Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 S600, 2005 C230, 2000 Boxster S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you are all aware of the infamous dual pane windows in our cars. Recently, I parked the car on the street overnight and noticed that all of the windows were fogged in the morning, including the side ones. I was surprised because I thought the purpose of having dual paned windows was to prevent this. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
Sounds like you have a water leak of some sort getting into the car. Check under the mats for dampness. The dual pane glass is for sound control, safety and security. If moisture is present in the vehicle, it will condense on the glass. Let it air dry with windows cracked at the top and sunroof open.

·
Registered
1993 S600, 2005 C230, 2000 Boxster S
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check to see if there is any sport of water entering the cabin.

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Dual pane windows are NOT for defogging. As Benzdoc mentioned they are for sound deadening, safety, and also for thermal insulation by conduction.
RainX makes a product called FogX, which dramatically reduces moisture buildup on the inside of a car. I use it on the inside glass surfaces of my car, headlamps, and even on my camera lenses. ;) Each treatment can last up to 3 weeks, perhaps 4.

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
You will notice that your windows fog more in the winter time if you only do short runs in your car. The carpets will get wet from snow etc. without having a chance to ever dry out.

Regards,
Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts