Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 S550
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a really good and safe drying towel...the Fieldcrest Royal Velvet towels are no longer available. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i buy loads of toilet paper for drying and waxing. I do this, as a cloth rag, will acumulate dirt. Constantly using a dirty rag will scratch your paint. It does not matter how clean you think your cloth rag is, it will still be full of fine particle crap that will score your paint

Regularly using & replacing toilet paper should mean you dont rub grit all over your paint and, in the long run, this should mean healthier paint

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
You have got to be S-----g ME!!!!!!!!! How tough can it be to dry a car off? Here are two ways that work for ME!!! A top quality water blade is the fastest way! the 2nd is MUCH MORE FUN!!! 60mph for a nice ride, it will be dry by the time you get home, then, a little Quick Detailer with a Micro-fiber cloth,and your done, AND!!,you have gotten in a nice little ride!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2004 clk55 amg
270 Posts
No need to run 60 mph to dry off your car, and besides...running your car will get more dirt on it...sorta defeats the purpose (i.m.h.o). Best way to dry a car is to get your leaf blower and blow off the water that way. no scratches from rags, no abrasives...just good clean air. Plus it removes water from all nooks and crannies that towels will not be able to reach.

·
Registered
77 Posts
good idea, but it could be said that you are blowing airborne particles onto your paint. At a guess, when you come to wax it, there will be nasties on your paint that could damage it. Thats what i have read. Anyway, i have never heard of an in depth analysis debating the merits of leaf blowers versus drying towels

wonder why

horses for courses, i'll stick to my poo roll!

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
sagers2 said:
I'm looking for a really good and safe drying towel...the Fieldcrest Royal Velvet towels are no longer available. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!
A towel is a towel, right? Unfortunately, this is not correct. If you grew up in a house like mine, Mom retired the old bath towels to the garage for car and dog duty. What Mom didn't realize is that most bath towels use a backing material that contains heavy polyester thread. The edges of the towel are stitched with polyester thread, too. Pound for pound, polyester is stronger than steel. This is great for long-lasting bath towels, but it's not so good for your car's paint. Traditional polyester and polyester blend thread scratches automotive paint finishes. Use paint-safe microfiber or 100% cotton detailing towels.

Your choice of wash tools is important, too. You should find a wash tool that is comfortable for you to use, but take a few things into consideration. First, your wash tool should hold a lot of soapy water. The more it holds, the more soapy water you can get on your car. This is important for lubrication. The lubrication created by soapy water is what prevents dirt from scratching the paint.
Use a wash tool that cleans easily. If it does not easily release dirt and grit, it's not safe. I like wash tools with a lot of fibers, like a lamb's wool mitt or a cotton-chenille-covered sponge. Contrary to many beliefs, the natural sea sponge and the boar's hair brush are not good wash tools. Modern wash tools make these relics things of the past. A safe wash brush can be used on the lower body panels, but should not be used above the bottom-of-the-door line.

The recent popularity of microfiber has created a large number of microfiber products, including microfiber wash mitts. In my own testing I have concluded that many of the microfiber wash mitts are not paint safe. If the fibers have hooked or split ends, designed for dry cleaning and dusting, the cloth will not be free-rinsing. This means that the cloth will retain dirt until it is heavily agitated in a washing machine. The retained dirt particles may scratch your paint.

For drying, a combination of tools may be necessary. The sheepskin chamois has been used for centuries as a towel for drying. This naturally soft leather is very absorbent. All-natural chamois are still a good choice, but they are not as effective or as easy to use as modern drying towels and synthetic chamois.

If you like to dry in a hurry, there are paint-safe squeegees available that will quickly remove 80% of the water from your car with just a few strokes. Follow up with a good towel, and you're done. If you use a paint-safe squeegee, be careful. It only takes one small dirt particle between the blade and your car to create a scratch.

-joseph

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I agree with S.A.MobileDetail. I've used the Absorber for many years and it's the best alone on light color cars and I chase it with a MF towel after the absorber to catch any small film of water that would show on a black car. What Meg's is pushing these days is their water magnet. It's OK but I don't think it works as well as the Absorber.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Toilet Paper?

wuzoo said:
i buy loads of toilet paper for drying and waxing. I do this, as a cloth rag, will acumulate dirt. Constantly using a dirty rag will scratch your paint. It does not matter how clean you think your cloth rag is, it will still be full of fine particle crap that will score your paint

Regularly using & replacing toilet paper should mean you dont rub grit all over your paint and, in the long run, this should mean healthier paint
wuzoo,

Your argument makes some sense, but the TP I'm familar with is made to disintegrate when it gets wet. Don't you get loads of little wet pieces of the paper all over the finish, driveway, you, etc?

As to waxing with it, if you are using a paste wax, maybe...

Anyway, who am I to judge? If it works for you, go for it! :)

Musikmann

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Costco sells 100% cotton terry towels. In general I use the California blade + cotton terry to finish drying.

·
Registered
ML-55 - 2000,
902 Posts
So does Sams club for I guess 5.99 a piece....well worth it 100% cotton Made in the US

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,036 Posts
I actually have a very large cotton towel that I use 1st. I have my niece or wife (whoever's willing to put up with my wash twice a week obsession) stand on one side of the car while I'm on the other. We each hold a corner pretty tight and slowly drag the towel from the front to back. I go back over the sides and all I have to do is spot dry the cracks. My niece just thinks it's neat to see how it dries completely just from the towel. My wife just calls me OCD and asks if she can go away.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,614 Posts
Get youself a good microfiber towel and you'll be fine. I have been using these scratch-free products for a year now on my black ML and I'm very happy. I get mine (the Big Blue) from Classic Motoring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts