Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My car (W124 E220 M111 engine), especially when cold, makes a rattle. It sounds like the tappets but since they are hydraulic, I guess they are not adjustable.

I also thought that it might be the sound of a dying tensioner. After all, the tensioner has been on the car for 13years, so should benefit from a change?

What's the symptoms of a dying tensioner and what's the expected life of it? What should I change together with the tensioner?

Is the tensioner the likely cause of the rattle? Or would I have to do something with the tappets?

My car has been doing this since 2 years ago. It has nearly 60000km on the clock.

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
my tensioner went bad too. I hear its a royal pain to get off. So what i did was unscrew the tensioner form its tyop mount. Fabrticate a steel rob and welded it to the top of the tensioner and cut several holes in the top for adjustment. It works fine and no need to get a new part or put a new one in. although i'll prob get bored one day and just replace it.

when my car was running it too made that rattleing sound. Almost sounded like a knock, but with the new rigging it doesn;t make that sound (nor start for that matter but thats a different story)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers mate.

I'm most probably going to bring the car to the shop and have it replaced altogether. Don't want any worries, since I'm not much good with a spanner.

What symptoms did your car have when the tensioner died? I'm trying to narrow down the problem so that I don't replace something that need not be done... On my car it sounds exactly like the tappets. The frequency would increase as you increase the revs... Worrying isn't it... Hope I'm not in for a head job at 60000km... (at least 30000km of which is motorway)

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
300e 4Matic
286 Posts
look at the motor you'll see the tensioner vibrating really bad. Than hold the tensioner with a finger tightly (becarefull not to lose your hand to the fan or serpentine belt). If the noise stops viola if nto you have another problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jmoney6 said:
look at the motor you'll see the tensioner vibrating really bad. Than hold the tensioner with a finger tightly (becarefull not to lose your hand to the fan or serpentine belt). If the noise stops viola if nto you have another problem.
Cheers mate. Will try it but I'll borrow someone else's hand... The fan is really quite scary... LOL

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,938 Posts
Try checking the tensioner "strut/shock" first. You can see it clearly, and have room to place a stiff dowl or something on it to hold it in place while the engine is running. The bushings have a tendency to fail. Not a difficult DIY job to replace. When the bushings are bad, it sounds like tappets with a mile of gap in them.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem, the top bushing was shot. I unscrewed the top bolt and put some washers on either side and cranked it back down. Problem solved. I got a new cylinder but haven't put it on yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts