Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scheduled of course... for the 1000 mile inspection etc.

They gave me an '05 ML350 SE as a loaner. What a piece of garbage. Interior panels are loose and depressible, things are rattling and squeaking, and already the overhead lights are broken. And it only has 1500 miles on it. GMC makes better quality suv's than this hunk of junk. To go from one the best cars in the MB model lineup to the worst in their entire line of cars is quite an eye-opening contrast and to me brings up the question again, how on earth did MB make this a hot-seller?

Anyhow, back to the point of this post. Their service department staff was courteous and treated me like a king. A good start. Barb, my service advisor was quite amused at what I brought her. She recalled about how this was the first SLK55 at their dealership 2 months ago and to this day it was still the only one she has seen. She was admiring the car so much that I started having visions of her flogging it around town as soon as I left. Talk about paranoia. While I was there, I inquired about installing SIRIUS in my car and more importantly, what other alternatives were there to the wart-like boot-lid installation of the antenna. To my surprise they elaborated by saying that anything was possible especially since they contracted all their oem audio and electronics installs to an outside shop. Immediately, she contacted the shop for me and made arrangements. The shop's owner was confident in saying that the installation of the SIRIUS antenna underneath one of the bonnet aero-fin outlets near the windshield would be feasible and installation would virtually be no different than doing it on an SL. They quoted me $1200. Kinda pricey for a sat radio install but I gave them the green light. I'll try anything as long it stays clean and oem looking and doesn't involve an ugly wart. I hope to get my car back tomorrow evening or thursday. I'll keep everyone updated on this stealthy antenna install, how effective the reception is, and of course some pictures.

btw, I miss it already. Only 3 hours we've been apart but seems like a eternity [;)]

·
Registered
slk 350
19 Posts
I think you'll be happy with the Sirius antenna install. I had mine installed under the hood cowling and it works very well. Unless you look for it you can't see it.

I also had the less than impressive experience of driving an ML when I took my SLK 230 in for service last year. Hard to believe these vehicles come from the same company. Couldn't be happier with my new SLK 350 though. Just passed 1800 miles and everything is tight and rattle free and of course an absolute joy to drive. Not one second of buyer's remorse!

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
masmole - 2/16/2005 4:59 AM
They gave me an '05 ML350 SE as a loaner. What a piece of garbage. Interior panels are loose and depressible, things are rattling and squeaking, and already the overhead lights are broken. And it only has 1500 miles on it. GMC makes better quality suv's than this hunk of junk.
Well unlike your SLK, the ML is built in the US. That's the biggest reason why US built cars don't generally sell well in Europe - the quality of the interior materials and manufacture is lamentably poor, without exception.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
masmole - 2/16/2005 4:59 AM

scheduled of course... for the 1000 mile inspection etc.
Was this required by MB or did you decide to take it in? The reason I ask is that my dealer mentioned nothing of this and have now racked up 8500 miles on the clock since the start of Decemeber.

I have heard varying views on this matter and decided it came down to personal choice so opted not to.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Masmole:

Please share the love on the installer for me. I want the SAT radio as well. I'll compare with downtown. The dealership here says they have a place in the city that installs too.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jmejones,
It's MB of Orland Park and they contract out some of their installs to a shop called Audio Tech. But here's an update... my car is not done. Apparently, they didn't have all the necessary parts for the install but they have been ordered and will arrive tomorrow. Another update, now my dealer claims they do the SIRIUS install in-house including a custom hidden antenna installation per customer request. Very strange new info I'm receiving from them as this seems to be a recent development. Must have had a falling out with the independent shop or something. Regardless, my dealer is now claiming they can do the custom install themselves but it won't be ready until friday evening... which means I get to keep this POS ML320 for two more fun-filled days. yay. I hate this more and more everyday. Today I noticed that a section of the rear seats keeps sliding forward every time I brake hard because the latch is broken. Scary that there are people out there who love their ML's.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dbslk - 2/16/2005 3:10 AM
Was this required by MB or did you decide to take it in? The reason I ask is that my dealer mentioned nothing of this and have now racked up 8500 miles on the clock since the start of Decemeber.

I have heard varying views on this matter and decided it came down to personal choice so opted not to.
Not required but recommended by the dealership when my car was delivered to me. Apparently, it's a free service visit that "replaces" what used to be a few years of free scheduled maintainance. Sadly, no more free maintainance for 2005 models and beyond in the US. Regardless, I figured an inspection was a good idea to make sure all systems are in good working order before I really put it through its paces after having just completed the break-in period.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
In many places, this 1K - 3k visit also has the purpose of introducing you to the service staff...kind of a marketing thing...[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
i dropped my car this morning for the 1000-3000 mile check, having called only 20 minutes beforehand. keenan motors took the car right in, adjusted the wiper park position , checked for error codes, washed , vacuumed and dried in under 70 minutes. i'm sold. friendly, fast service and clean to boot. [:D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts