Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320 2000 E320 4 Matic Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I made the mistake of pressure washing engine compartment with engine running. Immediately after, the car began to run very erratically and had no power at all. The Check Engine Electronics display came up on the dash, and the OBD2 reader displayed code P1580 -EA/CC/ISC ACTUATOR, RH. I let the car set until this morning to dry it out and the car started with the same displays but was running much better than yesterday. Any suggestions (besides not pressure washing the engine again) before I take it out on the road?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
No one has told KevinM what "P1580 -EA/CC/ISC ACTUATOR, RH" means. If you want to clean your engine, try looking on the Detailing forum to see what they say. There are a couple of professional detailers who I'm sure have given the proper procedure.

All I do is to wipe around a bit with a rag/towel that I have sprayed some cleaner onto and I rinse it the same way. I'm told Simply Green is pretty safe, but I'll bet some of the available degreasers would be OK to use also. Just don't spray them directly on the engine, and be especially careful around any of the electrical components.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Passenger side of head

on the front of the head,cam position sensor,drivers side towards the back you will see a short throttle cable going to a throttle position sensor just in front of the brake fluid reservoir.
Water cut down the voltage signal from one or both of these units.
Now with the engine off pop off the engine cover and give a couple of short sprays of wd40 to both of these units and any other exposed plugs and sockets.
let it sit for a bit replace the engine cover and start it up.You can check for any other pending codes write them down as well as the active one and then clear the code.See if it comes back,most likely won't.
Next time foamy brite engine cleaner to a warm not hot engine and glad wrap on all sockets,brush off heavy deposits and just hose it off,no nozzle just open hose end.With the engine off.:thumbsup:
At least you don't have an m104 or m119 engine,you get them wet and you need to strip them down to the plugs:eek:
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DTC P1580 & P0100

Thanks for all the quick replies and useful comments. I just drove the car and no problem up to 50 MPH and then I stomped the pedal and the car bogged down. I let off the throttle and the car resumed to normal. I got it back up to 50 MPH and stomped the gas and again it bogged down. I came home and checked codes again and now DTC P0100 came up "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit". Would the MAF be the cause of the car bogging down?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
You

got that socket wet also,besides the wd40 that drives away moisture,get a can of crc brand mass air sensor cleaner (maf) and remove the plug spray it and the socket let it dry and replace.You may as well follow the diy for cleaning the maf and while you have the air box off check that you did not spray water into the air filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P0100

Thanks, I will try that right now. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
and looking

at your profile,which engine did you wash down the m104 or the m112?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DTC PO507

Well, now you have me concerned; I have the M104 engine in my 1997 E320. You say that is a problem; please describe.
I bought the CRC MAF cleaner and removed and cleaned the MAF. I erased the codes and took the car for a ride. The car idled at 2000 RPM at a standstill, the engine still bogged down when I accelerated at 50 MPH, and when I got back I ran the OBD2 and found the P1580 and P0100 codes were gone, but now I got a code P0507 "Idle Air control System RPM Higher Than Expected". I feel like I am taking one step forward and two steps back.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,480 Posts
I don't know if you follow parallel topic about the member who killed his MAF with cleaner. Bear in mind, that those are first years of computerized engine control and we are paying the price of being Guinea pigs.
I've been washing my engines with plain water for longer than some members here live and never run into problems. (some misfire on old Fiat only), but than I know not to spray on electronics. Instead of learning the hard way which cleaner is good for connectors and which can screw them, why don't you use compressed air?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Remember what i said about the m104

and water.You may need to clean the maf again,check for moisture around the sensors at the front of the heads and lean a fan into the engine compartment over night to dry up the moisture.Also unscrew the ecu cover and give it a spray of wd40 and let it dry out.
it will,I had a member on the mercedesforum with a 420 m119 he washed and it took two days and several sprays to remove the moisture.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DTC P1580 & PO100 & P0507

Thanks to all for your replies to my problem. I took the advice of buying the CRC MAF cleaner and cleaned and sprayed all connections. Between that and waiting 3 days for the water to dry up, all three codes and Check Engine Light simply vanished. The bogging down of the engine when the pedal was stomped also fixed itself and all power has been restored. What a relief; thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts