Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my 35 years of working on Mercedes I have seen several oil pumps get destroyed from sucking foreign objects through the screen on the pick up tube. I may not happen today or tomorrow but the odds are that eventually that pin will get sucked through the screen and into the pump and could cause catastrophic damage to the engine.
I would suggest draining the oil and fishing around with a strong flexible magnetic probe to try and retrieve the pin, it will be time well spent. You may want to blow compressed air down the dist hole to get the pin down into the pan for better fishing results.

Best of luck, Robert

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the gauze mesh screen is to small to let a screw get in to the works .
Initially that is how it looks. After said object swirls around in the pick up it will eventually weaken the screen and get sucked into the pump. I have personally seen it happen on more than one occasion. I've seen plastic bits from the rails get sucked through the screen.

It's a gamble to leave things in the oil pan. How lucky do you feel???

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey Robert, fully agree with you - driving with bits in the oil sump is a little bit like holding a grenade with the pin removed in your hand... it's a gamble! However the idea of removing the engine or dropping the subframe to get access to the oil sump isn't fancy either. Here's hoping the bits can be retrieved via the drain!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, as large as the drain plug is on that engine he has a pretty good chance of fishing it out. It may take some time but that's how it goes sometimes.
I've spent a lot of time looking for bolts and such dropped in the engine compartment while working on an engine. It's not the most efficient use of time when you're working flat rate but you have to do what you have to do!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I didn't drop the pin that holds the chain guide. The pin that dropped was a smaller pin I was using to drive the chain guide into the cover.
If you have a similar pin, maybe you can test to see how magnetic it is.

If pin is in pan, I can see it being difficult to first find, then drag, with just a claw type pick up tool.

For those talking about "fishing" it out of drain hole - how exactly to you suggest doing that? Maybe sweep with a piece of bent wire or rod?

PS: I once dropped the hold down bolt for a djet injector down into the intake manifold. I first located it with a mirror & light. Then was able to "attract" it with a small magnet. It was sitting down near the intake valve. This just to explain my "attraction" to use of magnets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suggested he use a magnet to try and fish it out. The drain plug hole on his engine is 26mm so that is a good thing in this situation. The worse thing would be to not try at all to get it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did too, early on in this thread. He advised that it was a S/S pin that may not be magnetic.
Sorry, I must have missed that. In that case using a bore scope to look around in there would be beneficial. Then it may be possible to grab it with some mechanical fingers.
All he can do is try, pulling the oil pan on one of those engines is a major undertaking.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hopefully silence is good news in this case.. I started the chain replacement today and I'm being super uber ultra careful not to drop anything into the abyss - I'm using thick cardboard with cutouts for the chain only, plus magnetic trays just in case I drop a circlip etc.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Initially that is how it looks. After said object swirls around in the pick up it will eventually weaken the screen and get sucked into the pump. I have personally seen it happen on more than one occasion. I've seen plastic bits from the rails get sucked through the screen.

It's a gamble to leave things in the oil pan. How lucky do you feel???
That pin will stay at the bottom of the pan if it is at the bottom of the pan as long as the engine has oil.

But

If its not at the bottom of the pan, it may still have a long rough journey to get there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes it ok thinking this, but would you or anyone on here just let it lie in there . I know i would not,, it would have to come out for me so i could smash it to bits with a large coal hammer..

·
Registered
1 Posts
While I was replacing the water pump I decided to replace the timing chain guides, sprockets and chain since I had most of the stuff out of the way. I was putting in the last driver side upper guide pin with a hammer and small metal 1.5" dowel when the dowel jumped and fell into the distributor opening. I could hear the clink clink sound as it fell down behind the timing chain cover and most likely into the sump. idiot me had a rag in that opening for the last 3 days and decided to pull it to do some cleaning up. The manual was not clear to me as to the oil plumbing/flow but I think there is a pick up screen in the sump and I should be ok. My first thought is just leave it there as it will not get through the screen. Is there any reason to worry if the dowel is rolling around the sump or should I prioritize getting that thing outta there before I fire up the car?
Drag a magnet across the oil pan and drag the dowel to the drain hole OR place a magnet on oil pan and leave it to retain the dowel.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,617 Posts
Drag a magnet across the oil pan and drag the dowel to the drain hole OR place a magnet on oil pan and leave it to retain the dowel.
Read the entire thread. The dowel may not be magnetic. Placing a magnet on the pan would require gluing it on.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Read the entire thread. The dowel may not be magnetic. Placing a magnet on the pan would require gluing it on.
Thanks Rowdie - saves me from repeating myself :)

Seems we have lost Mr. Spock for the moment. I am sure we are all interested to know how he is making out.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Yes it ok thinking this, but would you or anyone on here just let it lie in there . I know i would not,, it would have to come out for me so i could smash it to bits with a large coal hammer..
If the choice was down to just letting it lie and pulling the pan. I would just leave it. But of course I would do everything I could to try and get it out.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm still here and will post an update when I drain the oil. I currently have family in town and am trying to work through a coolant leak post water pump replacement. The water pump and timing chain rebuild were done simultaneously.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts