Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the responses! To be more specific, we've had the new car for 6 weeks. First, we heard a tapping in the steering wheel. Took it in for service and was told that somehow it was related to the sunroof? However, the next day started hearing tapping in the valves under the hood. Loud tapping! The car has been in the shop 3 times now. Each time we are told it's fixed, we get it home and it starts the tapping again. We were told techs were flown out from some corporate headquarters to take a look at the car and that is what made us start to think possible it was a 2005 manufacturer error. As of right now, I'm still riding around in a loaner car. I'm a first time mercedes owner and am truly disappointed. I loved my mercedes and I MISS it[:(]

·
Registered
E320 (w211)
96 Posts
How fast are the tapping sounds? Are they really that loud or is it barely noticeable until you pay close attention on it? My car 2003 E320 has a knocking/tapping sound coming from the backside in the middle of the passenger seats near that area. Anyways I've sat in multiple benz and they all have that kinda noise but its barely noticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tapping noises are loud enough that our neighbor in his yard heard the noise when we pulled up. They claim that not enough oil was getting where it needed to be. Mercedes called last night, said they fixed it, however the shop manager was going to drive it home this weekend (as long as we did not mind) to make sure that it is running correct. We had the car back and forth 3 times for the same problem. What concerned me was the fact that techs were flown in from a corporate office to take a look at the car. Don't tell me it's nothing if your flying in techs. I'm not a stupid person[;)]

·
Registered
238 Posts
That tapping noise is because of a passageway that has an inherent flaw in it from the factory. The block is cast and the passages machined. One of the rear right side passages are prone to fail and leak the oil into the crankcase missing the 2-3 lifters. The only way to fix it is to replace the block...not good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts