the connector and at the pre glow you should have less than one ohm.---------if more you need a new pe glow output module.

This has nothing to do with a loss of power. The post start glow(afterglowing) is time sensitive and limited to staying on for 3 minutes when the coolent temp is less than 60C

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
I remember the non turbo diesels have 0-60 in the range 10-12 sec?
As Oliver said -start with basics. Fuel filters, air filter, check for air bubbles in fuel lines.
Try to erase the code on warm engine. I experienced in the past, that with pedal sensor code, the computer was putting the engine in what I call "safe mode" with symptoms like you have.

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great tips. I will change the fuel filters(canister and the little mesh filter).
By the way they both have about 21k. The air filter is probably 7-8k because I am doing a new air filter with every oil change. I made that as a habit since the air filter is about $11.
The intake should not be an Issue because the EGR is isolated from the day I got the car around 60k.
Now the car has about 140k. I have read some posts talking about vacuum pump horror story. Is there any chance that can be a vacuum pump issue?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Your check engine light would come on if there was a vacuum issue with the EGR lift valve. It's not on, right!!

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The light is on with the code p0380 for a long time withe no other simptoms. This power issue is fairly new a week or so.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I know that with my 606.962 engine(1999TD) I get a P0380 the engine control module will establish a reduced power mode untill fixed and the code removed.

Fix the problem, then get the code deleted.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what It could be? I have new Glow plugs, no vacuum leeks, new K40 relay, new diesel filter and all the fuel lines replaces, no diesel leaks whatsoever.
What should I look in to?

·
Registered
E300TD 1997 W210 Running on WVO and a % of dino...
1,206 Posts
you don't have any code on the MAF?
You might want to look at the tank strainer, it might be blocked.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't think so as Plutoe saod:
P0380 is an OBD fault for an issue with the pre glow indicator lamp
this has nothing to do with no power I think?
But perhaps it does?
If no power/ boost, usually its the MAF,
or it could be that the pump cannot get enough fuel, as you changed it all at the front the only other option I see is a blocked strainer.
Dunno about the code P0380 tho. Sorry.
I am just trying to see the cheap option to start with.
The maf is dear tho... There is no other code then the one you posted?
here is a topic on your code:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1232922-p0380-glow-plug-heater-ckt-malfunction.html
again it seems not to affect the power.

·
Registered
36,729 Posts
Plutoe confirmed my experience that with any, even unrelated code the computer will put engine in reduced power mode. So it is very likely that glow plug code staying for long could trigger that.
What makes me wonder is your report that you have been driving with the code for long time, while reduced power mode happened lately?
This way, or the other you know you have a problem with GP. Fix that and go from there.

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got that, but how can I fix the glow plug issue.
The only other part is the relay or... the harness.
Where should I start or how do I make an accurate diagnostic?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you have a multimeter you can see which glow is burned. Just pull the plug from the relay, put the multimeter on 200 ohms(?), and see the value that came up. The red wire in the plug, the black on the car body. A dead glow will show 1 as a value. Check the 6 wires on the plug like this. The plug as the glowplug number written on it. 1 to 6.
Don't know how to check the relay tho.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I got that, but how can I fix the glow plug issue.
The only other part is the relay or... the harness.
Where should I start or how do I make an accurate diagnostic?

We keep telling you P0380 IS NOT A GLOW PLUG ISSUE. P0380 is an issue with the PreGlow circuit repeat PreGlow circuit that is not functioning correctly.

At issue is the two wire connector between the preglow and engine module and or the six wire plug on the pre glow module. The module can't be fixed------------------you need a new one.

The location is under the hood,on the drivers side, on top of the wheel well. They are about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1995 E320
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got that clear and I do know how a bad glow plug act like. I had a bad one and the engine was shaking few seconds on start up.
Now to tell you what I did. I did check the resistance on the six pin plug and they all came to about 0.55-0.6 ohms. I did not check the two wire plug. What resistance should I get?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
With the ignition off------------the value should be less than one repeat one ohm.

Remember you are testing the pre glow module not the IFI module, therefore don't test the wiring harness, test the pins on the module.

Your test of the glow plugs had already been confirmed as OK by the engine control module.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts