Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes C200K Sports AMG
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi E-class fans and owners.

I've been posting a bit on the C class forum as I was after a kompressor. But on Friday I spoke to an acquaintance who is really into Mercs. He just picked up a very nice S500 Benz. I think its an 07 (its the current shape).

He confirmed what most are saying about the engines, he says its best to go for a 6 cylinder then the kompressor. Nothing wrong with the kompressor he says; its just the 6 doesnt require as much attention and will do higher miles without as much maintenance.

So maybe I should expand my search to include E class. Not many 6 cylinder C classes around where I am but plenty of E's. Thing is, the E's are quite a bit more then the C.

Just wondering if an E around about the 2004-2005 era are as reliable as the C's from 05-07.

I hear the mercs in the early 2000 era were not as good as they were meant

·
Registered
04 E320 Sport
32 Posts
An 04' or 05' E class should have all the bugs worked out of it by now. I agree that a 6 cylinder is the way to go. One thing to consider is how comfortable you would be in a C class compared to an E class. If you are fairly big, or drive people around you might find the C class a tight fit. Im 6'1" and couldnt get very comfortable in a C class. The comfort and ride in an E class is first rate.......smooth, stable, comfortable and quiet. The only beef I have about mine is the poor quality of the center console.

Nobrakes

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,982 Posts
I would go with the E class. I was comparing the C and E both in the wagon style and
after a couple of test drives in both from different sellers I landed on the E class for a
plethora of reasons.
Then it took me 6 months to find the color and options I wanted which I did find almost
1000 miles away in South Carolina.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An 04' or 05' E class should have all the bugs worked out of it by now.
Good to hear something positive. Others have suggested 07-10 are the one that had bugs fixed. Basically I dont want to end up going to and from the mechanic or electrician all the time getting things sorted. I am aware that cars do require maintenance and troubleshooting from time to time yet some cars, like the early model W203 C-Class, are known for issues.

·
Registered
2006 E350 4 door W211, 2004 Acura RSX
108 Posts
Im 6'4 and to me the E class was the way to go. If your shorter than me you will appreciate the extra leg room and arm room. Plus you have more trunk space and a bigger car in general. I have an E350 and would only trade it for a AMG - but insurance kinda put a damper on that.

·
Registered
04 E320 Sport
32 Posts
The early 2000s E class did have some problems........like the brake system, the adjustable suspension (on Sport models) and bubbles and ripples on the interior center console and trim, but if you find a car with good records and known history these kinks should be taken care of...... BTW MB extended the regular warranty on the SBS brakes system to 10 years.

Steve "nobrakes"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im 6'4 and to me the E class was the way to go. If your shorter than me you will appreciate the extra leg room and arm room. Plus you have more trunk space and a bigger car in general. I have an E350 and would only trade it for a AMG - but insurance kinda put a damper on that.
I'm tall but not a big guy. I don't need wide seats but some legroom is appreciated. I hardly use back seats. At the moment I got a large luxury sedan, one our Senetors and gov ministers get chauffeured around in. In mine, the back seats are waisted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go for the E Class. There are some great deals on 07-09. I just negotiated a good deal on an CPO '09 E350 Sport Sedan (P1 Package) for under $40K. The color is Designo Graphite with Black MB-Tex. Nice looking car and stands out from the normal black, silver and white.

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
put the model away, you are deciding whether you need a compact sedan or a mid-size sedan. Some people like small cars for its agility. Some people like bigger cars for its comfort. You definitely shouldn't just look at the model itself. What makes you happy driving the car is more important.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go for the E Class. There are some great deals on 07-09. I just negotiated a good deal on an CPO '09 E350 Sport Sedan (P1 Package) for under $40K. The color is Designo Graphite with Black MB-Tex. Nice looking car and stands out from the normal black, silver and white.
Over here in Australia a car like that would be more like $60-$70k. So I'm looking at years around 2004-2005 max with the budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts