Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 1998 E320 with 42,000 miles. Have noticed a tick in the engine when it is started. Oil is fine. Is this unusual and any idea what the problem could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF the lifter is out of adjustment, would it clear up as the engine warms up? After the car runs for a short period there is no ticking. thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a '99 ML320 and has the same problem. I also think it is a lifter, but may be something else also. I have heard it on other 320's at the dealer while waiting for service. <br> <br> Is there a cure for it? Mine has it since I bought it with 30K, and now is 52K. The 'ticking' lasts for a few seconds only on cold start. After that or when started again there is no 'ticking'.<br> <br> In my opinion it is a known problem. My dealer says it is nothing to worry about.<br> <br> Please let me know if you find something else.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just left the dealer and he said the same thing, that it was natural. He said that the engine was like an athlete and just needed to warm up. He is an experienced Mercedes guy so we shall see. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My diesel will click on occaision, I have witnessed it stop, and sometimes it won't stop until I start it up again. At first I worried about it, but I thing it's just that the oil hasn't gotten all the way through the engine, I don't worry about it too much. It's not regular enough for me to really diagnose it. If it goes away, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the tick lasts just a few seconds at start-up, there's nothing to worry about - it's the lifters. If it lasts longer, then you may have a more serious problem with the lifters. You can change to a different weight oil (talk with your mechanic as to lighter/heavier weight) to see if the problem goes away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts