Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I recently bought a e250 turbodiesel sedan.
First of all, what is the normal oil pressure at idle warmed engine?
One issue i see is that i can feel while sitting inside, the car shaking a bit.
I assume this isn't normal, so what should i check? Engine mounts? The gearstick doesnt shake, but it shakes me while sitting on the drivers seat.
Also, what type of oil does this engine normally use?
Another thing, i feel the car is powerless under 2500 rpm. When does the turbo for this model kick in? The spec says 231nm at 2400rpm, but i see almost no boots on the turbo until 2500, getting to a 0.8 by 3000. Is this normal?

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Do the engine and trans mounts first and foremost. Use only Boge/SACHS or OE MB for the engine mounts and Phoenix/OE MB for the trans. It will transform your car by minimizing shake. With new mounts, you should not be able to feel any vibration coming through the steering wheel.

The turbo boost depends on a lot of things. What is the state of your vacuum system, the state of your turbo, is there endshaft play, soot build up, etc, etc, etc.???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, and thanks for your reply.
The previous owner did the wastegate conversion to pressure one. He also installed 2 gauges, one for pressure boost and the other for vacuum.
The boost gauge shows a steady 0.8-0.9 bar while flooring the pedal after 2500.
But i dont know what is the normal pressure from the get go. I mean if anybody can tell what is the normal boost at 2000 rpm for example..
Thank you

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
These cars are from the 80s, so you have to accept turbo lag. That's the nature of the beast.

If you're coming from newer cars with variable geometry turbos and such, then yes these cars will feel as if they are off their game.

1 bar is about right, and don't expect to reach that until past 2500

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is what i want to know. If the car is working fine as it is. I dont expect to pull like newer diesels.
I am just wondering if it is ok like this, when climbing a hill to downgrade and work it between 2500-3500?
On the other hand, i just returned from France almost 2000 km with it back home and i did also 160km/h on the highway. Fuel consumption made from full tank to full tank was first time 6.8 driven mildly cca 130km/h and legal speed on country roads.
Second time it was 7.8l/100km driven with 150km/h on the highway mostly for 700 km. So i guess the fuel consumption is within specifications?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well mine is manual 5 speed trans. So judging by the consumption, it must mean it is well tuned atm?

·
Registered
16,750 Posts
Let's just say it is running OK. Tuning these cars is a whole different animal

You can try to improve it a little bit by changing all filters and fluids and regularly running a good injector cleaner, such as Liqui Moly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the Liquy Moly cleaner i pour it into the tank? Better to have less fuel in the tank or? Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello. I feel my car has some hiccups under 2000 k rpm when flooring it. Also it lacks torque under 2000, just as if there is no turbo. On the boost gauge i see some turbo boost only after 2000 rpm, slowly showing 0.1-0.2 and 0.5+ over 2500rpm. I also noticed some smoke when flooring it past 3500 rpm.
Any ideas what to check here? I have read something about the Alda tweaking, but i didnt understand much of how that should be done.
I dont really know if it is normal that the car feels so sluggish under 2500 rpm. Basically when climbing any hill it feels like guttless at around 2000 rpm. Also for example in 2nd gear, starting from 1500 rpm if i floor it, it doesnt feel like pulling unless it reaches 2500 rpm. So? Weird stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts