Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I recently bought 2000 E430 (this is my first MB), however I have a slight problem. I pin-pointed it to the duovalve ticking. The problem is that it ticks when the car is turned off and the key is taken out.

When I start the car I can't hear it - when I turn it off the ticking starts, once every 5 to 7 seconds. Usually it ticks for 20 minutes sometimes longer. It gets pretty hot and I am afraid it will kill the battery or burn out.

I don't think that this is normal. I have read the posts but found none with my particular problem.

I have also ran a diagnostic:
1 14
2 12
3 22
4 21
5 04
6 26
7 05
8 15

Errors:
Eb1 234
Eff

It appears that the error has to do with the sun sensor, however the heating seems to work fine (I can't really test the air conditioning because I am in Canada and it's been -5°C lately). But I don't think that has anything to do with the duovalve that seems to be over working.

I thought about taking the duovalve apart and cleaning it, but I am not sure if the refrigerant will escape and whether I will need to refill it.

If you guys could help me out I would be grateful.

Once again the ticking persists 20 to 30 minutes (sometimes longer) after the car is turned off and the key is taken out and all doors are closed.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
To help clarify your understanding, the duo valve functions on the heating cycle by allowing the appropriate amount of hot coolant to flow to both sides of the heating system.

If you have a bad duo valve during the cooling cycle you would see the higher temps when you take the AC actual values, like you did above.

During cooling you want the valves closed, low values, to prevent hot coolant from entering the system, making it more difficult to cool.

By chance have you pushed the recirc button. If you did coolant would continue(pumped) to flow for a short period of time after you turned the car off. The clicking is the duo valve trying to maintain the cabin temp as that feature is designed to do. Check your owners manual!!

Turn off the feature and the valve should not click after you shut down.

Stay warm------we are have a cold spell in Florida, down to 22C!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Plutoe, I didn't realize that that was a feature. However, I did make sure that the air recirculation was off - I am going to do a bit more testing on the car next weekend since I am not using it yet.

Next time I will completely turn off the automatic climate control and see how long it will take for the ticking to stop. Will keep you updated.

P.S. sounds like a really cold winter to me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey guys, unfortunately I was unable to fix the problem.
I have clicked every button on the Automatic Climate Control, I have even turned off the fans completely so all I see is "OFF OFF" yet still there is no change. When the car is shut off the valve ticks for about 20 min before shutting off - also it seems like the timer does not start until every door is properly closed.

I have also replaced the battery in the car (unrelated reason) hoping that the system settings would reset - yet no luck.

When sitting in the car when it is shut off I could hear the click (from the middle of the dashboard) followed by what sounds like some kind of a pump/device revving up, 4-5 seconds later another click and it is shut off, then immediately another click and it revs up again and again...for about 20min after all doors are closed and engine is turned off.

How normal is this...?
Or would there be any way to reset the system.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I have no idea what my readings would be when it is cold, however it seems most of your readings would be higher if the car was proposerly warmed up like (06) which is coolant temp if I am not mistaken.

Have no idea what your other sysmptoms are other than constant EC light and this "ticking".

FYI your refridgerant pressure (07) is very low, and not being a cold person I have no idea if this is low due to the cold car or whether honestly it is low because of low refridgerant. Often the the EC light oftens stays on stays on in that low pressure situation.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
If this clicking is in the middle of the dash, you needd to open the engine compartment and see if it is coming from the duo valve around the passenger side inner fender well, or coming from stuck flaps in the dash.

Personally, I am leaning that you might have a flap problem and not a duo valve problem.

Do a search on the forum on the other uses of the climate control diagnostic, run when car is at full operating temperature, and run flap test would be my advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the replies.

I will do another diognostic after a nice long test drive and post the results.

The duovalve is ticking because when I open the hood and put my hand on it I can feel the vibration of the ticking - the valve also gets pretty hot after a while (even when the car is off and engine is cold).

Will update soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Witek_M, the description matches my symptoms exactly. The button seems to be "stuck" internally because no matter how many times I press it there is no change. (I push it once the light turns on I push it again it turns off but no change with regards to the ticking.)

Will do more testing.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,767 Posts
Witek_M, the description matches my symptoms exactly. The button seems to be "stuck" internally because no matter how many times I press it there is no change. (I push it once the light turns on I push it again it turns off but no change with regards to the ticking.)

Will do more testing.
Does REST feature work as described? Panel lights up with previous settings, air flaps move (PSE pump may come on to pump up vacuum), blower starts on minimum speed.

Meantime you need to take measures to maintain your battery.

Do you have volt meter and test light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Witek_M.
Sorry for my previous description, let me elaborate. When the car is turned on the REST button does not work, when the car is off, I press REST - the button lights up, the panel lights up, previous temperature is shown, and I can hear the blower (because the blower is a bit loud I can't say if the ticking is still active or not).

As soon as I turn off the REST, I can hear the ticking again.

Yes I have a volt meter, where and when should I measure?

P.S. Also the sound is comming from the very center of the dashbord (the Automatic Climate Control) (it is not exceptionally loud), inside the car I can hear something powering up or revving up after the 1st tick, and stop after the 2nd tick, then start on the next tick. (I will try to get a sound recording).

I can only hear the ticking outside from the duovalve (and can feel it when I put my hand on it).

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,767 Posts
Thanks for the reply Witek_M.
Sorry for my previous description, let me elaborate. When the car is turned on the REST button does not work, when the car is off, I press REST - the button lights up, the panel lights up, previous temperature is shown, and I can hear the blower (because the blower is a bit loud I can't say if the ticking is still active or not).

As soon as I turn off the REST, I can hear the ticking again.

Yes I have a volt meter, where and when should I measure?

P.S. Also the sound is comming from the very center of the dashbord (the Automatic Climate Control) (it is not exceptionally loud), inside the car I can hear something powering up or revving up after the 1st tick, and stop after the 2nd tick, then start on the next tick. (I will try to get a sound recording).

I can only hear the ticking outside from the duovalve (and can feel it when I put my hand on it).
Another thing you may hear power up is blower for in car temp. sensor.

Check fuse F1f7. Make sure is has power with key on and goes dead with key off. Left front e-box is prone to water entry. Check cover make sure it's not cracked.

At duo valve check voltage in center pin red/black wire. Power with key on or REST, no power with key off, REST off.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Witek_M I will check the voltages, but in the mean time...
The fuse box is in perfect condition and with snow storm up here it is dry and uncracked.

I have recoded the clicking sound
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

(This is from inside the car and recoder pointed at the center of the dash.)

You need to turn up the volume to hear the revving up, but the ticking is pretty clear.

The engine was off, key taken out for about 3 hours now, and the ticking is still going, the duovalve is pretty hot everything else is cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quite a coincidence, just noticed I have the same problem on my 96 E320. I found out I can stop both the duovalve ticking and the recirculation pump noise by either removing fuse 4 or disconnecting the battery. This works only temporarily, maybe 2 restarts or two days and the problem comes back. In my mind the climate control module is the culprit but, I think I'll go with the quick/cheap fix of installing a cutoff relay in the constant power line from fuse 4. I'll let you know how it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts