Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 G500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's it. The 2002 goes back to the dealer this weekend. I worked out a deal with them to terminate the lease and get into a 2005. Too many problems with the 2002:

- multiple door sensor failures
- multiple window regulator failures
- multiple door lock/latch failures
- multiple rattles repaired
- steering damper replaced
- TC module replaced

And this week, another door lock and sensor failed. We were getting used to driving the truck with the red screen on permanently and the damn beeping, that damn beeping....

I assume the 2005 will not have all these problems. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
....for all of the probs you mentioned I'm shocked that your list did not include anything related to the ESP. I had all of your problems (minus the window stuff) but an extra dose of ESP problems.

Just out of curiosity....would you be willing to share the details of the "deal" they worked for you? That was an avenue I explored but took an extended warranty and two months car pmts in lieu (after they resolved my problems). The "trade assist" that I was offered as an alternative was lousy....about 1k off of sticker but hosing me on the trade-in value.

Good luck with your 05!!!! You're much safer now that you have the side curtain airbags. (just kidding, bad topic in this forum lately)[:D]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
gwag02, your bad!

sszakats,

regarding the steering damper you may have gotten a bad one, but that's something that does need periodic replacement. 35k miles has been regarded by long time owners as a longe service life.

regarding the rattles... i don't know. you've got a new headliner in the 05 so maybe less... and maybe they found some wires and things here and there to put some extra insulation on, but otherwise i don't see why you'd get a change. Putting 16" rims on you truck will probably reduce rattles more than anything else. I've switched rims with a fellow who has 16's and we both noted a change in noise/rattle levels going from 18's to 16's or 16's to 18's.

·
Registered
2002 G500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did have ESP problems early on but they were resolved.

The steering damper was replaced at 15k, I don't think we wore it out.

The dealer took the 2002 and the remaining 8 lease payments. He leased me the 2005 for $30 more per month, 39 months. I have a new 3 year warranty now. I probably would have kept the 2002 in exchange for an extended warranty, but I like this deal better since I am counting on the truck not spending as much time in the shop.

·
Registered
2002 G500
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, with regards to the rattles I mentioned, they were all related to interior items, not the chassis. Squeaks, door panel noises etc.

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
that is a great deal, I didn't realize it was a lease exchange. As an owner that obviously wasn't an option they were offering me.

when do you take delivery? nothing like a new toy, especially a G.

be sure to let us know what differences if any you observe after your first year or so...

congrats again! [:)]

Ewalberg, I couldn't resist[:eek:)] ...and I certainly say so in good faith. I always enjoy your two cents

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
i dont know if you know this, but you can get SAT radio on the 05 and it is covered under warranty if you get it at delivery it is awesome. Infact i am having it installed in our other two cars ASAP.

Also, you dont have free maintainace....but the dealer is supposed to offer you a free check up btwn 1000-3000 miles.

Congratulations on your new G[:)]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
gwag02, yeah, it's always good to hear people enjoy my two cents... at least for a laugh at an eccentric if nothing else. The trouble i have is that i get carried away and dump out my whole change drawer. Fortunately the folks here seem smart enough to filter the occasional quarter from the amuzement park tokens.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
I should have leased, maybe i too could have worked something out with mb... as it stands not $10,950 in warranty clams and climbing :)

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
On the subject of Lemon's, and ESP, this 2004 just came up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31854&item=4534361049&rd=1

·
Registered
07 GL450 PE, 06 SLK55
341 Posts
you will be paying for service A, B , C etc...dont quote me but i think the minor services run btwn $250-$350 and the major service (B) runs $450-$500.

MBUSA....promised a no price increase in 05 and decided to drop free maintainance.....however, feb1 05' they had a thousand dollar price increase on most models. I placed my order before feb1...hence i had a sticker of $78K while the same car has a sticker of $79K now. MBUSA sucks.

My mini has free maintainance and my G dosent[:(!]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
TheDogsCar - 3/10/2005 1:49 PM

On the subject of Lemon's, and ESP, this 2004 just came up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31854&item=4534361049&rd=1
The demons from the E55AMG must have crawled out the engine compartment of the AMG models and crawled into this G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts