Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I want to bring an E 500 or 500 E (W124) over from Japan, I read that a version was made specifically for Japan but I wonder if you can tell from the chassis number which market a particular vehicle was made for. The reason I am asking is that a vehicle made specifically for the Japanese market may not be accepted according to Swedish regulations, while one made for the European market will be accepted. thanks

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
I think the easiest to distinguish a Japanese model from other markets is to look for the indicator light furthest to the right.

US markets and others will say Check Engine, while the Japanese version says EXH TEMP (exhaust temp).

IIRC, that is the easiest way other than a VIN check. Probably best for you to get the vehicle's datacard (a.k.a. the vehicle birth certificate) from the EPC website. The datacard will list the original Euro chassis# as well as any other market# (such as US VIN# etc).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the easiest to distinguish a Japanese model from other markets is to look for the indicator light furthest to the right.

US markets and others will say Check Engine, while the Japanese version says EXH TEMP (exhaust temp).

IIRC, that is the easiest way other than a VIN check. Probably best for you to get the vehicle's datacard (a.k.a. the vehicle birth certificate) from the EPC website. The datacard will list the original Euro chassis# as well as any other market# (such as US VIN# etc).
I have never heard of IIRC or the EPC website, can you provide me with a link and perhaps some basic info ? thank you very much for your helpful reply :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Give me your VIN (by private message if you prefer) and I'll look up your car in the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC).

(IIRC - If I Recall Correctly)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give me your VIN (by private message if you prefer) and I'll look up your car in the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC).

(IIRC - If I Recall Correctly)
That is very kind of you, thanks, I am looking at cars on auction, so I do not have a VIN for a specific vehicle at the time, when a car that I am interested in buying shows up I have a few hours to decide if I want to place a bid or not, Mercedes in Sweden has confirmed that that they can certify a car made for the European market because I asked them to check a VIN and that particular car was made for europe, perhaps when one that I suspect was made for the Japanese domestic market shows up I can send you the VIN ? And if it was made for Japan, I can then check the VIN against Mercedes here as well and after that I will know for sure if I dare buy one. :) Mercedes will only run a check on a specific VIN, they will not tell me in general terms if a car made for the Japanese market will be approved here or not. But If I know that a certain vehicle will be accepted I can safely assume that a very similar or identical one will be approved as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can send it, but I can't guarantee I'll be able to give you the info quickly. But perhaps someone else with EPC access can.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice, thank you! It recognizes that my previous car (SL 500) was a Japan version, is also says my brothers W210 was made for the Swedish market. Weirdly however it claims that a W124 that Mercedes says was a car for the European market was also made for Japan.

Perhaps more forum members could run a check on their cars and report the results,

·
Registered
624 Posts
Every car I've put in there says Japanese market. I know for a fact that neither of my current cars are Japanese market. So I don't know how accurate that portion of the VIN decoder is.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It gave me good info for the E420 but this one may be better--it will give you a datacard once you input the VIN

Russian Parts VIN decoder
Thanks, yes I looked at the russian parts website, the problem is that it will display Europe, USA and Japan, for every car. On the datacard it usually says some code and " version for Japan" but I'm not sure about the older cars, 500 E for instance.

Anyone who has a W124 from Japan that can run a check to see what it says?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you know the options code, search for 498, if not , you could pm me the vin and i'll look it for you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you know the options code, search for 498, if not , you could pm me the vin and i'll look it for you.
thank you, that is very nice of you. How long would it take for you to run a check? Is it a lot of hassle for you? I'm asking because I may suddenly have a car I'm interested in up for auction. thank you very much

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi
my UK market 230TE comes up as a Japanese spec car on EPC but it's been registered here from new.....

Also, I believe Japan drives on the left?

cheers
Yes they do! but 90% of European cars in Japan are LHD, supposedly this is a sign of status and/or luxury in Japan.

·
Registered
246 Posts
hmm, weird, you can barely give away 'left hookers' over here.....

Is there a blanket ban on Japanese spec cars or is it just some of fittings and fixtures, like over here you must have a speedo marked in MPH, even if its just stickers over the KMH and stuff like lights bulbs etc?

cheers

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm, weird, you can barely give away 'left hookers' over here.....

Is there a blanket ban on Japanese spec cars or is it just some of fittings and fixtures, like over here you must have a speedo marked in MPH, even if its just stickers over the KMH and stuff like lights bulbs etc?

cheers
It is a matter of typical Swedish idiocy, the same vehicle that can be registered easily in the UK will be disapproved in Sweden,,,,,, UNLESS!!! it has been registered in the UK or another EU country first (even for only one day) then it will be accepted no questions asked, There is another way and that is to pay several hundred pounds to get the car manufacturer to certify that the vehicle is approved for this and that, according to bla bla bla, and on and on it goes. And that is the route I am aiming for, I have done so successfully before but the vehicle was later model and I am not sure Mercedes will certify a Japanese spec W124, in order to find out I need the VIN of a Japanese spec W124 preferably a 500E.

The whole thing is a natural result of allowing people with absolutely no knowledge or commonsense what so ever to dictate the rules for everyone else to follow. I realize this is a commons problem world wide but it is very pronounced here.

·
Registered
188 Posts
thank you, that is very nice of you. How long would it take for you to run a check? Is it a lot of hassle for you? I'm asking because I may suddenly have a car I'm interested in up for auction. thank you very much
It won't take long , only a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts