Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to order dye from World Upholstery when I read this:

Classic dye is not formulated to refinish flexible plastics, such as dashes, consoles, kick pads, without a bonding coat. Adhesion to a clean plastic surface after the application of a bonding coat is excellent.

My plan was to coat the console which is a plastic and the adjacent panels which are MBtex and perhaps the dash too, which is some sort of vinyl.

It would seem that I should be getting the Classic Dye, Triclean and "Plastic Bonder"? Is that what others have done?

I checked Parasol in Toronto and they have several products - Leathercote, Varikote, Varibond etc - It is not clear which one should be used. They also have a primer for "hard to coat" plastics. Parasol say their product is intended for spraying - But, I would like to brush it if I could - less waste and required for some in-car parts like the dash. They have spray cans, but require an order for 6 for a non-standard colour which any of our colours is.

Leatherique are always well spoken of, but their web site hardly mentions vinyls & plastics. They have a Toronto outlet, but seem pricy for custom colours.

Probably best to order spray cans from WU, and have them shipped to Watertown NY for pickup. If I order bottles, they can ship to me in Canada but I think they use UPS who are a disaster for cross border shipments.

I intended to order a couple of spray cans plus the Triclean. But maybe I need the primer too?

Any words of advice?

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
It would seem that I should be getting the Classic Dye, Triclean and "Plastic Bonder"? Is that what others have done?
Nope, I just got the cleaner and dye. Tonight I installed the carpet piece the new console style pretty much demands and I had to pull it out a couple of times to get it trimmed to the right size. Since the new style console has a recess to hide the edges of the carpet, I used a screwdriver to get under the carpet - my thought was that a scratch wouldn't matter, it'd be covered by the carpet, but there weren't any scratches. Since it's had a few days to cure it seems to be pretty tightly bonded all by itself.

I'd gone out to WU to pick it up and they certainly had the chance to upsell the bonder. They knew I was using it to dye the center console, I even took it out with me to show them the existing color and find out how much dye I needed. They didn't, which tells me they're comfortable with just the cleaner and dye for center consoles.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, I just got the cleaner and dye. Tonight I installed the carpet piece the new console style pretty much demands and I had to pull it out a couple of times to get it trimmed to the right size. Since the new style console has a recess to hide the edges of the carpet, I used a screwdriver to get under the carpet - my thought was that a scratch wouldn't matter, it'd be covered by the carpet, but there weren't any scratches. Since it's had a few days to cure it seems to be pretty tightly bonded all by itself.

I'd gone out to WU to pick it up and they certainly had the chance to upsell the bonder. They knew I was using it to dye the center console, I even took it out with me to show them the existing color and find out how much dye I needed. They didn't, which tells me they're comfortable with just the cleaner and dye for center consoles.
OK Thanks Scott - Maybe I will call them tomorrow before placing order just to be sure.

I found that I had sample colours from XKSS which seems to be same company - I got these in 1990 when I bought new seat covers! Funny thing is that my car has interior code 263 and says it is mahogany, but the samples that match are code 263 which XKSS called Tobacco. The colours on their web site are not the same as either of them!

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,595 Posts
Leatherique dye worked okay on my sunvisor.
The prices on their US website re better than on the Canadian.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leatherique dye worked okay on my sunvisor.
The prices on their US website re better than on the Canadian.
I was going to use them, but have left things to last minute and they don't have pre-made colours - have to send them a swatch.

I am heading South Saturday, but not near Leatherique .

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,595 Posts
I was going to use them, but have left things to last minute and they don't have pre-made colours - have to send them a swatch.

I am heading South Saturday, but not near Leatherique .
Graham, they will mix custom colour to OEM code.
I have the US company ship for pickup across the border.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Graham, they will mix custom colour to OEM code.
I have the US company ship for pickup across the border.
Good Morning!

I realise they will colour match, but my problem is that once again have not left enough time :( They need a swatch to match to. I can't get it to them in time for them to mix and ship product for me to pick up on May 20th. We are not as close as you are to the border. I already have colour samples from WU that I have had since I bought my new seat covers - Hope they have not changed. If match is not what I want, I guess I will just not install the "new" console until I get it right.

Thanks for idea though.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,595 Posts
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but what I am saying is you need not send a swatch if you know the MB OEM colour code.
For the record, I have no pecuniary interest in Leatherique.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't want to beat a dead horse, but what I am saying is you need not send a swatch if you know the MB OEM colour code.
For the record, I have no pecuniary interest in Leatherique.
Could be, but I had several conversations with them last winter when I was in SC. I wanted them to send me the dye then, but they said they should get the swatch because they don't have 1972 code 263 in their online MB colours. Even then, they said it might be best to just pick something close and then redo everything.

I would have liked to buy their stuff, but I am sure the WU dyes that Scott used will be fine for my purposes. Just about to call them about need for the primer on console.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Thanks Scott - Maybe I will call them tomorrow before placing order just to be sure.

I found that I had sample colours from XKSS which seems to be same company - I got these in 1990 when I bought new seat covers! Funny thing is that my car has interior code 263 and says it is mahogany, but the samples that match are code 263 which XKSS called Tobacco. The colours on their web site are not the same as either of them!
I called them about the primer, and they did recommend using it. I said I would be coating a black console similar to the ones they are still selling, so they understood the application. Not to alarm you Scott, but they said that the dye might peel off if the primer was not used.

Regarding the discrepancy in the colours, they said their codes, although similar numbers, are NOT the MB codes. So, my code 263 being called Mahogany by Mercedes and Tobacco by WU, is not altogether surprising. She said I should by mahogany, but my colour swatch that matches my seats and other parts is called tobacco, so that's what I went with. It would be so much easier to just drive over there and talk to them as Scott did!

Should have this stuff later this month. Then will take my time dismantling old unit and maybe trying some of the spray on that first to see what it will look like.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I called them about the primer, and they did recommend using it. I said I would be coating a black console similar to the ones they are still selling, so they understood the application. Not to alarm you Scott, but they said that the dye might peel off if the primer was not used.
Eh, if it does I'll respray it. But I don't think it will.

It would be so much easier to just drive over there and talk to them as Scott did!
Especially with the questionable colors. There were apparently two colors called Bamboo. To keep them straight, WU calls them Bamboo and Antique Bamboo. I ordered over the phone and discovered when I went out there that I wanted the other Bamboo, not the one I ordered. But once it was on it was a great match.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh, if it does I'll respray it. But I don't think it will.
I sprayed my console today.

I used Triclean and it took several applications and rubbing before cloth would stay clean - I think I was removing the black dye!

Then, I went to use the primer (PC Plastic Coater Primer from WU) . Right on the container, it says "For plastic and trim only - do not use on vinyl"

My old console was brittle where it has been in sun, so I thought it was a molded hard plastic. But it is actually a soft material and is probably vinyl.

WU's statement that dashes etc need a primer is confusing:

Classic dye is not formulated to refinish flexible plastics, such as dashes, consoles, kick pads, without a bonding coat. Adhesion to a clean plastic surface after the application of a bonding coat is excellent.

I decided not to use the primer, but have no idea what WU really recommend :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I decided not to use the primer, but have no idea what WU really recommend
Mine is still holding up beautifully, and I haven't been careful with it. I carry a backpack most places, and it winds up sliding across the center console more often than not. The color seems to have darkened just a little bit as it's cured, but it's still a close enough match that no one notices but me.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is still holding up beautifully, and I haven't been careful with it. I carry a backpack most places, and it winds up sliding across the center console more often than not. The color seems to have darkened just a little bit as it's cured, but it's still a close enough match that no one notices but me.
I have sprayed the console that was black and the ashtray, shift surround and heating panel that were all originally MB 263 Mahogany. I am using WU 263 Tobacco that is quite close but does not have the reddish tint. I have two coats on the console, but it is still darker than the other parts. I will probably give it one more coat.

I will have to decide whether or not to also do the under dash panels, glove box etc. I don't really want to take those panels off if I don't have to. Seems any plastic part I mess with develops a crack! What do y'all think about doing those panels in place?

The dash itself is a different color and is original - It must have been part of the 2-tone interior scheme because it matches the door inserts. I have a crack in the dash, but the rest is good, so I may to try and fill the crack with some marine mahogany sealant/adhesive. Later a dash cap, I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
What do y'all think about doing those panels in place?
I wouldn't, but I manage to get overspray on everything. When I spray it involves a huge dropcloth and I still wind up with stuff where I didn't want it.

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't, but I manage to get overspray on everything. When I spray it involves a huge dropcloth and I still wind up with stuff where I didn't want it.
I was thinking about brushing in those areas. I tried using brush on one small part and it's amazing how the dye level out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts