Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's inside the lighter receptacle? Car is an '02 E320 wagon.

No, I don't smoke. And yes, the fuse is fine. But, our GPS won't work, and the lighter wouldn't heat up when I tried it instead.

Using a test lamp, I found 12V inside the receptacle (with the ignition on). But only at the head of a rivet in the center bottom of the lighter receptacle. The removable lighter won't make contact; neither will the GPS adaptor.

Is there something missing from the inside of the receptacle? Do I need a new receptacle, or just the (imagined?) thingie that's missing?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have found that my cell phone charger would not work in the cigarette lighter, but the lighter works. It's pretty shallow and I reasoned this to be the problem but that's just a guess. I have not tried any other chargers in the thing.

·
Registered
2001 e320 4matic wagon
54 Posts
We have a '98 and an '01 and neither lighter works, but both will work with cell phone chargers, but will sometimes require a twist or a jiggle to make contact.

Try moving the 12v recepticle in the back of the wagon to the front. Not looking at my car right now, so not sure if that's feasable, but just a thought.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Sounds like you need a new lighter socket, Hisport. The center rivet should have good continuity to the bi-metallic strip.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic Wagon
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas!

- Yes - I have to jiggle the GPS (and cell adaptor, etc) in our Audi to make it work. I think German cars have diff lighter receptacles; US adaptors don't work well. Same in my Porsche.

- No way anything will work in the E320, the way it is

- I tried the lighter in the rear seating (wagon) "12V Outlet". It does not fit (too big)

·
Registered
2000 E320
100 Posts
I had a problem with my lighter socket. My cell phone charger was the problem. I bought a new lighter socket from MB ane hav not opened it. You can have it for the $35 I paid for it. Send me email at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
99 E320 sold :-( Now a 2013 VW Passat (atleast it's German)
89 Posts
Same problem here with my radar detector. I have to twist and wiggle it to ensure proper contact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts