Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled baby out of a 4 month storage sleep. Charged the battery, and she fired up on the 1st turn of the key. I am going to change the oil shortly, and was going to dump some Dura-Lube in her block. The stuff did save me once when I somehow cut an oil line on my Harley. Drove it to the shop, not knowing that I had ALREADY lost all my oil. Engine was fine, and the shop was even suprised that the sump was empty. They said it was the 1st time an engine drove in empty of oil, and did not need some type of rebuild.
Anyway, the product states it is good for diesels, but how about in my 20+ year old machine. My car has 49000 original miles and I change the oil every 3000 miles max.
Thanks,
Lancer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hey Lancer, what's up? [:p] Enjoying your car again?

I just happened to read a just-delivered Performance Products catalog (free), and on it were Lubro Moly products like Diesel Hi Test, etc... maybe you could try them instead of other products for your (our[:D]) car--just to be safe.

By the way, that's how my car would look like (save for the rims!) if I black out the grille! I like, I like! [:p]

Oh, and if you drove to the shop that was near your house, chances are it hasn't warmed up yet. It would be scary if it reached operating temps but still no rebuild. Gotta love these iron-cast engines!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
lancer - 3/20/2005 6:31 PM

Just pulled baby out of a 4 month storage sleep. Charged the battery, and she fired up on the 1st turn of the key. I am going to change the oil shortly, and was going to dump some Dura-Lube in her block. The stuff did save me once when I somehow cut an oil line on my Harley. Drove it to the shop, not knowing that I had ALREADY lost all my oil. Engine was fine, and the shop was even suprised that the sump was empty. They said it was the 1st time an engine drove in empty of oil, and did not need some type of rebuild.
Anyway, the product states it is good for diesels, but how about in my 20+ year old machine. My car has 49000 original miles and I change the oil every 3000 miles max.
Thanks,
Lancer
49k ?? put it in a museum[:D]

doesn't dura lube have teflon in it? i wouldn't put that stuff into a perfectly good engine.
just keep on changing the oil. are you using dino?

looks like it's in great shape!

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDC; They make a Dura Lube for the engine as an oil treatment and a Dura Lube for the fuel system, which you are thinking of.

84300DTURBO; Thanks for the nice words. She is as close to mint as I have seen an 83. It has a few rock nicks, but everything else looks good and is original (except for tires,rims stereo and a few upgrades, headlights, etc), and even the air and cruise control work properly. I do use dino, I think its Castrol 10w50 that I change before 3000 miles. Not sure if the Dura Lube has teflon in it or not. Is teflon bad for our old iron?

Karugs; Good to hear from you. So are you going to paint the grill? And I cut the oil line on my Harley, not the Benz. I was out on the road when something popped up and hit the line, cutting it. The engine was hot, and I was lucky. That was why I was asking if this stuff was good to put into our cars. Also, just ordered the same cataloge you did from Performance.
Now, I am going to have to get a grill badge to keep "our" cars looking the same [:D]. Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yes, I know you are referring to the oil treatment and I’m saying don’t use an oil treatment, it would be better to burn the oil treatment than put it in the crankcase, IMHO.

I have no scientific evidence to back up my statement except to say that the dura lube may have a compound or compounds that may damage the engine. As noted above, you’d be better off with frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have had some good points in the past, so, good enough for me!!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
lancer - 3/21/2005 7:58 PM

Karugs; Good to hear from you. So are you going to paint the grill? And I cut the oil line on my Harley, not the Benz. I was out on the road when something popped up and hit the line, cutting it. The engine was hot, and I was lucky. That was why I was asking if this stuff was good to put into our cars. Also, just ordered the same cataloge you did from Performance.
Now, I am going to have to get a grill badge to keep "our" cars looking the same [:D]. Take care of yourself.
I'm glad to hear it wasn't your Benz that ran out of oil with that low mileage!

Perhaps the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" should work here as well. I myself bought the diesel kit from Mercedes Source but haven't used the Diesel Hi Test yet, since my car seems to run great. I almost used a bottle of diesel additive, but again, Jdc warned me of the same thing you're about to do with Dura Lube.

It would be interesting to see how it would affect it though, but I'm not about to take that risk yet, even if I know it might lean towards the positive side. [:)]

What grille badge are you getting, if I may ask? I am already at 151K miles and nearing 152K pretty fast, so I look forward to the first mileage badge. Funny, when I cover the leftmost digit on the odometer (showing "51xxx" miles), we'll almost have the same mileage [:D]

Yes, I would like to paint my grille, but I have yet to plan it. Here are two pics, not sure which one I like to do for now:

Attachments

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Forget the DuraLube... waste of money. Marvel Mystery Oil is an excellent product. AMSOIL makes a good product also.

·
Registered
1983 300 D turbo
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jrehm, I read in this forum before someone was dumping that mystery oil in the fuel tank. An 8oz bottle into the tank prior to filling, but I do not remember why.

karugs, Since I am way far away from a mileage badge, I am thinking of a Koln badge (where my mom is from and her family lives) or maybe a Stuttegart badge, from the cars home town. Also, I really like the double chrome ribs on the picture you attached. I like the single, but the double changes the look and fills in the grill nicely, but not too overdone. Nice going, now you have given me another project [;)]. Lancer

A

·
0 Posts
well, while everyones discussing oil additives (extremely bad idea), and fuel additives and oils, i will say that if u want the best products money can buy, for all additive and lubrication needs, u need to stop wasting money and check out amsoil. its simply the best. even the us patent office seems to agree, we are "The First in Synthetics", in quality, and historically, since the first synthetic oil in the US was invented by amsoil over 35 years ago. with 25,000 mile extended drain intervals in gas engines already then in 1972. anything else is simply a waste of money. take this as u want, be mad, deny it, complain, whatever, but denial and ignorance simply cannot change the laws of physics.

-JMD

A

·
0 Posts
oh yeah, i change my Series 3000 5w-30 100% Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil as reccommended, at 12,500 mile intervals, with one filter change at 7500 miles. she runs like a beast, and is twice as protected as ANY other petroleum or fake synthetic 40 weight can give you.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
AMSOIL300CDT - 3/24/2005 12:05 AM

well, while everyones discussing oil additives (extremely bad idea), and fuel additives and oils, i will say that if u want the best products money can buy, for all additive and lubrication needs, u need to stop wasting money and check out amsoil. its simply the best. even the us patent office seems to agree, we are "The First in Synthetics", in quality, and historically, since the first synthetic oil in the US was invented by amsoil over 35 years ago. with 25,000 mile extended drain intervals in gas engines already then in 1972. anything else is simply a waste of money. take this as u want, be mad, deny it, complain, whatever, but denial and ignorance simply cannot change the laws of physics.

-JMD
I have heard nothing but good things about amsoil. It is supposedly the best and I wouldn't question that. I know you get what you pay for and the best products usually have the highest pricetags. What does a gallon of amsoil usually go for?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
BusyBenz - 3/25/2005 10:09 PM

Amsoil is good synthetic oil. Also too is Mobile 1.

I run M-1 in the 603 engine and change at 5K. Tranny has Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid. Rear diff has M-1 syn diff oil, and no, I don't wear polyester![:D]
Mobil 1 may be good oil, but Mobil is an Exxon corp and Exxon is evil. Please don't support them.

A

·
0 Posts
yes, i would have to agree, Exxon/Esso/Mobil corp is evil. for one example their millions of dollars a year scam with their mobil 1. its only 60 percent synthetic base oils, the other 40 is straight cheap motor oil. this enables them to maximize profits at the cost of wear and tear. the API allows it too, their currently law says u have to make only 60 percent to be called "full Synthetic" on the bottle, and of course no major oil company at this time makes anything "stronger" than 60 percent, to make anything better would reduce their profit margin. its amazing the government allows this, but they are "friends" with the oil companies, so it'll go on. as far as amsoil goes, a quart of Heavy Duty Diesel goes for 8.70, quart of their 35,000 mile gas engine oil is also 8.70, while ATF is 8.00,(90,000 drain and filter change interval in benzs) and Severe Gear 90wt is 9.45. (its drain is 500,000 miles in differentials!!!!) u get it for considerably cheaper at wholesale price by becoming a preferred customer, costs a small fee per year, saves alot of money though. i myself only use amsoil, and will never pay money for a lesser product ever again. i believe in it that much, 'caus its the best.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
AMSOIL300CDT - 3/26/2005 10:12 AM

yes, i would have to agree, Exxon/Esso/Mobil corp is evil.
You would also have to agree that as an Amsoil MLMer you’re not going to give an objective opinion with regard to competitors’ products. All oil companies are evil.

This is the synthetic I’ll be using from the evil Liqui Moly GmbH:

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Liquimoly is an extremely good product. i have used it myself extensively in germany in BMW's, and Benz's. also in an 84 Audi GT Quattro. i was never aware that it was available in the US, iv never seen it in a store anywhere. would'v mentioned it otherwise probably. just out of curiousity, where do u find that here?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I don't say that Exxon is an evil corporation because of financial issues. Oil companies are in business to make money, their profits are governed by federal laws and aside from any shady dealings they may do they depend on how much crude oil is available to them. Exxon is an evil corporation because of environmental issues. They are a major polluter and don't care, nor do they make much attemp to clean up their pollution. They don't care about our planet, only the almighty dollar. There are two ways a company can make high profit; the first is to produce a quality good at a reasonable price while taking care of employees and the environment, therefore creating a large customer base, the other is to disreagard customers, employees, and environmental wellbeing, therefore maximizing profit by minimizing spending. The second is Exxon's corporate philosophy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts