Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

This is my first post. My name is Glen and I live in Surrey on the UK.

My query is actually about my ex wife's 1999 E200 W210 auto estate that she has owned and loved for several months.

I drove it today after fitting a new battery and it kept losing power to the extent it would not rev past 700rpm. If I turned the ignition off and back on it would be OK for about 100 yards, then lose power again. Apparently it's been doing this on and off since the cold spell hit. She says it will start to drive normally again if she "fiddles with the gears" I didn't try that though, so can't confirm it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Glen.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Wada cozy arrangement-------Oh well it is the holiday season. In any event is the EPC light on in the dash area??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wada cozy arrangement-------Oh well it is the holiday season. In any event is the EPC light on in the dash area??
Hi

Not sure what an EPC light is, but the yellow triangular anti skid light is no on. Nor are any others apart from a bulb warning for the reg plate light.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Without any indication of fault lights being on and being 8 hrs away by air I just do not have any quick answers like check the fuel filter, wipe off the hub caps and alike

I would see your mechanic. Enjoy the holiday

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Sound to me like it may be in limp mode (gearbox), especially since 'fiddling' with the gears seems to solve the problem. Find out if any fluids were dropped in the shifter area.
On the other hand, I think that it is a kompressor engine on the E200, which opens a whole new can of worms.

Best would be to have it scanned by somebody with a STAR scanner. That should be able to pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Thanks for your help.

The engine is not a kompressor version, it's normally asperated. I have an ODB2 reader, do these cars support ODB2?

Glen.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
If the EPC light is on, then it may be something as simple as the brakelight switch. I'm just guessing here, but I think the car thinks that it is in a skid or that the wheels are spinning. As such, it automatically cuts the power to the engine and may even apply the brakes.

Unfortunately an ODBC reader cannot read the codes for the ESP/anti-skid system. Only the STAR system or Carsoft can do that. As a cheap diagnostic, you can try to replace the brakelight switch (use only a genuine MB switch). If that does not help, you'll have to get the codes read. The good news is that the code will normally exactly identify the bad sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts