Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
E 320 , Cay S, ML500
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No question, it is a better ride than my current 2003 ML 500. Interior is fancier and better quality.

But....
It did not make me rush to trade in the 2003 ML for many different reasons.

1) Price - ML 500 is getting into the Cayenne S pricing range. I did not feel it was giving me anything close / over my Cay S.

2) Resale value of the current ML. I bought mine just a few days back at $29.7K for only 17000 miles. It must have hurt the previous owner.

3) As much as styling is a matter of personal taste. There is something about new ML that does not click it. far too many creases. I like the curves (Porsche ownes this) and simplicity (W163).

4) lack of standard low range gear

In all, a better choice in many ways for the new ML owners but at the same time a tough choice for many current ML owners. It will be intersting to see if this 164 holds value any better than 163.

Either way .. enjoy the ride..

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Well said....this new model, is really a matter of taste...either you like it , or you don't.....

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Sanjay - 5/14/2005 1:16 PM

No question, it is a better ride than my current 2003 ML 500. Interior is fancier and better quality.

But....
It did not make me rush to trade in the 2003 ML for many different reasons.

1) Price - ML 500 is getting into the Cayenne S pricing range. I did not feel it was giving me anything close / over my Cay S.

2) Resale value of the current ML. I bought mine just a few days back at $29.7K for only 17000 miles. It must have hurt the previous owner.

3) As much as styling is a matter of personal taste. There is something about new ML that does not click it. far too many creases. I like the curves (Porsche ownes this) and simplicity (W163).

4) lack of standard low range gear

In all, a better choice in many ways for the new ML owners but at the same time a tough choice for many current ML owners. It will be intersting to see if this 164 holds value any better than 163.
I like the W164 over my '98 for the uses we need it for, and for it's engineering. Appearance I'd give it an 8, but the Cayenne is in the 6 range, IMO-totally wierd. I know aesthetics is totally personal.

If I were getting a V8, I'd wait for the 4-valve MLs (next year) which should give the Cayenne S a run for its money speed wise, along with being more efficient.

·
Registered
E 320 , Cay S, ML500
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GregW / Oregon - 5/14/2005 11:58 PM

If I were getting a V8, I'd wait for the 4-valve MLs (next year) which should give the Cayenne S a run for its money speed wise, along with being more efficient.
It is not just the brutal speed but handling and drive feel. As much as I am MB fan.. (C, E , ML 320, ML 500) but I find it very hard to put the ML (4-valve or whatever) in same category as Cay S handling wise. I am sure that by the time new V8 show up on the ML.. Porsche would have moved the Cay S a notch higher.

In terms of fuel efficiency, Cay S has been giving better milage (18.5-19 on the highway vs. 17 - 17.5 on the ML 500) despite Cay S being heavier than ML. I will have to see what the 4-Valve V8 will do,

As you said, styling is a matter of personal taste..

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I personally like the new ML, but what I'm not a fan of is the deep dash. Anyone else notice this ?? I like short or shallow dashes like in the ML and G, it lets you see better while off-roading and while just driving in general. The G class has the shortest dash of them all, I love it. [:p]

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Having owned a 00 430 and now own a 05 500 I had the opportunity to drive a 06 350. I just don't like the way it looks, and couldn't put my finger on it til today. The 163's look German with their rounded simplicity, and the 164's look American with their sharp edges and flat sculpture. That's why I bought a 163 last fall. My dealer is still getting requests for new 163's. What's that tell ya??? [8D]

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
RE: ML looks

dakat - 5/15/2005 12:53 PM

Having owned a 00 430 and now own a 05 500 I had the opportunity to drive a 06 350. I just don't like the way it looks, and couldn't put my finger on it til today. The 163's look German with their rounded simplicity, and the 164's look American with their sharp edges and flat sculpture. That's why I bought a 163 last fall. My dealer is still getting requests for new 163's. What's that tell ya??? [8D]
While I don't think it is a masterpiece of design, the W164 does now have the family resemblance to the rest of the M-B line, IMO. Do you think the other models look American? Rounded German simplicity existed at some point, but the latest offerings from BMW, Audi and VW are not in that idiom.

·
Registered
ML350 Iridium/Black
182 Posts
my .02 re: the Cayenne - i think it only looks good with the SportDesign package and Sport Techno rims, otherwise, it looks like ass...plus, according to much of what i read, the car has some serious build quality issues (check out the latest Automobile mag long term test - the thing practically fell apart on them...) don't get me wrong, it's a dream of mine to own a 911 or even Boxter S one day, but it better not fall apart on me...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
OT: Dakat - Central Coast

Dakat, I went to school at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo many years ago and love that area. What do you do down there?

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
RE: OT: Dakat - Central Coast

GregW/Oregon:
I'm a young 66 years old. I retired from Boeing after 40 years as a machinist/fitter. I was based out of Vandenberg AFB. I worked in the Aerospace industry wherever there was a missile silo, including on Kwajalein Atoll in the western pacific. I have always been involved in racing and still am on sprint cars locally. I was just a highly paid union blue collar worker that saved and invested my money all my life so I can enjoy my retirement. I also have a home in Montana where I worked in the middle 60's. When I graduated from high school in Iowa in 1957 I always wanted to own a Mercedes. I'm on my second one now and love it. Yes this is a perfect area to live in if you can afford it. I paid the price early on to profit from it now! I'll never leave. I've been everywhere else! Thanks for asking! [8D]

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
RE: OT: Dakat - Central Coast

That's great--I'm not far behind you at 57 (next month). If I'd just stop spending money on cars, maybe I could have a retirement like yours!

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
The new ML reminds me of a Honda CRV from the side. I was going to test drive one, but as i sat there looking at it from outside and inside, on the dealer lot, nothing really impressed me. I had a CayS, prob the best overall if you can deal with all the recall crapola and gremlins. I found a way out of my lease with and took the window of opportunity. Cayenne Resale is taking a big s*** also IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts