Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
As in you ran the engine ok after the pin got lost in the distributor hole? If that's the case then it sounds like the pin must be in the oil sump?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #42
As in you ran the engine ok after the pin got lost in the distributor hole? If that's the case then it sounds like the pin must be in the oil sump?
Yes, I ran it after the pin got lost to check for coolant leaks noted in my other thread. I'm thinking it's in the sump as well. I'm gonna drain the oil tomorrow morning and have a peak. Bringing the fam to the horse races in Saratoga today.......awesome venue!

Registered
I know it was flogged ad-nauseam, the use of magnets and non-magnetic stainless steel dowel pin...

but

it is likely that the SS dowel pin is cold rolled thus it becomes somewhat magnetic.
Best results _possibly_ lie in use of a rare earth magnet. PLain magnet will do nuttin. Rare Earth Magnets come free from old hard drives (watch your fingers) and have effect even on plain SS.
This magnet will not transfer its magnetism through the oil plug metal but could be glued onto the bottom of the pan, close to the plug. If you're lucky... play the Lotto immediately.

Registered
I doubt its stainless but even if it is, if its in there I believe you could still dredge the bottom with a coat hanger and get it.

Registered

Registered
MrSpock, if you enjoy horse racing you ought to check out Galway one summer - there's a week-long festival last week of July / first week of August.

On a seperate note, if you're unable to retrieve the pin you can consider getting a Dimple M26x1.5x16 Magnetic Drain Plug - this sucker is super strong and if the pin is ever in the vicinity it will get caught. I have two installed, second in the rear diff.

Registered
Yes, I ran it after the pin got lost to check for coolant leaks noted in my other thread. I'm thinking it's in the sump as well. I'm gonna drain the oil tomorrow morning and have a peak. Bringing the fam to the horse races in Saratoga today.......awesome venue!
I hope your putting some cash down on a winning horse because you've got some good luck!

Registered
MrSpock, if you enjoy horse racing you ought to check out Galway one summer - there's a week-long festival last week of July / first week of August.

On a seperate note, if you're unable to retrieve the pin you can consider getting a Dimple M26x1.5x16 Magnetic Drain Plug - this sucker is super strong and if the pin is ever in the vicinity it will get caught. I have two installed, second in the rear diff.
Another magnet post - :eek

Premium Member
Magnetic drain plugs

On a separate note, if you're unable to retrieve the pin you can consider getting a Dimple M26x1.5x16 Magnetic Drain Plug - this sucker is super strong and if the pin is ever in the vicinity it will get caught. I have two installed, second in the rear diff.
I wonder if they will fit my 380SL ?

Registered
Indeed Graham, but my understanding so far is that we cannot ascertain if that pin is or is not magnetic... The plug won't do any harm and just might save the day.

Aussiemerc, you'd have to check your plug sizento confirm 100%. Dimple do a range of different sizes so I'm sure a fit can be found, have a look at their website.

Registered
Well i did read that poster had a bore scope .They do come in a few sizes and small enough to get in to the drain hole of the sump .Take a look you might even find it basking in the gold liquid .

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #53
Well........I drained the oil and poked around with my borescope without success. I was on my back for about an hour looking around and finally gave up. At this point I've refilled it with oil and I'm going to run it as is. I still believe it is in the sump and I just had shit luck in getting to the location where it's sitting. It did not come out with the old oil as I dumped the catch pan. Thanks for all the feedback.

Registered
We are all keeping an open mind in this one .I hope you have trouble free motoring for years to come . But i would get a sump magnet i have one in my W124 .Each time i drain the oil i check it for metal shards but as yet it is clear each time .The oil pump swirls the oil in the sump at high speeds and luck is it just might get picked up with the gizmo magnet.Good luck ..

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
15 Participants
plinker17722
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing