Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving my new to me 91 560sel with 155,000 miles and while going up a hill it dies. I coast it to the side of the road and it fires right up but has no power at all if you try and give it gas. It does however get up to speed if you take it super easy on the pedal, but then it's blowing black smoke.
My mechanic says it's running super rich and adjusts it at the intake but says he had to adjust it way too much for it to have changed and that something else has had to cause this. I had driven an entire tank of gas in it(premium) and it still had about 4 gallons in it when I filled it after this situation. And it drove fine up until that point(dying).
It drove fine right after he adjusted it but a couple hours later it was right back at it.

Any help in determining why it started running rich enough to kill the engine and then continue on that way would be great. Or any threads of the same issue would be great too since I know most people don't like going over things continuously.

Thanks a bunch, Lee.

·
Registered
1967 250SE Cpe, 1979 450SL, 1984 300TDT (sold), 1989 560SEC, 1990 300CE, 1993 300CE cab
41 Posts
If the car is new to you, first thing I would do is pull the driver side (LH) valve cover, and inspect the plastic guide rails, on which the chain rests.

If the top portion of one of them broke off, your timing may have jumped. In that case, I would not start the car again until it is fixed, and buy a few lottery tickets since you are lucky.

If they are still intact and reddish/brown, I would put replacement very, very high on my to-do-list.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like what happened when my chain jumped. Just like it...

Peter is correct about the VC. Pull it and inspect the plastic guides. The drivers side upper/inner is the weak one. I've seen two motors they have broken on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts