Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm rebuilding a W210 E240 V6 (112 911) motor. Does anyone know how to time up the balance shaft? I marked the cams while stripping but by the time I came to the balance shaft the engine has turned with the timing chain hanging loose. Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The chain has three links that are a different colour to the rest and these line up with spots on the sprockets, also the rear of the engine balance shaft has a hole which lines up with a hole in the engine, to access this you will need to remove the flywheel;

Attachments

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric, just what I was looking for. Does the hole at the back of the balance shaft align at TDC or at 40 deg ATDC (where cams are aligned)?

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks Eric, just what I was looking for. Does the hole at the back of the balance shaft align at TDC or at 40 deg ATDC (where cams are aligned)?
I have no idea, we peg the balance shaft before starting the timing the idea being to get the chain aligned first and then do the timing.

·
Registered
W210 E 240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it should then be at 40 deg ATDC 'cos thats where the cam grooves align. In the illustration it looks like a mark should be present on the crank pulley, but the picture is cut off at the bottom. Does anybody know?

·
52,804 Posts
Sounds like it should then be at 40 deg ATDC 'cos thats where the cam grooves align. In the illustration it looks like a mark should be present on the crank pulley, but the picture is cut off at the bottom. Does anybody know?
This may help;

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts