Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried an aftermarket brake pad on their W203 C-Class car and what was your experience with them? Does the pad wear sensor work? How much dust do they produce? Are they quiet? Do they stop as well as the factory pads?<br> <br> This has been difficult because there are few choices that I found like EBC Green Stuff, Pagid and Mintex. Some companies like Porterfield and Axxis don't make anything for the new C. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the Pagids work with the wear sensors?

Buellwinkle, is this an upgrade you plan to do yourself? If so please let us know how it goes, I plan to do mine when the time comes and I too would like something that makes less dust. We've got 12k on the C now, and from what I've heard the darn pads may need replacing as soon as the B service.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure but the sensors are for the front only. I know EBC works with them but...

I've replaced my rotors twice now thinking it had nothing to do with the pads.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Do the Pagids work with the wear sensors?

My car as only 3K miles as I've only had it 4 months. I get free car washes whenever I want from the dealer so I't not a priority. I will definitely do it when the time comes or a little sooner. The MB pads last about 15k miles for me and I drive mostly freeway. My 98 Mustang with 36k miles has the original factory pads/rotor so it's definitely a MB issue. <br> <br> I've heard only bad things about Mintex, I've heard mostly good about Pagid and EBC. These companies make different blend pads so it's hard to get good opinion because you don't know which one they are using. For example the EBC Greenstuff is a soft compound that last about the same as the factory pads but little dust, rotor friendly, no squeal and great grip which suits street cars. The EBC Red Stuff has a hard metallic compound that lasts long, may eat rotors, may squeal and has good grip once it heats up which suits racing. I can see why someone would complain about aspects of each of those pads because they used them for the wrong application or didn't know the trade offs between them.<br> <br> The Porterfields have the least complaints and most praise in every aspect but are not being made for the C-Class so it's a dead issue. I offered my car to the factory here in Cost Mesa for testing but they declined. <br> <br> This is all from what I've heard. I haven't tried anything yet. In my past 3 MBs I've always used dust shields that worked great but the new wheels reveal too much and dust shields wouldn't look right.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you contact MyRoadster.net. He has succesfully made applications..

available for different MB models from Porterfield.<br> <br> I have used EBC Green stuff, Metalmasters, Pagid and Porterfield switching every pad change. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be but in my experience, Porterfield works best, Pagid second, Metalmasters then EBC last.<br> <br> This with new rotors every change and proper bedding procedure applied in the first couple of miles.<br> <br> Here's what I have discovered:<br> <br> EBC - warped both front rotors on both my CLK and E class, squeal is minimal but is noticeable. Dust exists but is more of a greyish/white color therefore doesn't look that dirty.<br> <br> Metalmasters - Tremendous squeal, dust is minimal but is still leaves a small amount of black residue.<br> <br> Pagids - No squeal, minimal black dust, doesn't last very long but works great<br> <br> Porterfield - No squeal, almost dust-free, lasts almost the same as OEM pads, great stopping ability.<br> <br> 50/50 city/highway driving.<br> No track events.<br> <br> Frank

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried Jerry at MyRoadster.net but the C-Class is not worthy of Porterfields yet.

There is one person out there with a test set but Jerry said no time soon. So it may be a set or two of the Pagids before Porterfield realizes that there are many more C-Class cars out there than other MBs. Which EBC pads have you tried (red/green/yellow)? Also which Pagid pads did you use that you were happy with?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Do the Pagids work with the wear sensors?

Porterfields (W203) possibly available middle of 2002......<br> According to Porterfield Customer Service.<br>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts