Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through careless handling of the seat belt buckle, I have picked up a number of small chips to the leather surface on the side bolster. I finally got around to treating them and thought others might like to know how I sorted the damage.

I purchased a tin of good old fashioned shoe polish. The make is 'KIWI', made and sold across Europe so the tin suggested, and the colour was 'Bordeux Burgundy'.

I simply dabbed a little of the polish into the scuffs and chips with a cloth spread over a finger tip and that was it. In order to maintain the matt sheen of the original leather, I did not attempt to polish the whole area at all. The colour match is spot-on and it took so little time or effort. Not sure is other polishes might suit other leather colours, but I don't see why not.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Wow, thanks for the tip! I have a similar issue which I thought might have been due to getting in and out. I'd be interested to know what you mean by careless handling!

Also, does the polish rub off (on clothes) or does it stay on once it's dry?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good leather protector for the seats?

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
jono_m - 4/7/2005 5:59 PM

Finally, can anyone recommend a good leather protector for the seats?
Zaino

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-10&Category_Code=Zaino

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By careless handling, I mean that without placing the seat belt buckle against the side bolster of the seat as you get out of the car, it gets trapped against the door as it closes. If it lies at 90 degress to the door and seat, it can chip the surface of the leather as the door slams. As far as rubbing off, it is unlikely because the polish soaks into the leather as it dries, and in any case, my chips lie on the side of the seat bolster. That siad, it is best to give enough time for the polish to dry out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts