Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never dyno a car befor and it was kick in the ass. Learn alot about my car today that it can go 160+mph and not blow up. The dyno guy said I need to increase my fuel intake and I would get 25-35 more hp. And he said to not worry to much about hp and work on increasing the torque of the car scense that is the strong point of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
neither the torque (less than 230) or the HP (less than 190)get over 230 at the engine and you can go 160 MPH? how's that possible?

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Those numbers are right on line with 238hp and 21% driveline loss with hp measured at the wheels, not the crank. Its amazing how powerful the 560's feel with only 190hp at the wheels... A euro ECE 560 motor should be around 235 at the wheels with 300 at the crank. I could tell quite a difference with my old euro motor vs. a U.S. 560.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MTUpower - 3/19/2005 8:44 AM

neither the torque (less than 230) or the HP (less than 190)get over 230 at the engine and you can go 160 MPH? how's that possible?
Looks like our cars can go 160mph on a dyno but on the road would be a differn story. Next time I dyno my car I am going take some pictures of the car going 160.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Here is my last dyno. Since this dyno, I've added a cog drive and an intercooler. I'm pushing another 4 psi of boost due to the increase in blower speed and probably another 50 RWHP with the changes. I plan on dynoing the car again very soon. But this is what supercharging can do for a 1986 560 SEC.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yes,

Take off your air cleaner. On the dirvers side, LHD, there is a little black box with two screws holding it to the CIS unit. Unplug the wires and remove the screws. Be careful not to lose the two seals on the back side of the unit and place a rag under and over the unit because high pressure fuel will come out when you undo the screws.

Once the screws are out and the unit is in your hand. There is a brass screw on the backside of the unit. Unscrew that brass screw. Under the screw is your EHA adjustment screw. It takes a small allen wrench. To richen, turn clockwise and vice versa to lean. Make sure you only do around an 1/8 turn at a time because it is touchy. It is good to tune it on the dyno and repeat the steps as long as your hp is improving. I'd keep the air cleaner off while you are on the dyno to make it easier to tune.

If you go too far with your adjustment, you may have to adjust the idle air screw so your car will idle and start correctly. However, that is ulikely that you will need to adjust your idle screw because I can't imagine that you will need to go more than a half turn rich to see optimum hp.

My EHA is around 8 to 9 turns rich if that puts things in perspective but I'm almost producing double your hp at the wheels. I hope to be more than double your RWHP at my next dyno session.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We should put in a group order w/supercharged sec for some of those custom made headers. I'm sure they would significantly improve the dyno results when coupled with a complimentary exhaust.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It's my own set-up. Everything was all custom made including the headers. It utilizes an ATI Procharger P1SC and it's being spun to 62,000 rpm with the recent addition of the cog drive and intercooler. For more information on the supercharger: http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
MRTIKKET - 3/19/2005 7:13 PM

We should put in a group order w/supercharged sec for some of those custom made headers. I'm sure they would significantly improve the dyno results when coupled with a complimentary exhaust.

Anybody up for a set of these?

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Why did you choose to go the supercharging route vs Turbo?
Isn't turbo more efficient (less fuel consumption at lower RPMs) than supercharging? Yes, there is turbo lag, but really, you only want the supercharging when you mash on the gas, eh?
That being said (correct me if I'm wrong), would it be possible to turbocharge the 560 SEC? Is there a commercial kit available?

If not, I would (one day) like to go the supercharging route, sounds like you have a lot of fun with yours!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supercharged SEC - 3/19/2005 6:34 PM

Yes,

Take off your air cleaner. On the dirvers side, LHD, there is a little black box with two screws holding it to the CIS unit. Unplug the wires and remove the screws. Be careful not to lose the two seals on the back side of the unit and place a rag under and over the unit because high pressure fuel will come out when you undo the screws.

Once the screws are out and the unit is in your hand. There is a brass screw on the backside of the unit. Unscrew that brass screw. Under the screw is your EHA adjustment screw. It takes a small allen wrench. To richen, turn clockwise and vice versa to lean. Make sure you only do around an 1/8 turn at a time because it is touchy. It is good to tune it on the dyno and repeat the steps as long as your hp is improving. I'd keep the air cleaner off while you are on the dyno to make it easier to tune.

If you go too far with your adjustment, you may have to adjust the idle air screw so your car will idle and start correctly. However, that is ulikely that you will need to adjust your idle screw because I can't imagine that you will need to go more than a half turn rich to see optimum hp.

My EHA is around 8 to 9 turns rich if that puts things in perspective but I'm almost producing double your hp at the wheels. I hope to be more than double your RWHP at my next dyno session.
Thanks for the info I am going to hit the dyno again and do this. What you think about upgrading cams?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Why did you choose to go the supercharging route vs Turbo?
A supercharger system can be put together at a fraction of the expense as compared to a turbo system.

Isn't turbo more efficient (less fuel consumption at lower RPMs) than supercharging? Yes, there is turbo lag, but really, you only want the supercharging when you mash on the gas, eh?
Yes a turbo is more more efficient in terms of parasitic loss but a centrifugal is more adiabatic efficient. In other words, the blower produces drag on the engine while the turbocharger produces more heat than a centrifugal supercharger. The good thing about my kit is that it uses a blow off valve or a BOV as they are called. When I'm not on the throttle, the BOV is open and the blower is basically free spinning and the blower is costing less than 1 hp of parasitc drag to turn the blower. However, when I mash the accelerator pedal, the BOV slams shut and I have instant boost.

That being said (correct me if I'm wrong), would it be possible to turbocharge the 560 SEC? Is there a commercial kit available?
No, there are no turbo kits available. The space in the engine bay is very very tight. If one were available, you would be looking at a price well over $10,000 due to the limited demand and high cost per unit produced. Could you do a turbocharger on the 560 SEC? Sure. However, like I said, it would be a very expensive proposition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts