Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...new to the forums.

We're thinking of purchasing a used 2008 E-350. We like the looks/feel of the car, and Consumer Reports give the 08 a 'good bet' for a used car, with pretty good reliability.

Given that, its still a German car with its 'quirks' and probably high repair cost.
What should I be looking out for in a used E-350? What are the common issues they have? Is Consumer Reports correct with a good reliability history? I've owned VW's and an Audi, and had so so luck with them, frustrating at times.

One of my buddies say I should choose something else (Lexus)..but we like the E-350.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
They're great cars, and if the mileage is less than 50K there's still factory warranty remaining.

It's fantasy to believe there's a "no maintenance" car made by anybody.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, we're focusing in on cars that have less than 30,000 miles, so we'd have at least 2 years or so of coverage, which is nice (and probably needed).

But what are some of the more common issues?

And I agree, no car is maintenence free.

·
Registered
W203, W211, W212
156 Posts
Definitely look at getting a Certified Pre-owned, so you get that extra warranty. Most dealers also offer extended warranties - some through third-party and some through MB USA.

I have a CPO '07 from earlier this year. There's nothing really major that has occurred, but the little things add up in parts and labor.

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
463 Posts
Hi...new to the forums.

We're thinking of purchasing a used 2008 E-350. We like the looks/feel of the car, and Consumer Reports give the 08 a 'good bet' for a used car, with pretty good reliability.

Given that, its still a German car with its 'quirks' and probably high repair cost.
What should I be looking out for in a used E-350? What are the common issues they have? Is Consumer Reports correct with a good reliability history? I've owned VW's and an Audi, and had so so luck with them, frustrating at times.

One of my buddies say I should choose something else (Lexus)..but we like the E-350.

Thoughts?
I had 2 W211 2004 E320 (lease) & currently 08E350, earlier car does have some problems, but my current E350 there is NONE. Just filled up the tank & go. Service A & B perform once a year (we do not drive more than 10K/year), after a little over 2 years on the E350, nothing had been replaced including tires & brakes. I am done with VW & Audi years ago, never look back or have any desire to go back to VW & Audi, they are the money pit... no matter what people say, I visited the VW & Audi dealer or mechanic everage once/month, I was tired of the visits, dump the car when warranty end with a big lost. If you already owned VW & Audi, you will pleasantlly surprise how different between MB compare with VW & Audi. the E350 is a solid build car. You only pick out the option of the car P1 or P2 (used car market usually do not give you a lot of choice, but if you want P2 option on the E350, you have to wait until you see one), most E350 had P1 option. Good luck .

·
Registered
S400 HYBRID 2010
10 Posts
I traded my 06 ML500 to 07 E350 4MATIC and I have been very happy with it. I purchased extended warranty from the dealer, paid $1925 for 24 month extension, so that warranty runs to 2014. I have had the car for 3 months now and no issues.

·
Registered
2007 E350 4M
28 Posts
There may be something I'm missing but, having just bought a CPO 2007 E3504M with 30k miles (MARVELLOUS car), you should also keep your eye on the 4 year time limit as well. Also, as others have mentioned, CPO is the only way to go.......good luck

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
There really aren't any "issues" on these cars.

In the timeframe specified, the initial M272 engine problems had been corrected in production.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Highly recommended.... BUT
you have to have the stomach for paying 2 to 4 times an average car in maintenance and repairs for the life of the car. And YES Mercedes cars are mechanical devices and they will break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. Notables:

-VW/Audi--Very done with them! They were just problem prone, and repair costs still high. And that's my thought here: I can accept high repair/maintenance costs, IF the car has a good reliability history (which Consumer Reports mentions). Sure, all cars are crap shoots, but odds are in my favor if I choose one with good reliability.

-I'll have to search the site for Extended Warranties. The CPO vehicles that we're finding are running about $5,000 higher than non-CPO vehicles.

-Since I'm in Michigan, the 4MATIC is very appealing.

-Not hearing great things about their Nav system, but it could have been the older models. In the 08, how does their Nav system compare to the portables/Google Nav?

-What's the P2 package? Most, if not all, the used ones have the P1. But I see some with wood steering wheels and most without.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I bought one this summer and paid full KBB book because it was CPO. One trip to the stealer after the warranty expires can eat up the difference you may save. I now have 3 years/100k with no worries, I told my wife it it even farts to take it to the dealer!

Dan

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
-Not hearing great things about their Nav system, but it could have been the older models. In the 08, how does their Nav system compare to the portables/Google Nav?

2009 MY has the all new hard drive Comand (same as on W212 and others) with real-time traffic updates and Enhanced Voice Control.

-What's the P2 package? Most, if not all, the used ones have the P1. But I see some with wood steering wheels and most without.

P2 adds to P1 mainly Bi-Xenon with Active Curve Illumination and Keyless-go.

The wood steering wheel is an individual option.
Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
^^^^

Just to add: P2 also gives you electronic trunk close. Believe it or not, it's a very convenient thing to have.

fwiw, the 2009's nav upgrade and the HDD based COMAND system with (actual) functioning full VC is worth the extra $$ for a 2009, esp if those sorts of conveniences are important to you.

The 2009 W211 was the last of its kind and the earlier issues with the W211 are pretty much all flushed out. Although many of the components are still identical to the very first W211.

Unfortunately the W211 wasn't exactly a high point in MB's history. The earlier the model, the more of a gamble it can be in respect to issues. By 2006 things were getting back on track.

All cars are a crapshoot. Even a Lexus. I personally feel it comes down to just getting a good sample, no matter what the general pattern might be with a particular model's reliability history.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One question I forgot to ask: how's the ESP/VSR/traction control on the RWD model? As I dive into searches, i may have to go with a RWD instead of 4MATIC due to price. Although I live near Detroit, the roads really don't get that bad, and if they do, its only for half the day, maybe the day.

·
Registered
2008 E 350 Sport
12 Posts
The '08s have the CD based Nav system. My particular car did not come with Nav, so I didn't have to pay for an obsolete system. Much better off with a Garmin or Magellan system for a lot less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts