Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has any problems running their 126 gas car on E10 fuel (90% gasoline, 10% ethanol)? Florida has switched to E10 this summer and it really pisses me off that all grades including premium fuel are mixed with ethanol now. I am still able to find ethanol free gas here in town at one gas station, but such stations are practically nonexistent anymore. Anyway, I have not tried E10 in my '84 500SEL yet, but I am curious if somebody else has run their 126 on E10 without problems. Also, can '84 500SEL be run on regular gas without knocking? This is a fairly low compression engine and I read somewhere that it would do OK on regular. I run premium in it now just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
In 1984 premium was not required by MB for that model. 87 is fine.

Everything up here in Maryland says "up to 10% ethanol" on the pumps, and none of my cars balk at it.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
There isn't much you can do about it. I hate it and I know the car hates it (decreased fuel mileage). It is a rip off and is slowly corroding the fuel system of every car using the stuff. However, both my W126 and W140 manual state that both cars can run on this junk. Run fuel injector cleaner on a regular basis and call your senator/representative and tell them to change this bogus law. I'm paying for 100% gasoline and I want to receive it!

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn't much you can do about it. I hate it and I know the car hates it (decreased fuel mileage). It is a rip off and is slowly corroding the fuel system of every car using the stuff. However, both my W126 and W140 manual state that both cars can run on this junk. Run fuel injector cleaner on a regular basis and call your senator/representative and tell them to change this bogus law. I'm paying for 100% gasoline and I want to receive it!
My motorcycles and lawnmowers and weedeater hate this stuff. Fortunately one gas station here in town still sells 100% Amoco gas so I can use it, but who knows for how long. I have had trouble with idle on my carbureted vehicles. Also, the motorcycles ran a bit hotter. I believe it is because the 10% ethanol mix makes the mixture leaner as it is less energetic. I agree that this is not only a stupid idea, but a rip off. They never lowered the price of gas by the corresponding amount since ethanol is cheaper.

If they wanted to use ethanol, why not simply mandate that all new vehicles must be flex fuel type and then sell the E85 for those who prefer it, but leave the gas alone for the rest of us?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts