Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great posts on here they really helped me decide how I wanted to customize my grill. I picked up a stock $30.00 grill off ebay; more importantly picked up a 01 CLK55 last week to go with it lol.

It may already be on here but couldn't find it but all I can say is seperating the chrome from the grill frame be very careful. Start from either bottom corner and begin prying very gently working your way to the center and up from each side.

You can see all the tab receptors throughout the grill here. Once seperated I then used a dremel tool and mothers cone with PlastiX polish to get the black up to a high shine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dual finish black grill 2

I then scuffed up the chrome portion of the grill using a 2000 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite pad and applied 4 coats of black plastidip. Here you can begin to see the difference in finish.

Some may think this to be foolish but I did this well because I am a designer and like to get "flow" through out an object in this case a car. The "flow" here is (will be) when windows are tinted they are a super shiny black and the black trim around the windows is more of a satin black finish...so in essence I will be framing the high gloss black in a satin finish just like the windows.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dual finish black grill 3

To assemble position the satin finish grill trim over the now high polish black frame making sure all tabs are aligned with their receptors. I began to apply pressure from center bottom and worked my way up and out from the center bottom. Here is the assembled piece. Ilet the paint work dry overnight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dual finish grill 4

and here it is back on the car. I have some tricks using super glue and baking soda for broken plastic I forgot to cover; this grill frame was broke in 4 places. Oh the grill also came with the hood star so spray plasti-dipped that also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
JaYcKY

went black out crazy then took some shots afterwards with my 5DMii and fisheye cars dirty been raining here and dust kicks up where its parked, i hate dust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts