Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am planning to do the same on my S320 YM2000 possibly in few weeks time, I’ll update you with the progress.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
We would need more than just an image; how about a link? The very first issue is whether the unit is MOST or D2B (or fiber optic at all). Your car has a D2B fiber optics bus, and MOST bus equipment is incompatible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found a simular unit on Ebay. It said in the fine print that it was not compatible with the fiber optic amp and that the amp had to be replaced or you could use the amp it had buit in. I assume that means complete speaker rewire minimum and probably all speaker replacement since the bose speakers are 2ohm. For what its worth the Menus and interface of the unit on ebay looked awful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with Trentdufour. I lightly considered something like this but the interface looked cheesy at best. Then again, I have the late COMAND system which is much better than the smaller more early units.

Best Regards,

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all of your ccomments. They said that they will supply Canbus which compatible with original plugs and so all steering wheel and cluster will work. However, the postage is $100 I do not want to try so if anyone tried before please let me know

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Hope someone does take the plunge and installs the eagle9 linked unit. Seems to be just what the earlier W220's like mine need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone had success in replacing the head unit with a 7" screen?
I'm want to replace the stock unit but it seems painful and expensive. What units are recommended and how much should I expect to pay? BTW, I would like to keep the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought one of these units and installed in place of my original Comand unit which was causing a few issues such as constant battery drain, and navigation was not working.
I asked around a few install experts with varying opinions.
The unit i bought on EBAY from china is described as a QL-600 model touchscreen, DVD and navigation unit. It looks the same as the pic as posted.
It was not a simple install, but there was no need to replace speakers or AMP.
A custom wiring harness was made up by my installer for the speaker wires to by-pass the Bose FO Amp.
I didnt get a replacement Amp, I used the built in one. Sound quality is as good as before, I have no complaints.
The Navigation is up to date and uses IGO software from Naviextras.com. I believe its updatable.
The touchscreen is excellent, it swipes like using an IPAD.
The other benefits I have is DVD on a 7 inch screen which works anytime. You get micro SD card ports which allow you to load up 1000's of music files, movies etc. In the glovebox I have the USB and iPhone connection cables.
The downside is that you lose Comand, you lose the clock in the Instrument Cluster, and the NAV says its OFF. The steering wheel controls all work as before, but changing menus this way also changes radio stations.
The unit is slightly too deep to fit flush, so you do need to cut a bracket behind the unit.
It looks like a genuine MB unit and to me looks and performs much better than my original system.
I have used OBD2 diagnostics and the replacement system has not thrown up any new codes at all.
I do recommend the replacement unit but you do need an installer who knows canbus and Fibre Optics. I was fortunate enough to find a guy who was spot on with knowledge and did it for $100 all up. I wass quoted by other "experts" up to $400 who were very pessimistic it would work at all.
The kit comes with new facia woodwork which replaces your existing one, and the AC module plugs straight in to the new one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought one of these units and installed in place of my original Comand unit which was causing a few issues such as constant battery drain, and navigation was not working.
I asked around a few install experts with varying opinions.
The unit i bought on EBAY from china is described as a QL-600 model touchscreen, DVD and navigation unit. It looks the same as the pic as posted.
It was not a simple install, but there was no need to replace speakers or AMP.
A custom wiring harness was made up by my installer for the speaker wires to by-pass the Bose FO Amp.
I didnt get a replacement Amp, I used the built in one. Sound quality is as good as before, I have no complaints.
The Navigation is up to date and uses IGO software from Naviextras.com. I believe its updatable.
The touchscreen is excellent, it swipes like using an IPAD.
The other benefits I have is DVD on a 7 inch screen which works anytime. You get micro SD card ports which allow you to load up 1000's of music files, movies etc. In the glovebox I have the USB and iPhone connection cables.
The downside is that you lose Comand, you lose the clock in the Instrument Cluster, and the NAV says its OFF. The steering wheel controls all work as before, but changing menus this way also changes radio stations.
The unit is slightly too deep to fit flush, so you do need to cut a bracket behind the unit.
It looks like a genuine MB unit and to me looks and performs much better than my original system.
I have used OBD2 diagnostics and the replacement system has not thrown up any new codes at all.
I do recommend the replacement unit but you do need an installer who knows canbus and Fibre Optics. I was fortunate enough to find a guy who was spot on with knowledge and did it for $100 all up. I wass quoted by other "experts" up to $400 who were very pessimistic it would work at all.
The kit comes with new facia woodwork which replaces your existing one, and the AC module plugs straight in to the new one.
what is meant by this statement above:

"A custom wiring harness was made up by my installer for the speaker wires to by-pass the Bose FO Amp."

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
The Bose amp in a W220 has fiber optic inputs, and only fiber optic inputs. It connects to a COMAND unit by fiber optic cables. The amp's outputs to the speakers are copper wire.

The head unit shirbenau installed had copper wire outputs and could not be connected to the Bose amp. Therefore he used the amp in his replacement head unit, and had a wire harness made to go directly to the speaker leads at the output side of the Bose amp.

Please note that this approach removes the active EQ that Bose developed for the W220. The active EQ is programmed into the Bose amp. The resulting sound may or may not be pleasing - it depends on one's own ears. Apparently shirbenau liked the result, since he says his new installation outperforms the original.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Bose amp in a W220 has fiber optic inputs, and only fiber optic inputs. It connects to a COMAND unit by fiber optic cables. The amp's outputs to the speakers are copper wire.

The head unit shirbenau installed had copper wire outputs and could not be connected to the Bose amp. Therefore he used the amp in his replacement head unit, and had a wire harness made to go directly to the speaker leads at the output side of the Bose amp.

Please note that this approach removes the active EQ that Bose developed for the W220. The active EQ is programmed into the Bose amp. The resulting sound may or may not be pleasing - it depends on one's own ears. Apparently shirbenau liked the result, since he says his new installation outperforms the original.
Wow. Thanx skylaw. So, you ARE familiar with the chinese headunit. Guess they WORK then. From
what you and shirbenau are saying is i can keep the stock amp and speakers with this unit, but just lose some functionality of the bose system. You make a harness to connect copper wires from the new headunit amp, to the output of the factory amp. Im gonna seriously debate this unit. My next problem is to find a reputable seller as there are quite a number of sellers advertising it. Guess ill research the ebay sellers. Thanx again.

LATE EDIT: it just dawned on me. if that bypass can work for that particular radio, it should work for ANY aftermarket radio with the copper wire output. seems like all i gotta do is find the pioneer unit i want ( love pioneer), get the appropriate steering wheel control module,( if i choose to retain that), get some kind of replacement woodgrain replacement and have a installer do that bypass mentioned above and be done with it without having to order a chinese unit from overseas??? does this sound correct??

a aftermarket woodgrain:

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Wow. Thanx skylaw. So, you ARE familiar with the chinese headunit. Guess they WORK then.

LATE EDIT: it just dawned on me. if that bypass can work for that particular radio, it should work for ANY aftermarket radio with the copper wire output.
No, I am not familiar with the Chinese unit discussed in this thread. However, I am very familiar with what it would take to wire any copper-wire unit direct to the speakers - as it dawned on you. The Chinese unit would be wired like any other with copper wire outputs. Yes, you can do it with a Pioneer or any other. However - if you have Bose speakers and remove the active EQ that is programmed into the amp specifically for each model of car, you may or may not be satisfied with the audio quality. It is up to you. I truly believe one should not pay for audio improvement that one cannot hear - but since the speakers were designed for active EQ, many folks report they sound "dead" when the Bose amp is bypassed.

That is why many folks who replace the Bose amp do so with a good head unit, specialized audio processors (such as the Audion Bit-1) and high quality amps. And in doing that, the amp must be chosen so that 1) it is not too powerful for the 2-Ohm Bose speakers, which have only half the impedance that most car speakers do; and 2) not too weak, so that the lower impedance of the speakers does not overdrive drive the amp to clipping and distortion. I suspect you'd be OK with most amps that are around 50 watts per channel.

As to the particular Chinese unit - I have no familiarity with it at all. I do know that in researching units 2 years go, I came across a unit marketed under many different brand names, and all had very bad reviews in terms of both performance and quality, and little service or support. I do not know if those bad reviews would apply to the unit discussed here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I am happy with my unit and it looks good, I dont listen to a lot of music particularly louder than speaking volume. I dont get any distortion even if I do crank up the radio to higher volume.
For me, it suits, as I can let the kids watch a dvd or i can plug in my iphone or a USB drive with some TV I have downloaded.
I didnt notice anything different from the original sound quality, but I wasnt aiming to get better sound for music. I got it to solve a faulty Comand that drained my battery and my Navigation was in error.
This cheap chinese unit solved my issues and hasnt given me any unexpected errors or problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Ok so the question that has been avoided by all in this forum regarding this issue is what are the pinouts of the Bose Amp wire harness so that you can make your own harness? That info should be here so that this issue is dealt with correctly and efficiently. That is all we need to know is how to make the wire harness. We can judge sound quality and all that later. Some people are willing to sacrifice a little sound quality for features cause the Command 2.5 headunit sucks compared to the modern devices you can get now for less price.

Also how was the wiring done? Thats another question that has not been answered sufficiently. Are there unused connections that can be used at the console or do you have to use a cable thats already provided by the Chinese headunit. Im thinking you have to wire the cable from the headunit back to the trunk yourself. So whats the best way to do that?

i would like to solve this issue once and for all since many can do this themselves and dont need to go to radio installation guys.

I have WISNet and im looking at the wiring diagrams now. So if i figure it out before anyone else that already knows post something then i will post here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh! i wanted to add that i have a w202 analog Bose amp (from a 2000 eclass) with the copper wire output and inputs that i got from a junkyard. There is no fiber inputs and the harness has extra wires so im thinking some of those are the inputs from the headunit. If i can find the input pinouts from the wiring diagram on WISnet then i can install this amp and replace the pins from the w220 Bose fiber amp in the correct positions and then just add the inputs from the aftermarket headunit. That way you can still use the Bose sound system.

Its a cheaper way to do it cause you dont shell out 600 bucks for the Chinese w220 aftermarket headunit and you still have the Bose sound system. I paid $50 for the Amp, $250 for the aftermarket DVD GPS system and $80 for the w220 Double Din bezel. I hope it works.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Ok so the question that has been avoided by all in this forum regarding this issue is what are the pinouts of the Bose Amp wire harness so that you can make your own harness? That info should be here so that this issue is dealt with correctly and efficiently. That is all we need to know is how to make the wire harness.
Best not to lecture us, trajanH. Frankly, the attitude you express in those comments is offensive.

It should be obvious from the prior posts that the Bose amp connects to the HU by fiber optics leads - one in, one out. Then there is a +12v, a ground, and a wake-up wire. Because of this, folks don't connect 3rd party copper-wired HUs directly to the Bose amps. The question isn't "being avoided" - the answer is apparent to the most casual observer. There ARE no "pinouts" to connect the 3rd party HU to any of the newer Bose fiber optics amps.

There is a device for connecting many 3rd party HUs to the Bose amp now - called the OPTI-1. You'd have to deal with the sellers of that device, and the forum has a lot of information posted on it.

Your next post clarifies that you are trying to connect a non-fiber Bose amp to an unspecified 3rd party HU. That would have been nice to know at the outset. So would the specific model number of the amp - since pinouts of older amps may vary. And I might add - folks in the W220 forum haven't exactly expressed great interest in cobbing together 13 year old junkyard Bose amps from an entirely different series, with unspecified aftermarket head units. That's one reason you don't find too much on pinouts for such a project. We do tend to be interested in getting the best sound from our systems, so that is where the focus has been. All of that is member/owner driven, and it isn't "avoidance" - it is lack of interest in the kind of marginal project you envision.

If there is information you would like to have on the forum that you do not find here, you are welcome to do your research and post what is missing. That's how the rest of the useful information on the forum got here - not by chastising members to put it there for you. Good luck in your research.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well i did install that w202 Bose Amp in my 2000 S500 with a Chinese aftermarket DVD/GPS system and it sounds awesome! I have to say this is wayy better than the stock 2.5 command unit. If you are concerned about the sound then dont be concerned about the sound. My musicians ears says it sounds just as good if not better. The aftermarket Chinese DVD/GPS headunit has more control of the sound and it seems like more power than you will need. The subwoofer booms loud and you get all those features that you miss in the stock command.

Ok I lost the steering wheel controls which is not really an issue for me. The aftermarket head unit has connection wires for steering wheel control but i did not bother to hook them up to the Can Bus High and Low wires to even see if that worked.

1. You will need the 2.5 Command pinouts for reference.
2. To Wake Up the Amp you will need to connect the Ignition wire of the Head Unit to FM/AM Amplifier Wake Up line(blue black) going into the Command 2.5 unit and splice it with the power line from the cigarette lighter.. The cigarette lighter power is a switched power line so when you turn the ignition key the headunit and amp will turn on or "Wake Up."
3. I did not use the Illumination line of the headunit.
4.I did not connect the Center Cockpit Speaker. The W202 analog Amp does not support a Center Cockpit Speaker so dont worry about it. The sound is still awesome!
5. You will need to take out the drivers seat and the back seats and then lift up the drivers side carpet to find the plastic wiring ducts for your wiring back to the trunk.
6. You will need to remove the Center Console and be careful with the front compartment so that you dont break it. Mercedes Benz does not tell you how to remove the front compartment which is needed to remove the Center Console. You have to remove the black felt floor first and to do that you use a small flat jewelers screw driver and lift out the back side closest to the gear shift. You will see a separation in the felt floor at the top back side closet to the gear shift so stick the screwdriver or sharp pin in there and carefully pry it out then you can remove the felt floor then have access to the sliding door panel. Its a pain in the butt thats not explained in the Mercedes W220 repair documentation on WISNET but once you mess around with it you will know what i mean.
7.The w220 200 S500 Double Din Bezels that you will most likely find on ebay or from Chinese suppliers n the internet(all are really from China) do not really fit some Chinese DVD/GPS players. I think the rule is that if you have a generic Chinese DVD/GPS that has a motorized face panel that tilts up and down then it will not really fit. I had to use my dremel tool and trim a part of the plastic around the bezel so my motorized DVD/GPS could fit. You might have noticed that most of the DVD/GPS shown for the w220 s500 cars do not have any motorized face panels. So if you dont want to trim your bezel get a DVD/GPS without a moving face panel. Oh! You might also have to trim the metal bracket to fit. These are all the things that i had to do and it does not take a lot of time if you have a dremel tool but just be careful when you buy stuff from China on ebay or direct form the suppliers. They tell you stuff will work and then you get it and it does not. The bezel packaging i received said "Benz 2006" on it so it might fit the 2006 s500 models and not fit the 2000 s500 yet they say otherwise.
8. I have posted below the pinouts of the w220 digital fiber Amp and the w202 analog Amp. Just cut the wires going out of the w220 digital fiber amp and splice them to the corresponding wires of the w202 Amp. I used heat shrink tubing and and had the same color coded wiring and sizes so it look really nice after. It was simple to do cause i had the pinouts on a paper in front of me. I Just took my time and it took me a couple of hours.
9.You only have to connect the wires to the Woofer connector on each door. The smaller gauge wire that is the same color to the Tweeter of each door is inside the door going from the Woofer to the Tweeter.
10. The Bass Module(Sub Woofer) connection of the Bose fiber amp uses the Left and Right Rear speaker connections of the w202 analog amp. So the 2 speakers in the rear of the w202 amp cars will connect to the one Sub Woofer in the rear of the w220 cars.
11. Either way you go you(or someone) will have to connect wires from the headunit to the Amp in the trunk if you want an aftermarket DVD/GPS system to work in the w220 s500 cars with Bose fiber amps. This is the best way to keep the Bose sound the way it was meant to sound in the car. It took some time to do it but the result was certainly worth it cause i love the way it looks and sounds and updates the car. My screen tilts out at different angles so thats kinda cool too. When i start the car the Mercedes Star logo comes up on the screen and the display is bright and the navigation is awesome. I recommend using the iGO 8.3 nav app for Win CE 6. Its so cool with the different voice styles and the trip calculator and all that its got.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S500 W220 Fiber Amp Pinouts

Center Cockpit Speaker=Pin#16 color=gray green-(negative) / Pin#24 color=gray white+(positive) wire size=1,0

Tweeter Left Front Door=Pin#21 color=green brown-(negative) / Pin#13 color=green+(positive) wire size=1,5
Woofer Left Front Door=Pin# color=green brown-(negative) / Pin# color=green+(positive) wire size=2,5

Tweeter right front door=Pin# color=black brown-(negative) / Pin# color=black+(positive) wire size=1,5
Woofer right front door=Pin#14 color=black brown-(negative) / Pin#22 color=black+(positive) wire size=2,5

Tweeter Left Rear Door=Pin# color=brown pink-(negative) / Pin# color=pink+(positive) wire size=1,5
Woofer Left Rear Door=Pin#15 color=brown pink-(negative) / Pin#23 color=pink+(positive) wire size=2,5

Tweeter Right Rear Door=Pin# color=brown white-(negative) / Pin# color=white+(positive) wire size=1,5
Woofer Right Rear Door=Pin#17 color=brown white-(negative) / Pin#25 color=white+(positive) wire size=2,5

Bass Module=Pin#19 color=blue+(positive) / Pin#11 color=brown blue-(negative) wire size=2,5

Sound Microphone Amp=Pin#3 color=brown-(negative) / Pin#1 color=white+(positive) wire size=0,35

Wake Up=Pin#8 color=blue black wire size=0,35

Ground=Pin#9 color=brown-(negative) wire size=2,5

Power(fuse)=Pin#26 color=red yellow+(positive) wire size=2,5

D2B=Optical cable color=orange(out=1) / color=orange(In=2) wire size=0,8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

W202 Amp Pinouts from Car Model 2020239282305

Left Rear Door Speaker=Pin#23 color=pink+(positive) / Pin#15 color=brown pink-(negative) wire size=1,5
Right Rear Door Speaker=Pin#25 color=white+(positive) / Pin#17 color=brown white-(negative)

Left Rear Speaker=Pin#20 color=gray+(positive) / Pin#12 color=brown gray-(negative) wire size=1,5 --to Bass Module
Right Rear Speaker=Pin#19 color=purple+(positive) / Pin#11 color=brown purple-(negative) wire size=2,5 --to Bass Module

Left Front Door Speaker=Pin#13 color=green+(positive) / Pin#21 color=brown green-(negative) wire size=1,5
Right Front Door Speaker=Pin#22 color=orange+(positive) / Pin#14 color=brown orange-(negative) wire size=2,5

Ground=Pin#9 color=brown-(negative) wire size=4,0

Power=Pin#26 color=red white+(positive) wire size=4,0

FM/Am Amplifier Wake Up=Pin#8 color=blue white wire size=1,0

Right Front Input= Pin#20 color=orange+(positive) / Pin #15 color=brown orange-(negative) wire size=0,75
Left Front Input=Pin#18 color=green+(positive) / Pin#10 color=brown green-(negative) wire size=0,75

Left Input Rear=Pin#3 color=brown pink-(negative) / Pin#15 color=pink+(positive) wire size=0,75
Right Input Rear=Pin#4 color=brown white-(negative) / Pin#6 color=white+(positive) wire size=0,75

1 - 20 of 49 Posts