Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an order in with my dealer for the new 2004 CLK 320 convertible (W209)- delivery probably not until September. Amazingly, this car is only being offered with outdated CD-ROM Nav, not DVD Nav like S, E and ML classes.

What are my options for getting DVD Nav for this car? Could the COMAND system from an ML, E, or S-Class be retrofitted to this car (I assume it's the same as the current 2003 coupe, which is based on the C Class)?

Should I just give up on Mercedes, order the car without COMAND, and put in an aftermarket system? Alpine? Harmon Kardon TrafficPro? I would prefer a completely in-dash system, not a screen that blocks part of my dash.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The ML uses MCS, not COMAND, and it will not work in a CLK. The S class does not have D...

The ML uses MCS, not COMAND, and it will not work in a CLK. The S class does not have DVD navigation. The DVD nav from the E won't work for two reasons. First, it won't fit because it is too wide for the console in a W209. Second, the W211 uses a different fiber optic communitcations protocol than any of the other Mercedes'.

The best after market dvd nav system I have seen is from Clarion. The H/K Traffic Pro is a single DIN unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CLK DVD Nav

Thanks for the info. Obviously, I got it wrong on the other models having DVD- you're right, they don't. And Mercedes is having trouble getting supplied by Harmon Kardon even for the E class.

I'm going to look at the Clarion as you suggested- I saw their "Joyride" product on their website, but I'm also going to look at the Alpine because it has a screen that can be slid into the dash when you're not using it.

Jason

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: The ML uses MCS, not COMAND, and it will not work in a CLK. The S class does not have D

The ML uses MCS, not COMAND, and it will not work in a CLK. The S class does not have DVD navigation. The DVD nav from the E won't work for two reasons. First, it won't fit because it is too wide for the console in a W209. Second, the W211 uses a different fiber optic communitcations protocol than any of the other Mercedes'.
Oooh, that's not quite correct.

The MCS, although only shipped with the M-class in North America, will work in just about every Mercedes. It's actually an easier retrofit than COMAND because it uses the A/B/C connectors from the non-COMAND cars, instead of replacing the C connector with C1/C2.

The MOST bus in the current W211 will be migrated to other cars in the near future, possibly for 2004 in some vehicles. The fibre optic ring used for audio and control signals is generally unrelated to the car. This is why a D2B COMAND (along with associated D2B peripherals) can be retrofitted to a car that originally did not have D2B, e.g. COMAND to a MY1996 W210. Therefore, one can draw the conclusion that MOST could be fitted to older cars as well.

-s-

·
Registered
01 ML430, 03 C320 Coupe MT, 14 GL450
952 Posts
We are on the list for a CLK cab as well, and as far as I know, the dealers cannot order t...

We are on the list for a CLK cab as well, and as far as I know, the dealers cannot order the cars on the computer yet. That means that they don't know what options it will come with, no matter what the sales guy says. My sales guy is actually pretty good about forwarding all info to me as they get it, and he faxes the press releases etc to me as they receive it at the dealer. Last (about two weeks ago) he told me that the car was not in the ordering system yet.

So who knows, maybe they will get the DVD system yet...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MCS retrofit to CLK

Scorchie-
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a possibility that the MCS system could be retrofitted to a 2004 CLK, but it depends whether it would fit in the console (width might be too narrow) and I can't imagine where I'd find someone to install it for me. I doubt the dealer would be willing to take on a custom retrofit.
I think if Mercedes insists on offering the old CD-ROM COMAND system I will opt out and buy an aftermarket Alpine PowerNAV system. It's a one DIN unit that will enable me also to keep the dash pocket below.

If they change their minds and offer DVD, I will buy it as a factory option. But not if they insist on offering it with outdated technology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not in the system yet

Daniel-
You're right- the new Cab is not in the system yet and the dealers don't have an official list of what options will be available. However, I saw the car at the NY Auto Show at the end of April and it was shown with the CD-ROM Nav. I spoke to several MBenz USA officials there to register my displeasure and they were quite sheepish and apologetic, admitting that MBenz was behind the times.

I told them I wouldn't order the old CD-ROM system, so who knows- maybe they went back to headquarters and sent a message to Germany to say that sophisticated American consumers won't put up with outdated technology in a luxury car. The more customers on the waiting list refuse to order the old COMAND system, perhaps the more likely they'll switch to DVD. The cars won't be delivered until September, so there's time for them to get it right. On the other hand, Harmon Kardon is the supplier and they have been unable to supply enough units to Mercedes, so it might not be Mercedes' fault.

Let your dealer know you won't buy the old system.

Jason

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The display unit is a single din unit. When the display is up, it will block the row of...

The display unit is a single din unit. When the display is up, it will block the row of buttons above it and possibly the center vents. The actual navigation unit will have to be mounted elsewhere, either below the display (eliminating the cubby hole) or in the gloveboxe.

You might wish to check out the Clarion Nav unit. It is very highly regarded by those who have purchased them.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Caigy,

The area in the W209 CLK is a two-DIN area, but the opening is rather weirdly sh...

Caigy,

The area in the W209 CLK is a two-DIN area, but the opening is rather weirdly shaped and would require a spacer to take up the space. Very ugly if you install anything but an OEM-COMAND.

I would wait for the car to be built before making a decision. It is possible that the 2004 systems will be fitted with MOST bus, which would make using the older OEM systems not as easy.

If the car does ship with the regular D2B bus, you can easily retrofit a COMAND system.

-s-

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Metra makes a fascia plate to fill the oddly shaped opening. The Metra plate has two st...

Metra makes a fascia plate to fill the oddly shaped opening. The Metra plate has two standard DIN openings.

scorchie, if the 2004's have MOST rather than D2B, does that mean that a dvd nav system will be available, or that an OEM dvd nav system can be added?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: Metra makes a fascia plate to fill the oddly shaped opening. The Metra plate has two st

Metra makes a fascia plate to fill the oddly shaped opening. The Metra plate has two standard DIN openings.

scorchie, if the 2004's have MOST rather than D2B, does that mean that a dvd nav system will be available, or that an OEM dvd nav system can be added?
Lynn, we've heard that the DVD-nav may be available for the 2004 models. They are now in the system (with scheduled production dates) but I do not believe DVD-nav is on the available option list yet (much like it was not on the W211 until recently).

My guess is that the new UHI (the phone system interface) will be MOST-only... so those of us with the older systems will be locked out until we figure a way to upgrade. I am sure Steve will figure it out! [;)]

-s-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DVD for 2004?

Scorchie-
Where are you hearing that DVD Nav may be available for 2004? As I mentioned in an earlier post, Mercedes executives told me it wouldn't. That would be great news if they have somehow decided to make them available in time for September.

I am confused about these buses you and others have written about. I gather that D2B is being phased out in favor of MOST, but what is MOST, and what does it allow you to do that D2B doesn't?

If Mercedes ships 2004 CLK Cabriolets with MOST bus but does not offer DVD Nav right away, is it safe to assume that a future DVD Nav for late 2004 models or early 2005 models would be MOST-compatible and could be retrofitted to the early 2004 Cabs?

Thanks,
Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts