Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD: 99 SLK230 K 96 C220 K 06 E200 K
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My dad is seriously trying to get a LED tail light for his E-class (just for the look). Where can I get one? How much I should expect for? Is it slip in replacement?
OR can I just simply use those LED bulb replacement like this?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/led/led.htm
That is for a bike but there's one similar spec to original bulb of the e-class too.
Any recommendation would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
zergcerebrates - 4/9/2005 10:40 PM

Don't E class come with LED lights already?
I believe that only the pre 2005 Sport Package had those and even then, only the stop lights were LED. The rest were HIP light bulbs which seem to require the entire fixture to be replaced when they burn out. The LED version does not seem to be an option in the USA anymore.

·
Registered
E 320 CDI
41 Posts
you could get those by ordering the entire tail light blocks for european E class 'Avantgarde' models.In Europe Avantgarde models come as standard with led rear brake lights...but I think it will cost you pretty much.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The LED brake light fixtures are still available with the Appearance Package in North America. As such you can still get them as replacement parts, but I would imagine they are really expensive. Does anybody here know a frendly parts guy who can look up the part numbers and get a price?

Because those LED's draw much less current than the normal HIP lamp, I would guess that the new fixture must be coded in so the low current draw isn't seen as an open filiment and set up a DTC much the same as trying to put HID ballasts in a halogen fixture and have the system think its a defective headlight bulb.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
Another forum member KrispyKreme has replaced his lamps with LED and he said it didn't need version coding. It was plug and play, although a PITA to install the passenger side.

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
But if the tailights were converted to LED would it be clear enough to tell that those are LEDs? Will the LED lights be in rows like those of Infiniti G35?

·
Registered
714 Posts
The brake part of the fixture is stuffed full of LED's and although there is an orderly pattern to the layout they are so close together there are no discernable "rows" to them when viewed from a distance.

The use of LED's here is more for the enhanced safety due to the brightness and fast turn on than as a styling feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In Hong Kong, W211 must come with LED back light. I may find it in HK. But could you take some pictures about the light cover, and i can see the difference between your light and my LED light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
tempoct - 3/22/2005 8:00 AM

Hi,
My dad is seriously trying to get a LED tail light for his E-class (just for the look). Where can I get one? How much I should expect for? Is it slip in replacement?
OR can I just simply use those LED bulb replacement like this?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/led/led.htm
That is for a bike but there's one similar spec to original bulb of the e-class too.
Any recommendation would be appreciated!
In Hong Kong, W211 must come with LED back light. I may find it in HK. But could you take some pictures about the light cover, and i can see the difference between your light and my LED light?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts