Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had Comand updated some time ago to the latest SW (bird's eye view, ETA on main display etc.). This is a 2006 (build date) car, so it does not have the Parking Guidance feature at the instrument cluster. Instead it has (or used to have) parallel parking and reverse parking options at the rear view camera menu.

I remember posts claiming that the dynamic lines had gone after the update. That should not happen and I know what needs to be done if the dynamic lines do not appear after Comand update. But my issue is different.

Now that I looked at my rear view monitor view, it does not look right. It looks like I had both the old dynamic lines display from the old rear view monitor control unit PLUS the fixed lines that the new cars have. And I don't have the parallel parking option (this is OK for new cars that have the Parking Guidance assist feature at the instrument cluster). But I have the "Back" button which does not appear on the figure from the current user guide. :confused: From the old user guide I can see this "Back" menu option but it should be accompanied with the parking style selection options.

I'm assuming this is still a coding issue, Comand should know that on this car it does not need to draw the lines as the camera module is doing it and this is not coded right. But what about the parallel versus reverse parking menu options? Anyone having the two options still after the Comand update?

Below a quote from the current user guide and a photo from my car.

Blue lines show the vehicle width
Yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m
Red guide line approximately 0.25 m Red guide line
approximately 0.25 m and yellow guide line
approximately 1.0 m show the approximate distance from the rear end of the vehicle. Blue line
depicts the width required for the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
I finally had Comand updated some time ago to the latest SW (bird's eye view, ETA on main display etc.). This is a 2006 (build date) car, so it does not have the Parking Guidance feature at the instrument cluster. Instead it has (or used to have) parallel parking and reverse parking options at the rear view camera menu.

I remember posts claiming that the dynamic lines had gone after the update. That should not happen and I know what needs to be done if the dynamic lines do not appear after Comand update. But my issue is different.

Now that I looked at my rear view monitor view, it does not look right. It looks like I had both the old dynamic lines display from the old rear view monitor control unit PLUS the fixed lines that the new cars have. And I don't have the parallel parking option (this is OK for new cars that have the Parking Guidance assist feature at the instrument cluster). But I have the "Back" button which does not appear on the figure from the current user guide. :confused: From the old user guide I can see this "Back" menu option but it should be accompanied with the parking style selection options.

I'm assuming this is still a coding issue, Comand should know that on this car it does not need to draw the lines as the camera module is doing it and this is not coded right. But what about the parallel versus reverse parking menu options? Anyone having the two options still after the Comand update?

Below a quote from the current user guide and a photo from my car.

Blue lines show the vehicle width
Yellow guide line approximately 1.0 m
Red guide line approximately 0.25 m Red guide line
approximately 0.25 m and yellow guide line
approximately 1.0 m show the approximate distance from the rear end of the vehicle. Blue line
depicts the width required for the vehicle.

It looks like your command thinks that its an 08 ver command now.. The reason you see two sets of lines is that the command is now drawing the lines and the rear camera processor is also drawing the lines. The absence of the parellel/perp parking selector is further evidence. The problem is im not sure how you go about fixing this.. it shouldnt have happened in the first place... I can check on this in the next week as i have an 07 to update and i can see if the same issue occurs.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like your command thinks that its an 08 ver command now.. The reason you see two sets of lines is that the command is now drawing the lines and the rear camera processor is also drawing the lines. The absence of the parellel/perp parking selector is further evidence. The problem is im not sure how you go about fixing this.. it shouldnt have happened in the first place... I can check on this in the next week as i have an 07 to update and i can see if the same issue occurs.
Thanks for your comments. This is exactly what I was assuming. Actually "on the other site" someone had experienced the same problem. I have not had a chance to visit my dealer but I'm sure this is a coding issue. There was a document stating that the menu options may be missing but it also talked about the dynamic lines missing. I don't actually understand how the lines could be missing if the camera view exists. Perhaps this was a mistake in the document and they should have talked about duplicated lines.

Anyway the following coding were adviced to be checked (perhaps you can try these with an 07 car):

Rear View Camera installed: YES
Reversing camera: Camera with parking assist

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
Thanks for your comments. This is exactly what I was assuming. Actually "on the other site" someone had experienced the same problem. I have not had a chance to visit my dealer but I'm sure this is a coding issue. There was a document stating that the menu options may be missing but it also talked about the dynamic lines missing. I don't actually understand how the lines could be missing if the camera view exists. Perhaps this was a mistake in the document and they should have talked about duplicated lines.

Anyway the following coding were adviced to be checked (perhaps you can try these with an 07 car):

Rear View Camera installed: YES
Reversing camera: Camera with parking assist
its the second one for sure...

i was really tired last night so i didnt think it out right away but this morning it hit me... the car is coded for a normal camera and not the park assist camera, what this will do is tell the command to turn on the cam in reverse and draw the lines. when you code for cam/park assist the park assist module watches the gear shift position and sends data to the command to turn the cam view on. thats why the parking options arent available either.

so yes just have thecam type changed and it should fix it.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks again, since the Navi update was work under guarantee, I'll let the shop fix it and advice them to watch after the camera options (I could not find which other options DAS would allow). The settings above were from a document GI82.85-P-042117.

Edited: I've forgotten to add that this got fixed by the shop after appropriate version coding. Menu options and only the dynamic lines now visible as they should on this model.

·
Registered
c class 200komp - ML W164
65 Posts
Hi Rob and Diesel Benz,
Maibe you have a solution on this.

I have retrofitted the backup camera control unit on a ML W164 2006 option code 218.

The following equipment code has been documented for the vehicle in VeDoc: SA code 218 (Backup camera), SCN coding for control unit Instrument cluster has been performed but no extra menu is available in the IC.

An initial startup is performed but the system is not able to save calibrations of the passive graphic lines or steering angle .

I have reason to believe that the HU NTG2 is not communicating with the CU because I can not see no option in adaptation to enable camera control unit , there is only backup camera option.
Is it because this a Japan option only?

Any suggestions or comment will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rob and Diesel Benz,
Maibe you have a solution on this.

I have retrofitted the backup camera control unit on a ML W164 2006 option code 218.

The following equipment code has been documented for the vehicle in VeDoc: SA code 218 (Backup camera), SCN coding for control unit Instrument cluster has been performed but no extra menu is available in the IC.

An initial startup is performed but the system is not able to save calibrations of the passive graphic lines or steering angle .

I have reason to believe that the HU NTG2 is not communicating with the CU because I can not see no option in adaptation to enable camera control unit , there is only backup camera option.
Is it because this a Japan option only?

Any suggestions or comment will be very much appreciated.
I'm no familiar with the W164 (Rob would know for sure) but if it has an NTG2 COMAND, I doubt it would know anything about the rear view camera static lines. On the NTG3 too the camera control unit used to draw the lines (this time dynamic lines) while this was changed (2007 or 2008) later to a simple camera unit where the COMAND draws static lines once rear view camera gets activated.

Japanese telematics units are completely different from the US/ROW units. Perhaps you should install a later COMAND unit if possible for your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts