Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
As some of you know I installed some subwoofers in my trunk, well due to the trunk's contruction I had to add some sound dampening some of you recommended me Dynamat, I purchased some kits--with the help of a friend who works at best buy saved me some 50 dollars on each kit [:)]. Here are some pictures of the project so far:

While i was deconstructing my trunk i found some things that i didnt know what they did here they are:

What are these?? Vents of some sort??

And...what is this rod for? I think its for the sunroof but im not sure...

Questions, Comments, anything post em,

Thanks All for your help throughout the threads, I have really appreciated it thus far.

Kris

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
looks great g luck

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
what tools do u need for dynamat install?

those 2 12s are gonna hit hard, i have one 12 in a box and its hard , no rattles inside car but if u are outside u hear some

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
This feels like "deja vu!!!" You have the same car as me, in the same color, with virtually the SAME subs!!! Mine are Infinity Perfects though, that is the only difference, I believe. I need to finish Dynamating my trunk because I only have one sheet on the trunklid right now. And those vents, which you were asking about are to allow fresh air into the trunk, keep are from becoming stagnant.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if you went wit the dynamat i did, dynamat extreme (i used 3 door kits) its pretty cut and dry...clean up the metal (i used water), cut my piece and then use a wooden roller to roll over the dynamat.

I have 3 12" Infiniti-s, after i put in the dynamat my trunk did not rattle like before. Also you may want to remove your licence plate and dynamat that area behind it...

Here is the final pictures: I had about 2.5 sheets left over from the 3rd box...this all ran me about 90 bc i have friends at best buy [:D].

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Awesome! I've been wanting to dynamat my trunk, but i've been looking for a cheaper/bulk alternative so i can do the doors and roof.

That pipe is so the sunroof drive cable doesn't get blocked or caught on anything.

Why did you use sub boxs? Why not suspend the subs under the parcel shelf? keep a lot more trunk space open.

·
Registered
380sel 1983
31 Posts
Hi Eddie, tarquin here. Unless those subs are free airs you are not going to get anything resembling sound quality. You can get plenty of volume but very little doof. A sound engineer friend of me said a general rule of thumb for subs (not free airs) was that you need at least one cubic inch of airtight space behind it to maximise performance,eg for one 12 inch sub you need 12 cubic inches of sealed space behind it. Thats why I built a speaker box /parcel shelt replacement. It keeps the sound in the car and not in the trunk or outside the car and the quality is excellent. You then don't need multiple high watt subs or a stack of dynamat. Yes, I had to cut a bit of metal here and there but i can restore it to original in about 15 mins if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Two comments after reading this thread...
1) I believe the vents in the trunk are EXHAUST. They allow air OUT, not in. The air flow is out of the passenger compartment by the hatrack ( parcel shelf) and then out of the trunk at the bumper level.

2) Low frequency sounds waves from the back of the cone will "roll" right around the lip of the speaker and cancel out the waves from the front. Mid range and high frequency waves do not do this. Therefore the sub woofers must be in an enclosure or you lose much of their bass sound.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Hmm...don't quite follow your explanation, but my entire parcel shelf has been replaced with a board, with holes ONLY where the 2 12's subs come through. The whole board is insulated against vibration and bolted down. Is that what you mean *not free air*?

I'd like the dynamat because my trunk panel and rear fender panels vibrate and bulge outwards when i turn up the sound. I beleive i am loosing oomph from the pulsing.

My sound system is silent from the outside but you can feel the pulses if you put your hand on any of the panels.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt even think of doing some kind of rear deck (parcel shelf as yuo call it) subwoofer. I dont quite like the idea of that. Since I got the system off a friend for almost a steal [$275 for 3-Infinity 1230W (300watts RMS; 1200watts Peak); Rockford Fosgate Punch 301m Amp; 2 speaker boxes (1 dual; 1 single) ]

Alone the amp+speakers would be about: $450 that without boxes, warrentys, wiring. Sounds like a good deal eh?

Also, eddie your benz is awesome, I wish had one just like it. (with mine so I'd have 2!) [:D]

While on the topic of subwoofers...
I run a DJ business and I use Beyma (spanish made) subwoofers. I had 2 18" (http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%2018G50-1.htm) and while at this party, i started to hear some funny vibrations from the sub so I had plenty of time b4 the party actually started I tore it apart and discovered:

Consequently, not only does that driver have a hole in it the other one blew it's voice coil. Funny thing is that the one with the hole in it still works! These are both powered by a Crown Microtech 2400 Amp. I am getting replacement subs italian made Eighteen Sound. http://www.usspeaker.com/eighteensound-18LW1400-1.htm

Enjoy All,

Kris

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
MS Fowler - 3/21/2005 6:17 AM

Two comments after reading this thread...
1) I believe the vents in the trunk are EXHAUST. They allow air OUT, not in. The air flow is out of the passenger compartment by the hatrack ( parcel shelf) and then out of the trunk at the bumper level.

2) Low frequency sounds waves from the back of the cone will "roll" right around the lip of the speaker and cancel out the waves from the front. Mid range and high frequency waves do not do this. Therefore the sub woofers must be in an enclosure or you lose much of their bass sound.
I think that you are reading too much into these vents. They don't have a bypass valve, the flaps open when the doors shut or the trunk lid shuts. How exactly do you think those little flaps would be able to let air in but not out?? Maybe it is just me, but that doesn't quite make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Wow finally someone got it right with the air vents. It's almost funny with what ideas people come up with. No, I'm not trying to ridicule anyone but many individuals are quite car savvy and I'm surprised they were getting it wrong.

Nonetheless, that looks like an impressive install.

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
Both good installs.Different strokes for different folks, but I like the rear deck idea.I've modified one, long time ago on my first car,not for a sub though, as that was well before their time.Think I may try it as I only want a little more bass.

·
Registered
90 420SEL
44 Posts
Both good installs.Different strokes for different folks, but I like the rear deck idea.I've modified one, long time ago on my first car,not for a sub though, as that was well before their time.Think I may try it as I only want a little more bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts