Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. Long time reader - first time poster.

Just upgraded from my 2006 SLK to a 2010 E Class E350 CDI Coupe Convertible Sport, which I picked up yesterday.

Love it. Apart from when the roof closes. Everything works great apart from the final move where the rear screen lowers to the boot-lid panel, it locks into this panel and the panel pulls taught locking at it's front edge first then rear edge to finish the close.

It's at this final moment that the rear screen locks in with a loud 'clunk/thwack/slap' sound as if it's not going to go into place... Then as it's pulled taught it suddenly jerks into the finished position. 'Clunk!' It's this final 1 inch away from closing that just seems a little... inelagant.

I was too overcome with delight at the rest of the car to bring this up with the dealer at the time but wondered if this was normal and what you experts reckonned. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 E550A Cabrio; 2008 BMW 328i (South Africa)
39 Posts
I had something similar with my 2005 CLK500A and ended up replacing the plastic (I think) hooks/clamps. Have your dealer take a look to verify that something may be broken.

·
Registered
2011 E550 Cabriolet, Launch Edition
48 Posts
It's hard from the description to say if it's normal. The last movement on mine is a loud clunk when the roof touches the chrome seat on the deck lid, and the deck lid moves into locking position. Can you take a video and post?

·
Registered
Ml320 CDI
2 Posts
Mine also made quite a substantial clunk when closing until last weekend when the clunk changed to a crunch and it broke part of the boot lid hinge. Booked into the dealer for a replacement but it does concern me that all was not well maybe i the first place

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine does that too, had the dealership check it out and they said it was working normal.
When I use my key from outside to open / close it does not sound as loud, the sound is amplified inside being so close in such a small area.

·
Registered
2004 & 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 2014 GLK 350
46 Posts
My wife's 2012 Cab was experiencing the same loud sounds, we reported this to the dealership where we bought the car, they said it was normal.. Long story short, while I was detailing the car I found that the passenger right rear flap hinge stabilizer was broken in the center of the hinge.
Description: Mercedes Benz E Class Convertible Folding Soft Top Left Right Hinge

The smaller image is broken, the larger image has the missing piece..

After replacing both hinges, our issue went away..

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
For future reference, that plastic arm in the middle of each hinge is used only to keep the soft top cover locked in position when servicing the hydraulics. If it breaks, you can just go ahead and fully break it off and remove it from the hinge. You'd then just need to use a suitable support for the cover if working on the hydraulics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts