Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Carbs have me wondering just what to do. The wife has even suggested I part the car out! Car ran real crappy a year ago when I first started it. I guess it had not been run in a couple of years. Of course engine flush, oil change plugs wires and upgrade to Hot Spark electronic ignition and it seemed to run OK. I drove it around for 100 or so miles then it just crapped out. It will start with much pumping of the gass but wont idle and choppy at higher speed. I have nice blue spark at all six cylinders but seriously question the carbs. My project is a 1971 280S with the dual (I believe) ZENITH 35/40 INAT Two-Stage Downdraught carburetors First of all I think the for mentioned carbs are what I have. Did BMW use the same carbs back then? They look identical to pictures in a BMW troubleshooting book I have.
Do the rebuild kits work? Is there an aftermarket replacement brand that is suitable?

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Aside from carbs, have you checked everything else? Pump, filter and such?

·
Registered
1964 Mercedes 220Sb
103 Posts

·
Registered
1993 MB 500E, 1965 MB 220b
77 Posts
Sometimes a rebuild kit isn't enough. After 40 years of use & setting around, other internal parts wear, degrade or clog (particularly shaft bushings, floats, polyamide balls, various orifice componentry, etc). You might consider investigating prices for a professional rebuild & benchtest. Hemmings Motor News is a good source to find qualified providers that you can discuss the particulars of your carbs with. Years ago I sent my dual Solexes to Apple Hydraulics. It made a big difference. It will most likely run a couple hundred dollars, but optimally functioning carbs will make your driving experience much more pleasurable, safe & confident; especially since you've already addressed your ignition system upgrade.

Regarding your overall fuel delivery system; before making any major decision on the carbs, make sure the fuel is getting to them. Verify the condition of your fuel pump, filter(s) & fuel line from tank to carbs. Best Wishes :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts