Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SL500 (R129), 500 SEC (W126)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 SL500, 203k miles.

My windscreen washers are slowly dying on me. First the right side got weaker and weaker, then gave out altogether. Then one half of the left side. Now I am down to an ever-diminishing single stream from the outer left washer jet, no doubt about to go soon.

Any ideas? If it were the pump, surely they would all fade together? The only thing I can think of is that I recently changed the fluid additive. I started using Mercedes' new Winter Fit fluid and it was horribly smeary. However, a flush of the fluid has not helped.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
1999 SL500, 203k miles.

My windscreen washers are slowly dying on me. First the right side got weaker and weaker, then gave out altogether. Then one half of the left side. Now I am down to an ever-diminishing single stream from the outer left washer jet, no doubt about to go soon.

Any ideas? If it were the pump, surely they would all fade together? The only thing I can think of is that I recently changed the fluid additive. I started using Mercedes' new Winter Fit fluid and it was horribly smeary. However, a flush of the fluid has not helped.

Thanks in advance.
Hi jj,
It just sounds like your jets are clogged from either the new additive or dirty water. But to eliminate the pump, you could follow the supply pipe back from the jets, down the drivers side (UK) bonnet hinge towards the pump in the washer bottle and disconnect it at any suitable place. Try the pump again, if you get a good flow, it's probably blocked jets. A fine needle or a squirt of air from a bicycle pump might clear them, or just fit new ones. If the water flow is poor, I guess a new pump might be in order. Hope this helps.
Regards
Steve

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Take the washer out; put them into vinegar.

Or,

Add some in your washer fluid reservoir.

That's calcareous limestone clogging it.

·
Registered
SL 320 (1996)
1 Posts
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my 1996 sl320, I think I have traced the problem to the washer scheck valve, it is located under the middle black panel on the inside of the bonnet. I think that you can get a replacement from a dealer, but I am planning on changing mine to a standard t shaped connector, only cost a couple of £.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,118 Posts
Start with checking the output of the pump either at the pump or at the input side of the check valve, then the output sides, then the jets.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,028 Posts
My pump died a few years ago but i never drive it in weather that would need the washer so i have yet to change it! but all good ideas when i do think i want it fixed.... :)

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
^^^ You might well need to have it in working condition, regardless of weather, for your own safety.

·
Registered
SL500 (R129), 500 SEC (W126)
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice. I checked the pump and it was OK. I then cleaned out the jet nozzles with a pin and, low and behold, they now work.

FYI, a new pump is GBP20, about US$30 and very easy to fit. In the UK, at least, it is a construction and use offence not to have working washers.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I checked the pump and it was OK. I then cleaned out the jet nozzles with a pin and, low and behold, they now work.

FYI, a new pump is GBP20, about US$30 and very easy to fit. In the UK, at least, it is a construction and use offence not to have working washers.
You got lucky. Now where to go from here? Get rid of all that store bought windshield washer fluid!! All it does is clog your nozzles! Use distilled water, a cup of vinegar and a few squirts of dishwashing liquid. After cleaning my nozzles three times and then having to replace them completely, that is all I use now! No problems in three years! If you are worried about freezing, throw a little alcohol into the mix (not the good stuff! :D).

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
You got lucky. Now where to go from here? Get rid of all that store bought windshield washer fluid!! All it does is clog your nozzles! Use distilled water, a cup of vinegar and a few squirts of dishwashing liquid. After cleaning my nozzles three times and then having to replace them completely, that is all I use now! No problems in three years! If you are worried about freezing, throw a little alcohol into the mix (not the good stuff! :D).
Hi Mike,
Now that jjrodgers problem has been solved, I'd like you to open a new thread regarding your footnote 'He who dies with the most cylinders wins'. I think we could get some spectacular numbers on this site looking at statistics.
I would like to start off with a paltry 27, including a single cylinder motorbike. (But no lawnmowers please). What do you think? :). Or has it been done? :confused:
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
OK. What's the worst that can happen? A friendly moderator says "Don't do that". I'm game.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts