Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 240D sedan and my mother and father have really taken a liking to it. theyre Ford people, and cannot believe how sturdy this old car is, it just astounds them that my 20 year older car rattles less and rides better than her much newer Taurus!

Shes due for a different car and with gas prices what they are, ive convinced her she needs a diesel. her only options are a Mercedes E-Class or a VW Passat(that we've heard some bad things about)

questions are pretty routine for someone researching a foreign(bah-dum-bump) car...

she would be looking for the older E Diesel, not the new mortgage priced one. what are the average second-hand values on these cars? she saw a gas wagon she liked for 18, and dad didnt think that was too much, so hopefully the D is around that.

are there any trouble areas for these models? i know the W123 diesel is pretty much bullet-proof, but when youre talking about emissions standards and everything, they complicate diesels, it seems.

any other issues that might affect all models of E automobiles could be mentioned, ive only had air-cooled vws prior, and as i said, my dad is a ford person... so what are the problem areas, eh?

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
I haven't had an older diesel in years, but they are truly bullet proof.

Try and find one with less than 150,000 miles if you can, and the 83 and 84 turbo diesels are the cars to have.

I had two of them ( an 83 and an 84 ) and neither of them ever needed anything. I put 150,000 on the 83 and in that time the only work was (routine) oil changes, a new battery and two sets of brakes and tires.

Much, much less trouble than the newer Benzes.

It shouldn't be more than $2000 to $3000.

If you get tempted by the W124 instead of the W123 -- get it checked out carefully and they can still be pretty good -- and spend less than $7,000

Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no, not a w123, that is my car, my father wants the e class with a diesel.

i think they quit making them around 2000? a 20 year old car is too old for my father, he likes a worry free(but rarely trouble free) car.

the new models are CDI? it seems like the model in question is an E300TD? about a 1996-2000 model

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Stopped making them in '99. The '98 and '99's were turbodiesels. The '96 - '97's were non-turbos. That's the 210 chassis. 124 diesels went up to '95. Do a search here and on other lists for the cars and the problems/recommendations. There are lots of opinions out there. The '98 and '99 turbodiesels especially are commanding a bit of a premium over the nonturbos and the gasoline versions at the moment. A low mileage one can reach the upper 20's. High mileage ones around 20 or a little less.

Len
'99 E300TD 74,000 miles

·
Registered
180 Posts
First, a 98 turbodiesel is not an e300td as far as I know. A TD is a wagon. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Second, if they don't want a car with a mortgage price they should steer clear of the 98 or 99 E300's. They are GREAT when everything works but with the low build quality, they can expect to spend a significant amount on continuing repairs. Air conditioning, transmission, sunroof, etc. Then there's the amazing but true RUST problems. If they've benn driving American cars since the 60's, they mwy not know what rust is. Mercedes has rediscovered it and offered it free in locations like shock towers, doors and trunks. No additional charge. They'll also really enjoy a $5,000 repair bill to replace the glow plugs when their dealer tells them the head might have to come off to get them out.

I'm just addicted to diesels. I don't know why. I won't be buying another Mercedes unless it has a significant warranty in place. If they want to spend 18K on a 98, they can have mine. I'll throw in one session with a counselor at no additional charge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 96' E300 D and a 99' Jetta TD both with over 150K miles and they are great. Paid 13K for the E300 and the only problem I have that I am going to have to go to the dealer on is my running lights go out for a while and then come back on. It gets 32 miles to the gallon. I also have a Ford F250 crew 4X4 diesel.

They are very reliable.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
You didn't say where you are. Those States following the California emissions standards don't have any diesels after 1986 (I think..) They don't pass.

If they are brought in to the State by a current owner they can be grandfathered.

Don't expect to find many.

Other States -- well the posts above apply.

IMHO, the critical mass created in the 80's by thousands of Mercedes diesels no longer exists. The service becomes a bit harder to find, the skills rustier.

It's a shame because the drive train used to be pretty bulletproof. Now you really ned to do your homework - and pay an unfair premium.

On top of that the 3.2 litre gas powered engine gets much better mileage. My 2000 W210 has touched 31 mpg and gets 22 to 25 mpg easily if you surgically remove the fun from your driving ( 20 to 22 with fun in place) in mixed freeway and secondary roads. All freeway is easily 24 to 27 mpg.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,054 Posts
mjhawkins2346 - 2/27/2005 7:16 PM

<snip>
Those States following the California emissions standards don't have any diesels after 1986 (I think..) They don't pass.

If they are brought in to the State by a current owner they can be grandfathered.

Don't expect to find many.

<snip>
I can't speak for the other states, but new E300DT's were sold in California straight through the end of the product run in 2000(?). I bought my 1998 new. It is true that the 2005 E320CDI models are not available new, but it seems that some enterprizing folks are being them in "used".

·
Registered
2005 E-320 CDI Sedan, a W-211
83 Posts
AlanMcR - 3/2/2005 3:12 PM
I can't speak for the other states, but new E300DT's were sold in California straight through the end of the product run in 2000(?). I bought my 1998 new. It is true that the 2005 E320 CDI models are not available [here] new, but it seems that some enterprizing folks are bringing them in "used."
[:)]

True indeed, in fact if they have 7,500 miles, the state considers them "used."
There are other ways and means to bring in a brand new one and legally register it here.

There were exactly 3113 '98 E-300 DTs and 3469 '99 E-300 DTs imported to N A according to the MBZ site.
There were none after that. No 2000s. Something about the hood being lower and insuffient clearences?

How many miles on your '98? My '99 has 117K miles. I love it.

[:)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the exact opposite experience. 99 E300 with no maintenance or service problems. 75K miles to date, with routine dealer service as per manual, usually somewhat ahead of the miles left on the service indicator. The vehicle replaced my 85 300 SDL 250K miles that was totaled by a drunk driver dsirect impact while I was stopped at a light. I walked away with minor injury. Made me a believer in the safety systems.
Drives llike a dream. Am a bit wary of the CDI until more experience, but hope to keep this one going quite a bit longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts