Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to replace the electric fans I have in the car. The Flex-a-lite #210, dual 12" fans wasn't getting the job done on hot days and slow traffic.

I sent the custom radiator back to Ron Davis Racing and had them build me a custom shroud with dual 12" cooling fans by Spal, the only brand of cooling fans they use at the Ron Davis shop.

The usual fans/shroud/radiator set-up that Ron Davis sells is 7.5" deep, which would put the fans well into the serpentine belts on our cars. US muscle cars have a lot more room up front than ours. :(

They built me a special set-up using Spal's low profile fans to fit the space available.

The new fan/shroud and radiator are getting installed next week. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
Good luck Axel.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,793 Posts
Wow, that looks awesome Axel.
I guess the German in me popped up, and I would be interested to know how much air was moved by the dual stock set up, the flex a lite #210, and the numbers for your new custom setup?
I hope you were able to benefit from Satish Tummala's expertise re cooling.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that looks awesome Axel.
I guess the German in me popped up, and I would be interested to know how much air was moved by the dual stock set up, the flex a lite #210, and the numbers for your new custom setup?
I hope you were able to benefit from Satish Tummala's expertise re cooling.
Cheers

Hey Teutone,

I did a fair bit of research on electric cooling fans, but I quickly discovered that there are no agreed upon standards and the performance claims of the manufacturers are all over the place. :mad:

You'd see one fan the manufacturer claimed was moving 2,000 cfm (cubic feet per minute) while drawing only 10 amps, while another 2,000 cfm fan of a different brand would require 20 amps. That just doesn't add up.

I discussed the issue with the people at Ron Davis and realized it is not just the raw power of the fan (though that is of course very important....), but also how well the shroud fits and the how the air flows around the radiator.

My 12" Spal fans are each rated at 1,230 cfm at 0 static pressure, drawing 11.8 amps.

By comparison, Perma Cool has a 12" fan (PRM-19008) they claim moves 3,000 cfm while drawing only 7.5 amps. :rolleyes:

As I said, some things just don't add up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts