1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 CLK55
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
a friend of mine has a w211 E220CDI,
the other night he as driving as normal came to a stop and put the car in park, he said it rolled a little bit, left the car thinking everything is normal came back started the car fine but the car wont move, he says the gear stick is "very loose" he says he can move up and down through the gears and the clocks even indiacte that hes changing gears but the car is not actually changing gear...

i have never heard of this how can the gear stick just become completly loose you can move it from P-D with one finger using next to no force to move it.....

anyway i hope somebody hear can shed some light

thanks in advance

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sedan
376 Posts
Hi everyone,
a friend of mine has a w211 E220CDI,
the other night he as driving as normal came to a stop and put the car in park, he said it rolled a little bit, left the car thinking everything is normal came back started the car fine but the car wont move, he says the gear stick is "very loose" he says he can move up and down through the gears and the clocks even indiacte that hes changing gears but the car is not actually changing gear...

i have never heard of this how can the gear stick just become completly loose you can move it from P-D with one finger using next to no force to move it.....

anyway i hope somebody hear can shed some light

:thumbsup:
That's really interesting. I had something similar happen. I parked the car at the airport, got back in later, tried to start, and nothing-nothing at all. I could move the shifter, but the car would not start or even engage to start. All electronics seemed fine. Turned out that my transmission gear selector in the valve body had broken. Apparently the dealer had damaged/cracked it when he changed out my valve body a couple of months earlier, and it decided to break at just the wrong time.

At least your friend can start the car. I could not even start, which I decided was because the car thought it was in Drive (that was likely where the gear selector broke) and a safety switch kicked in.

·
Premium Member
2001 CLK55
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really interesting. I had something similar happen. I parked the car at the airport, got back in later, tried to start, and nothing-nothing at all. I could move the shifter, but the car would not start or even engage to start. All electronics seemed fine. Turned out that my transmission gear selector in the valve body had broken. Apparently the dealer had damaged/cracked it when he changed out my valve body a couple of months earlier, and it decided to break at just the wrong time.

At least your friend can start the car. I could not even start, which I decided was because the car thought it was in Drive (that was likely where the gear selector broke) and a safety switch kicked in.
ok sounds like the same thing what do you have to do get it towed? was it expensive

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sedan
376 Posts
I did have to get it towed. Can't speak to the price. Dealer said it was it's fault from the earlier repair and footed the bill entirely, including the tow.

One difference from the description-my shift lever felt normal when I moved it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts