Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
MB 06 R500; 04 Jag XJR; 02 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2006 R500 and we noticed that when parked for a while that the front passenger corner (only) droops or sags towards the ground.

At first, if you opened one of the doors or unlocked the car, you could hear what sounded like an air compressor, and the front corner would raise and level out the vehicle. Recently, that doesn't happen as quick.

The last few times she driven it my wife gets a warning while driving the vehicle that says "STOP CAR TOO LOW". It seems to fix itself and the warning goes away. This doesn't happen each time she drives it but the issue is certainly getting worse.

Any idea what this could be and what we can expect the cost to be for something like this?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It does sound like a leaking strut and you should fix it soon or the pump may burn out, more expense.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue on my 2006 R aswell - my rear left is also sagging due to a leaky air suspension. Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty from MB. cause I know this will otherwise cost over 1000 to fix....

So far, I have taken the vehicle in for fixes 2 times after the original warranty expired and without that this extended warranty I would be very upset... estimated repair bill is over 2000 dollars (including 140 dollars an hour for labor)...

I know that first year models have issues but I cant believe the amount of issues I have been having 4 years into owning this vehicle... I am the original owner...I will definitely complain to MB.

ALSO my headlights I have noticed that my headlights have been starting to become hazy inside...I dont think this is a normal...any comments..

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
Our 2007 had this problem. Went in 2 separate times for the air suspension. Pump and control module were replaced first. Then the right rear air strut was replaced because it had a "pin hole" leak. Luckily, it happened before the factory warranty ran out. I certainly hope the newer ones are better built.
Eric, are you starting to see more of this problem with the W251s in your shop?
-Robert

·
52,804 Posts
Our 2007 had this problem. Went in 2 separate times for the air suspension. Pump and control module were replaced first. Then the right rear air strut was replaced because it had a "pin hole" leak. Luckily, it happened before the factory warranty ran out. I certainly hope the newer ones are better built.
Eric, are you starting to see more of this problem with the W251s in your shop?
-Robert
Yes, mainly front struts. More so than the 221/220

·
Registered
124 Posts
update: took the R to he stealer for service under EWL warranty - told them about the low left rear suspension. They did the basic...ran the codes - did a visual probably but said they didn't find any wrong with it.. They called me and told me the R is ready. When to pick it up... the driver came running down saying the rear suspension is down on the wheels.. All in all, they have kept the vehicle for about over one week now - order new parts and should get back the car hopefully this week..Overall, not to impressed with MB quality the R is only 4 years old and have been thru a lot of work at the stealers...it doesn't speak well for MB...:(

·
Registered
MB 06 R500; 04 Jag XJR; 02 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Droopy Suspension

I would have to agree with smxnyc. The quality of the two R-Class Mercedes is horrible. I first purchased my wife a 2006 R350 and we were floored when we learned it didn't have memory seats, power steering wheel, etc. It had no options which we figured any Mercedes would have. So, I purchased her a 2006 R500 that had everything in it. The reality, however, was that they both have had significant mechanical issues. Her current R500 needs a steering pump, a/c compressor, and apparently a front air strut. The R350 was under warranty, but we used it a lot of silly stuff like the a/c unit getting 'stuck' at 84 degrees (during the summer). Ugh!

I've owned a lot of nice cars in my time -- 4 Jaguars, Maserati, etc. -- and right now, we won't be buying another Mercedes. I think the Chrysler deal ruined them.

·
Registered
'03 Mercedes S320cdi, '01 Mercedes S430
72 Posts
I have now an interesting suspension problem... not sure what it is...
So this is the story:

I have an S320 and I had an error message says Suspension fault right front side. It was on Star. Not on dash! So I checked my struts and that right side one was leaking on the top there was a small crack!
So I bought a new strut for £££ and replaced the faulty one.
After 2-3 days the car was and is working fine but realised that every morning that side (front right) is too low! The car drops its height to the tyres on that suspension which is new!

However after I click open button on my remote the car levels itself back to normal without even start the engine...
What is this any idea?
It cant be leak... its something else I think...or?:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
update: took the R to he stealer for service under EWL warranty - told them about the low left rear suspension. They did the basic...ran the codes - did a visual probably but said they didn't find any wrong with it.. They called me and told me the R is ready. When to pick it up... the driver came running down saying the rear suspension is down on the wheels.. All in all, they have kept the vehicle for about over one week now - order new parts and should get back the car hopefully this week..Overall, not to impressed with MB quality the R is only 4 years old and have been thru a lot of work at the stealers...it doesn't speak well for MB...:(

Unfortunately I need to agree with you even if I hate to say this but it looks like MB sacrificed the quality for to be more modern than other cars just to win on the competition... Thats how it looks like for me. They use systems which obviously does not work for long...or maybe thats the system "get a fault so you need to bring the car for their service..."
Seriously I dont know what is this at this point maybe it is how it will be in future... cars only be used for short time?

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have a 2006 R500 and we noticed that when parked for a while that the front passenger corner (only) droops or sags towards the ground.

At first, if you opened one of the doors or unlocked the car, you could hear what sounded like an air compressor, and the front corner would raise and level out the vehicle. Recently, that doesn't happen as quick.

The last few times she driven it my wife gets a warning while driving the vehicle that says "STOP CAR TOO LOW". It seems to fix itself and the warning goes away. This doesn't happen each time she drives it but the issue is certainly getting worse.

Any idea what this could be and what we can expect the cost to be for something like this?

De-Opresso could you please let us know what happened then?
What was the end result of this issue?
As I am having the same problem now...

·
52,804 Posts
De-Opresso could you please let us know what happened then?
What was the end result of this issue?
As I am having the same problem now...
Most probably an air leak on that strut and it is now making the pump work too hard to keep it up, if left like this it will burn the pump out as well.

Take it to a workshop that has star diagnostics and run all the pneumatic tests, this will find the problem part.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most probably an air leak on that strut and it is now making the pump work too hard to keep it up, if left like this it will burn the pump out as well.

Take it to a workshop that has star diagnostics and run all the pneumatic tests, this will find the problem part.
Hello Eric,

But how could leak a new air suspension strut?
And this problem did not occur before the replacement with the old cracked one.

I am now really confused.
Maybe I should put back the old cracked one?
It was all okay with that one.

But... I mean seriously?

Just did a quick test on the new strut and no leaks obviously on the top of the strut... its brand new.

So where else could be this leakage?

·
52,804 Posts
Hello Eric,

But how could leak a new air suspension strut?
And this problem did not occur before the replacement with the old cracked one.

I am now really confused.
Maybe I should put back the old cracked one?
It was all okay with that one.

But... I mean seriously?

Just did a quick test on the new strut and no leaks obviously on the top of the strut... its brand new.

So where else could be this leakage?
The pneumatic tests will find the leak but if you do not wish to spend money on the diagnostics put the old strut back and see how it fairs. It is possible the new strut is not actually new but a recon, shit happens. Either way you need to figure it out before it damages your pump and costs you more money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The pneumatic tests will find the leak but if you do not wish to spend money on the diagnostics put the old strut back and see how it fairs. It is possible the new strut is not actually new but a recon, shit happens. Either way you need to figure it out before it damages your pump and costs you more money.
Yes I know this fault can result in a new pump too.
I decided to park that car down for few days until I get my hands on an MB Star to check the errors.

The strut that I installed was new, if the strut leaks then it must be from the bags inside as the top is okay I just checked by water and soap.
No leaks on the top and the air pipe and hose looks also fine at the top.

I really consider now to install the old one back but I will replace the seals on that one first.
Either way i will report it back what it was...
And thanks :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts