Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing new struts, new level sensors and new compressor. Finally, the car raised and I drove it to the beach. On my way, the error for airmatic came up.
I scanned it after I got home and I got error code"5503 Recovery time during filling of central reservoir is too long".
Poked around online and most people said it's a weak compressor. So I changed the compressor again. Same error came back as I went to test drive it.

Any ideas guys? I'm going nuts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally gave up and took it to a mechanic. He said the front strut fitting was leaking and the rear air springs were not sitting right. So he replaced both and re-calibrated it and no more problems.
He charged me $2350. That's why I didn't want to go to a mechanic at first. Their eyes get so wide whenever they see GL 450. If this was a Toyota, I would have walked out of there with a $200 bill.
After all is said and done, I wonder if this car is really worth the headache. And I can tell you that I'm thinking of buying a new Lexus GX 460. And I'll never keep any luxury car past the warranty period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the same thing. It's a love hate relationship, expensive repairs. But it is a tank and keeps the wife and kids safe,and me when we go on trips. I did test drive the Lexus GX470 around 2002-3 area against all the other Suv's
and it was the best truck back then. The Lexus also has air suspension so maybe just stay away from the air suspension. Lease for 3 years and then give them back their junk is another option. Thanks and Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct. It is a love-hate relationship.
Now after I spent that money the car is driving like a dream - love.
When it goes down and costs all that money to repair - hate.

It is a really nice car and lovely car to drive when it is running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts