Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've put this in Audio and Telematics Forum too, and I've searched and searched but found no answers to my specific questions :frown

I will be doing a complete Multimedia System install on my W220 S500 soon, and have got it all sussed out in my head apart from 2 Questions...........

I am fitting an Erisin type Android 5.1 HU, together with all the extra goodies including DVB TV.

This is the unit I bought Mercedes S-Class W220 Android 5.1 GPS Sat-Nav Stereo Head Unit DAB Radio WiFi BT | eBay

I would rather cut off a limb than use DVB Aerials that mount on the roof or on windows :frown
I don't think having them hidden inside the car somewhere would be good, as they would lose signal through the Glass and Metal Panels.

1) What I propose doing is hiding the 2 Stubby DVB Aerials behind the plastic rear bumper cover, and then running the cables with a 2 - 3m extension cable on each one, back to the DVB Box, which will be mounted in the same area as the HU.

Any ideas whether this will give satisfactory reception ??
Any ideas why not to do this ??
Any better ideas ??

2) My HU only has 2 USB Ports, can I use a 2 into 1 USB Lead so I can connect DVR Dash Cam and also DAB+ Radio into one of the USB Ports on HU and leave the remaining USB port for WiFi Dongle or will this not work ????????

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Dave

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks Dave, yeah I think they'll be ok behind plastic :wink

What about the USB 2 into 1 ???

I do it all the time with Laptops, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work ok ???

Cheers Dave

Registered
Hi Dave,

I'm installing an Erisin HU in my 2004 S-430 and have two questions:

1.) How and where did you exactly connect into the CANBUS system so the steering wheel controls function?
2.) How did you use the Blue/Black-stripe "MOST Wake-up" wire in your Mercedes with your install?

Thanks,
Russ

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

There is a sister thread of mine to this one in "Audio and Telematics" Forum on benzworld :wink

My car is a project car, and as such progress is slow atm, and I don't intend to actually install my system until it comes back from the Paintwork due to all the dust etc created by that :wink

I have however done some test fitting / trialling and a load of research.

To answer your Q's :-

My Car does not have BOSE / Harmon Kardon, so all Speaker and CAN Bus connections are on the COMAND Multi Plug behind the COMAND Head Unit :wink ............... Easy :wink

The reason a lot of guys can't get the Steering Wheel and Dash Messages to work is not the CAN Connection, but the Configuration of the Menu's on the ERISIN HU.
It varies from Car to Car, different protocols etc, trial and error really.

The shortest route for CAN Connection, if it is not at the HU Plug like mine, will be the CAN Bridge above the Right Footwell, just about 12" to the right of the HU :wink

My Car is D2B F/O so I have no idea about MOST, but again, my Car does not have Amplifier so does not use the Wake Up Wire, the CAN Bus wakes the HU upon Ignition Key in ACC position, now i would have thought, (but not certain), that MB would use the CAN to wake up the Factory Amp ???????????

HTH,

Cheers Dave

W221 & Audio Moderator
Dave, (especially because you are so helpful here and elsewhere) I am sorry you could not get the info on Audio & Telematics. I read all the posts, but tend not to answer answer when I have nothing to say. And on your post, I'm afraid that's the case - I did not know the answer. Apparently, no one else who may have seen your post knew either.

Audio & Telematics is better dealing with installation specifics of standard MB equipment more than 3rd party; any questions are welcome, but that's just my observation. Perhaps that reflects my own knowledge (and shortcomings, in 3rd party stuff). Several sub-forums (R/C107 comes to mind) have excellent audio threads dealing with the specific cars. The W220 forum has the antenna expert - Richard (Ex-Fed).

There have been several questions related to Erisin units lately; if you get to the bottom of it, and especially if you do one of your superb how-tos, we'd love to cross-reference it in Audio & Telematics!

Outstanding Contributor
For the amp use this.
The Can is at the back of the comand HU and has adapter plugs for the decoder box that should have come with the HU, see pic for the CAN related parts in the red circles.

Attachments

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dean,

/\ /\ /\ +1

Yeah, mine just has 12 connected to A0, does not use A1, A2 or A3 :wink

9 "Rev Cam" Connected to TPMS Trigger, but not needed for Reverse Cam Only as Car Signals H/U it is in Reverse via CAN, Reverse Cam Video runs through TPMS Module, which switches off TPMS Screen when it detects Reverse Video :wink

13 Not Connected

Cheers Dave

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dave, (especially because you are so helpful here and elsewhere) I am sorry you could not get the info on Audio & Telematics. I read all the posts, but tend not to answer answer when I have nothing to say. And on your post, I'm afraid that's the case - I did not know the answer. Apparently, no one else who may have seen your post knew either.

Audio & Telematics is better dealing with installation specifics of standard MB equipment more than 3rd party; any questions are welcome, but that's just my observation. Perhaps that reflects my own knowledge (and shortcomings, in 3rd party stuff). Several sub-forums (R/C107 comes to mind) have excellent audio threads dealing with the specific cars. The W220 forum has the antenna expert - Richard (Ex-Fed).

There have been several questions related to Erisin units lately; if you get to the bottom of it, and especially if you do one of your superb how-tos, we'd love to cross-reference it in Audio & Telematics!
Hi Warren,

Thanks for that, but it really is no problem, (not trying to sound big headed), but I get it a bit when I ask a question :laugh

Due to the very nature of what I do for a living, (99% of my workload is recommendations from local Garages), I usually have the questions that very few have come across, or can answer :wink

I have a Range Rover "long stay patient", with an ABS fault that is disabling the whole Car atm, and I was convinced it was the ABS ECU, sent it to BBA, who returned it "No Fault Found".
2 weeks now, an hour or 2 here and there in between other jobs, and I have finally proved beyond all reasonable doubt it is the ABS ECU.............
So have had a very long conversation with BBA UK's Manager today, and sent it back, after they finally admitted they didn't think to test it "Cold" DOHHHHHHHHHH :frown

Anyway I have test fitted the Erisin and given it a quick test using Media Card with Music Files, and although I've not even touched the Equaliser Menu yet, it still sounds better than the Stock COMAND :wink

I'm pretty well certain the FM AM and Nav will work fine from the MB Window and Shark Fin Antennas.
Reasonably sure the DAB Radio will work from the Rear Window DAB Antenna, not so sure where it feeds from, may have to drop headliner to find out, poss have to connect up there.

Educated guesswork and previous experience with DVB TV suggests that that should work spliced to the FM Antenna, with the caveat that DVB may not like an Amplified Signal :dunno: Maybe if that's the case a simple "Attenuator" will solve that :dunno:

I will however be moving heaven and earth to use all the Antenna System in the Car, unless it absolutely doesn't work :wink

I'm not going to leave the H/U fitted permanently yet as the Car is going for a complete Re Spray soon, and I've had previous experience of how much dust a paint shop gets everywhere :rolleyes:, I don't want my new system polluted full of dust before it's even been used :wink

Will probably take the Car for paint with no Centre Console and an old "half stripped" Front Seat in it, that way I can be fitting out the Seats with the Headrest DVD Monitors and Wiring, and customise the Phone Install in Centre Console, while the Car is away for Paint :wink

So, when I do final fit it all, including stripping the Front Seats and Fabricating decent Headrest Poles, hiding all the wires for the DVD Headrests, the TPMS, the Internet Dongle, Phone Solution, DAB, DVB TV, Front and Rear Cameras, the Antenna's etc etc etc I will do a pictorial write up on it all which would be great to see in "Audio / Telematics :smile

Now the "trouble" is this.................

My new Workshop / Business is now booked up 3 weeks in advance already, so it won't be any time soon, in fact I'm seriously considering just paying some extra to my mate who owns the Paint Shop and letting them finish all the preparation work on the lower Doors & Rear Wheelarch areas,, that way I get my Car back Painted sooner :wink ....................
Trouble is, will they be as thorough as I would in the prep ???????????

:dunno:

Decisions, decisions :frown

Cheers for now,

Dave

Registered
2004 S430 has different connectors!

For the amp use this.
The Can is at the back of the comand HU and has adapter plugs for the decoder box that should have come with the HU, see pic for the CAN related parts in the red circles.
My 2004 S430 has one large connector going into the COMAND back. (See images below!) Inside the large connector, there are two smaller connectors: one with two fiber optic cables; the other with three copper wires. The small fiber optic connector connects perfectly with the Fiber-Optic Decoder Box BS001 that I purchased with my Erisin HU. From everything included with the Erisin HU, I have not found ANYTHING that would plug directly into the smaller 3-wire connector.

I made an adaptor connector to connect with small spade connectors to the Erisin ISO connector for power. Audio works GREAT with the Fiber Optic Decoder Box. I've been able to connect the GPS and FM antennas in the trunk so they work well.

The only thing I have yet to figure out is how and where to connect to the CanBus system!

I saw a couple of posts suggesting there is a connection point either under the carpet in front of the left side of the driver's seat, or somewhere above the parking brake. Which is it?

I saw another post connecting to the CanBus Brown & Brown/Red twisted pair going to the Climate Control System just below the COMAND. There was no follow-up as to whether it worked, however, I temporarily connected there with no positive result. Maybe I connected things incorrectly?

My latest encounter suggested I purchase the 6-meter by-pass cable and everything "SHOULD" connect up easily in the trunk. I just don't connect the speaker wires so the Bose system will work with fiber optic for audio. But I don't see ANY CanBus connector in the trunk!

I have no problem splicing into wires; but where and which ones? And it's hard for me to believe that I'm the only person encountering this issue with a 13-year-old car.

Does ANYBODY have ANY clue as to where and HOW I can connect my Erisin Android HU into the CanBus system so the steering wheel controls (among other things) function?

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

Registered
Spaghetti for Dinner!

https://w220.ee/Components#X30.2F5_.28Left_voltage_distributor_.28CAN.29_connector.29

The CAN for your system is run through the Audio Gateway and so you will need to connect to the X30/5 CAN. You may be able to use the X30/6 under the dash, not sure of this though.
Thank you for pointing to some areas of my car to look into; those are nice colorful pictures! But I don't understand how that answers my basic question: "but where and which ones?"

What am I missing???

Outstanding Contributor
CAN is a network system if you patch into the X30/5 you will be connected to the same distributor as the audio gateway. The signals from the steering wheel controls go through this distributor to the audio gateway, so you should have no trouble by connecting to it. You don't need to connect to a particular pair of wires either just use an empty slot in the distributor. The important part is to connect the correct way, CAN-H to CAN-H and CAN-L to CAN-L.

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

And once you get it connected properly you will have to figure out the H/U CAN Setting Menu for setting the correct CAN Protocol, (for want of a better description).

There is no point me telling you how I set mine, because my car is pre facelift and does not have AGW.

What I can tell you is that if you configure it wrong, things like the "Call Answer / Hang Up Buttons" on Strg Wheel don't work, Dash Cluster Track / Radio Info doesn't work and it may skip tracks when you are using other Steering Wheel Menus.

When you get it right it all works sweet :wink

I have not managed to get the Nav Directions on the Dash, don't think it will ever do that but that's no biggie :wink

In fact I played around with that many settings I cannot even remember now, what is set to what, :rolleyes:

Someone should really write a how to instruction Manual for these units, the after sales info is Rubbish, but the Units just look so good.............

BTW, did you know that you can Load Up the MB Star Logo, or ////AMG Logo on the SD Card, and get it to show on the "Boot" Screen :grin

HTH,

Cheers Dave

W220 Moderator
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

When I do my "Final Install" I will cover all this in a detailed, pictorial write up :wink

My system is having every conceivable Extra, Phone Cradle, TPMS, Dash and Rev Cams, Internet, DVB TV and DAB Radio, plus DVD / Monitor Headrests on the Front Seats :devil

Will be a while yet, but it will get done, all parts are here :wink

Cheers Dave

Registered
China Erisin Install

I've got my Erisin head unit to work as intended, as far as I can tell! I am attaching a PDF with my install procedures, so anyone who has a different perspective is welcome to suggest alterations to it.

The only thing that I have yet to get working is information in the instrument cluster. But the steering wheel controls and backup camera work flawlessly!

Also, I've heard there's a way to upgrade the operating system to be able to customize many of the features that typically are available on Android systems. I will be looking into this, so if anyone has carnal knowledge of this process, please feel free to chime in!

Thank you, EVERYONE, who added their input to make this happen! Erisin Instructions leave much to be desired, so at some point, I may share this with them.

Best,
Russ

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
reward52
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing