Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, not about either you or me, Jim.

Coming home this evening the tire pressure sensor in my pickup reported a low pressure in my left rear tire.... I wasn't close to home, so I stopped for a visual and it didn't appear low and I drove on.

Keep in mind that within the last couple of weeks I had adjusted the air pressure in all of our vehicles.

Recommended tire pressure is 35psi and when I got home, I put the tire gauge on it... 48psi :eek: Checked the rest of the tires, getting 48-52 psi on all of them. Hmmm.... So I get a different gauge and get the same readings. So I check the pressure on an SL.. 35psi. I proceeded to set the air in all the tires to the correct pressure. I'm guessing the sensors just measure the variance between the lowest and highest tires as it now shows "OK".

To make a long story even longer, though I work on and service my SLs, I take my truck to the local service station for its oil changes, which, after I thought a couple of minutes, I did Friday afternoon.

The dumbass there obviously over aired them....Why, I'll find out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

OMG... I'm going out now to check the oil level. :eek:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but what year is the truck and have you checked the door jamb and tires for pressure ranges? Many late model trucks and tires run pressures in the high forties.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but what year is the truck and have you checked the door jamb and tires for pressure ranges? Many late model trucks and tires run pressures in the high forties.
Have to go further than that to be a smartass on this forum Jeff. :D

Considering the huge difference in recommended tire pressures, that's one thing I usually check and my truck has 35psi all around listed on the door jamb.

Tomorrow I'll have to check the tire pressure in all of the company vehicles as that's where we have them serviced as well. :(

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,098 Posts
My VW Golf says 32 front and 41 rear on the sticker!!

I tried that for a bit. Ridiculous.

So I talked to a true VW guy and he said 34 all around.

What do I know.

But the last time I used an oil changer place was my Pilot in the middle of Feb.....I didn't feel like doing it myself that day.
The first thing the guy does is break his extension off in the diff plug (he was checking the level). He said he needed to order a new plug as the piece was stuck in the plug. What? Out of my way sonny. Hammer, drift...piece falls into my hand. That was my last visit there or anywhere for that matter.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
The old F...W.. factor again Nobby. Seems pretty prevalent these days. I keep adding to my "never go/never use" list all the time.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I measured my tire pressure yesterday and found the cooler weather had dropped them to 28 lbs. Next drive I'll add 3-5 lbs before I set out, then monitor some more.

·
29,098 Posts
I measured my tire pressure yesterday and found the cooler weather had dropped them to 28 lbs. Next drive I'll add 3-5 lbs before I set out, then monitor some more.
And what, pray tell, would be "cooler" weather for you....hmmmm?

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And what, pray tell, would be "cooler" weather for you....hmmmm?
I don't know, Nobby, with the high today in Key West forecast at only 79f, I can see that as being a real problem. :1poke:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have an accurate, but inexpensive tire gauge that IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL, will provide pressure in other units of measure than PSI (like bar, etc). Because of this, I once overfilled (briefly) a tire to 45 LBS that should have been 32. Perhaps this is what happened?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
Did you check the pressure cold this morning? If you drove it to work try checking before you leave if you haven't driven it.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you check the pressure cold this morning? If you drove it to work try checking before you leave if you haven't driven it.
OMG, only 20psi this morning... NOT!

They just screwed up Jim. The owner wasn't there today, so I'll talk with him tomorrow to make sure they don't have a gauge problem.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,863 Posts
My wife used to take her cars to a quick oil change place (that I won't name here). She came home one day saying her car felt "squirmy" and steered "funny." Her Town Car tire pressures ranged from 48 to 63, after less than a 2-mile trip. Never again.

Even after a trip to the dealership, where she now has her oil changes done, I check the pressures. They have been off from specs often, but nowhere like the example above.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,863 Posts
I don't know why, but I thought of Nobby when I saw this

Yesterday morning was opening day of bow and arrow season for deer. As I approached my deer stand, I decided to go home and mow the lawn....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
My silverado runs best on 40. I don't go off the door tag, I go off the tire. Max pressure (48#) minus about 20% (40#) seems to work best. A bit more if I'm hauling/towing something.
Lady blue runs pretty well in the 36-38 # range on the 16" Lorinsers, 32-35# on the 15" bundts.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shotgun season here starts Friday am.
I've got the antler hat all set for SWMBO's morning walks.:thumbsup:

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
You need to get her a nice tan warm up set to go with it.:thumbsup:

·
29,098 Posts

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,863 Posts
Good decision.:thumbsup:
Yeah, but he paused to take 3 pictures; more, I think, because in the original email, they weren't sequentially numbered - so not all the pics were posted.

Now, I would not have dallied that long...that bear's eyes do not look happy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts