Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of 235/45-17 to replace my Pilot Sport on my E430. Since I live in Europe, I can nog get the Firestone tires that you recommend, but I have also seen that you recommend Dunlop Sport 9000.

I got a good deal on the Dunlop Sport 9090. What is the difference between 9000 and 9090? My highest priority is a comfortable and quite ride, as well as long thread life.

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
the 9090 is a european version of the 9000 and has some minor internal construction diff...

the 9090 is a european version of the 9000 and has some minor internal construction differences as requested by BMW .... as far as performance and ride quality they are very similar

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Luke!

In practice, what differences would I experience if I went f...

Thanks for the info, Luke!

In practice, what differences would I experience if I went for a tire that is not rated as "Max performance" (e.g. the Pirelli P6000 or Michelin Primacy). Since tires from different categories are never tested against eachother it is difficult to know what the trade-off is in terms of performance, and how much you gain (if anything)in comfort and thread life.

·
1,386 Posts
max performance = the best performance
ultra high = less performance more tread life
G...

max performance = the best performance
ultra high = less performance more tread life
Grand touring = less performance better ride quality

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this I could sor tof figure out myself, but does this mean that you will alwas get bet...

OK, this I could sort of figure out myself, but does this mean that you will alwas get better comfort with a lower rated tire. Who makes this rating? In normal everyday driving, what difference would you experience between a touring tire and a max performance tire?

In the latest copy of Auto Motor & Sport, the Michelin Primacy (245/45-17 on an E500) won a test against 5 "max performance" tires (among those, Dunlop S03, Dunlop SP 9000 and Pirelli). Nothing was mentioned however that the Priamcy is a tire from a different performance category.

·
1,386 Posts
I guess it depends on what they were testing and how the best was conducted .....

I guess it depends on what they were testing and how the best was conducted .....

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had 4 x 235/45-17 Dunlop SP9090 mounted on my E430 last week. I´m a little disapointed. Th...

Had 4 x 235/45-17 Dunlop SP9090 mounted on my E430 last week. I´m a little disapointed. This tire (or actually SP9000 which, according to above message by Luke, should be an almost identical tire) got good ratings for comfort and wet conditions, but did not quite match thde best tires for dry conditions.

I thought I would not notice any difference in grip on dry roads as long as I was not racing on a track (which I never do), and therefore I prioritized comfort when choing new tires, but I could straight away tell that these tires lacks the grip of my previous Minchelin Pilot Sports. When going fast in a roundabout, the tires squeal and the car understears like it never did with the Michelins. When doing a panic-stop, the tires makes more noise, and ABS comes active earlier. The Dunlops also does not quite mach up to the steering responsivness and high speed stability of the Michelins.

On the possitive side, the Dunlops are a little more quite than the Michelins, but to me its a bit strange how these Dulops are rated "Max Peroformance" when there are other tires that clearly have better performance.

·
Registered
ML55, E320
550 Posts
I have 9000s on my ML55

And they still have some tread left at 28,000 miles!

I love the handling wet and dry. There are other tires that might be slightly better on dry roads, but I bet they don't last 30,000 miles.

My brother is putting a new set of tires on his Porsche Turbo at 6000 miles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts