Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Magma Red SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without sounding stupid, I have been a drive your car and have someone change the oil when needed driver for the past 28 years. Never owning a real car until now. Best up until now was a Mazda 929, wife's had a Lincoln Continental V-8 front wheel drive was still not as fun as this 4 cyl.

I purchased my 1999 SLK230 32,251 miles on 11/29/08 and have driven it with the top down every chance I get. I searched and researched different cars that I wanted. Originally my goal was to get back to my high school days with a 450SL like Richard Gere's in AG. Then I started test driving different sport's cars.

The first SLK230 I drove was a stick, my wife got a 2nd gear scratch and not even shifting out of 2nd until 45-50 mph I knew I had to have one. However I tend to multi task a lot and a stick is not for me.

Pretty much had given up on SLK because of the mileage I had seen on other cars and was going to settle for a 2006 BMW Z4Osi or a 2002 Jaguar XKR started negotiating pricing when I found my destiny. Always wanted retractable hardtop but when it looked bleak was going to settle for raw power of the Z4 or XKR both where fun cars but when I see them driving around town with their tops bubbled in the wind I grin and just think about how much I love my SLK.

I have been enjoying my car and am open to any driving tips, suggestions for getting the most fun, quickness and enjoyment out of a 1999 SLK230 automatic.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
There are two things that will help you get the most out of your SLK:

(1) Go to a high performance driving school. That's something that will always stay with you and help you get the most out of any car you drive.

(2) Put the car in 4th gear unless you're on the highway. Fifth gear to fourth is a mechanical shift while 2, 3, and 4 are electronic shifts and are much faster. The car can find a gear faster if it can do it all electronically.

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts
More fun if you
1. Concentrate on driving (less multi-tasking) and
2. Find some windy mountain roads and sweeping country roads where you are on your own. This car is best on curves. Straight lines and motorways are dull.

Top down is best, with either just the wind and the music of the exhaust, or with your favourite driving playing.

Most hated experience is being behind a SUV anywhere (they are slow and block your vision) or a Hog (Harley) on curves.

·
Registered
2016 SLK300 (2011 SLK300 and 2002 SLK230 Sold)
1,009 Posts
yeh, for me windy curvey isolated roads have been the most fun with top down! and second most fun with a girl friend passenger's hair flying in the wind :D

·
Registered
1999 Magma Red SLK230
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot of curvy roads here in Oklahoma City I drive with top down always unless raining. Music always blaring and the interstate has some great high bank turns
Hogs not a problem but almost every day I have to drive behind or around cattle trucks because the stockyards are 5 miles from my home. Been driving in 4th which has really made a difference. My wife has too many allergies for top to be down but for me it's worth the suffering. Only wish pipes of car sounded deeper and I decided which grille and which remote top controller to install.

Keep the suggestions flowing.

·
Registered
SLK 320, 450 SL
629 Posts
4th gear tip

(2) Put the car in 4th gear unless you're on the highway. Fifth gear to fourth is a mechanical shift while 2, 3, and 4 are electronic shifts and are much faster. The car can find a gear faster if it can do it all electronically.
Good tip Bruce! And 4th to 5th is also mechanical rather than electronic?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts