Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 300E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering wheel was looking a little worn after 149,000 miles. There were a few places where the color was wearing off. A few months ago, I thought I should protect it from further wear by using a slip on steering wheel cover like you might cover a seat to protect it because I hope to keep the benz for another 10+ years. I took it off today while I was conditioning the leather inside the vehicle and it has totally destroyed the steering wheel. It is all cracked and rough. It looks like it has been left outside for 5 years in the sun.

I am bummed at my stupid mistake. Hopefully this post will keep someone else from making the same mistake.

[:(]

·
Registered
794 Posts
CA300E - 4/13/2006 4:33 AM

My steering wheel was looking a little worn after 149,000 miles. There were a few places where the color was wearing off. A few months ago, I thought I should protect it from further wear by using a slip on steering wheel cover like you might cover a seat to protect it because I hope to keep the benz for another 10+ years. I took it off today while I was conditioning the leather inside the vehicle and it has totally destroyed the steering wheel. It is all cracked and rough. It looks like it has been left outside for 5 years in the sun.

I am bummed at my stupid mistake. Hopefully this post will keep someone else from making the same mistake.

[:(]
What did you cover the steering wheel with?

Why don't you look at the link below?

These covers may just be the ticket for you.

http://www.performanceproducts4benz.com/productpage.aspx?pid=109130&name=Wheelskin+Leather+Cover

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
http://www.performanceproducts4benz.com/productpage.aspx?pid=109130&name=Wheelskin+Leather+Cover
A friend of mine has this product & it looks great!

·
Registered
93 300E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a leather cover but a slip on. It seems to have a rubber backing on the inside so I suspect the chemicals in the rubber caused a problem. It is shocking to look at all grey, cracked and stiff. It really looks abused. Maybe I will take some photos before covering it up.

I will have to get one of these laced covers. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1988 300E
36 Posts
I bought one of those from them and it looks and feels great. You just have to make sure you tighten that thread.[:D] It's a little hard to see but here's a pic of mine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
CA300E - 4/13/2006 11:38 AM

It was a leather cover but a slip on. It seems to have a rubber backing on the inside so I suspect the chemicals in the rubber caused a problem. It is shocking to look at all grey, cracked and stiff. It really looks abused. Maybe I will take some photos before covering it up.

I will have to get one of these laced covers. Thanks for the link.
Glad to be of help!!! And if you join the Mercedes Club of America you get 15% discount on everything you buy from Performance Products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts